348 - More problems with spark plug replacement | FerrariChat

348 More problems with spark plug replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fguy, Jan 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    I am still trying to replace the spark plugs in my 348, so I ordered the recommended DR8EIX part number from Advance Auto Parts; they did not have enough in inventory so I received 4 units from one store and 4 from another. Surprise: both sets came without the screw-on tips. Took the back and they said all of them came that way. Got my money back... what to do next? Is this a common thing? Please help!

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Buy new caps or take the old ones off and clean them

3. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Order them from Amazon. Make sure tips are included. Several offerings with and without tips.

f355spider likes this.
  4. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    I have ordered them from Amazon; the picture shows them with the tips. We'll see when they arrive next week. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    Spark plugs arrived from Amazon: no tips. I guess I'll use the old ones as suggested. Thank you.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'd return them. "Not as advertised." :)

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I have two boxes of new DR8EIX plugs and they have no tips. Seems that that's how they come.

As for the tips, you can get them separately on Ebay. One thing I noticed in the case of the usual screw-on tips provided with the plugs is that they are mostly made of fairly soft casting (Mazak alloy or something) and that, over time, the spring clip in the spark plug cap creates a groove (sinks) in the soft tip which makes removal of the caps very difficult (they are like "frozen"). Aluminium or brass tips will not give you this problem.

8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    call NGK and see if they will send you some terminal nuts.....every so often companies do something right!

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Seriously, why is this an issue? Use the old ones and be done with it.

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    I had already ordered another set from Advance Auto Parts which also came without tips. I decided to clean and use the tips from the old Bosch plugs. I finished the plug replacement yesterday: the car purrs now. Thank you for all the feedback.

Bertil likes this.
  11. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is odd why some places sell with the terminal tips while others do not. My opinion is why would you ever want a plug where the tip could vibrate loose and fall in the cylinder on replacement procedure?

Lol, probably never happened to anyone but I always snug the tips with vice grip wrench with rubber cover. You can't see into the cylinder if replacing in the car so I spray air to remove dirt and USB camera to look for broken snapped plug insulator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk