More proof 308s are going up | Page 4 | FerrariChat

More proof 308s are going up

Discussion in '308/328' started by MS250, Oct 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

It's a right hand drive glass car down under. That is rarer than the Hope diamond.

It's not the ASKING PRICE that creates value (if it were 308's are now worth 3,000,000) because that is the least I would let mine go for) IT's the SELLING price. Lets see what it sells for US dollars

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You should really stop with the Arrogance. ...the green back has taken a kicking....sad, but true. The point of this thread was to illustrate the rise in price of 308s...which i have clearly illustrated. Accept it or deny it is up to you. Stop finding excuses to why the cars are high i asking price...its down under, its a right hand drive...next you'll be telling us its not of this planet ;). I think we do agree on certain things from other threads, but you gotta get out of this denial my friend.

PS..the hope diamond there is only one....a glass 308 712 :p

3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I agree. The PacRim factor is going to change the complexion of the market unlike what has been seen before. India will broaden the impact also. There is new big money, and a new middle class forming. Ferrari won't drastically increase the production numbers of it's new models, they need to protect the brand, and I don't disagree. This will amount to the older cars commanding more money. And let's face it, even though there were what 12-14k 308's made for the world through its 4 various versions, how many could be left, 4-5K? How many burnt, wrecked or were sacrificed over the past 33 years? 30+ years is a long time, and given the entry point cost for a 308, there probably have been more trashed than not. I can't imagine there been so many garage queen, museum quality cars left, maybe a handful.

Been following the market for 10 years now, and all the factors seem to add to an appreciation building.

Phil

4. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Pot, this is kettle, YOUR BLACK!

5. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ROLMAO !!

6. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Thank you, I'll be here all week. Tip your wait staff...

:)

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you would actually read my posts one this subject I never said that a 308 isn't increasing in value only that they have barely kept up with inflation for the past decade AND that they are not worth $150,000-$200,000 as you say they are.

The only dispute I have with you is your claim that a 308 that has $150,000 worth of work in it is suddenly worth $150,000. It is not and you know that too.

How did you ever get to be a moderator anyway? You troll more than anyone I know here, I thought it was your job to keep a lid on people like you

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

My insurance company will agree to its value, they are people too :)

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Do the insurance carrier's view exotic's in a different way than other car's in referance to the money invested in their upkeep or modification's? I know you can get insurance for car's in which the money invested in upgrade's and upkeep is included in the car's overall value.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The catch is you have to pay more to get them to agree to a higher value. The more you pay, the more it is worth.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

They will only give you market value - unless you have agreed to (and bought) a higher valued package. Insurance is like anything else. You get what you pay for and nothing more. They will attempt to screw you in the beginning - they all do that just to test you. I had a 79 MG Midget back in high school (1983) that was in excellent shape. It was hit beyond repair by a lady that ran a red light one afternoon. The ins company tried to cut me a check for about $700. (the "test" part). I had three letters from dealers all stating that if they sold that car then in the shape it was in prior to the accident, they would ask $3500. Those three letters got me a $3500 check.

I deal with ins companies lies 5 days a week. Don't even get me started...

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I pay $1100 a year for my boxer 12 month coverage, $500 deductable, insured for appraised value at $140K which is what they will pay me if it gets wrote off. Im not complaining and if the 308 is insured for $150K then thats what they'll pay me if it gets wrote off or stolen or whatever....

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The falling dollar is probably a bigger story than any real rise in 308 prices.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You are in good shape with that.

15. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    That's exactly right.

16. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Heeeeeyyyyyy....be nice !!! ;)........i thought to be labled troll status you had to have 10,000 post or greater :p

Odds are Tommy, the 308 once the restoring starts to ocurr, you can bet those people will most likely not sell them, but do it for passion. The odd one that has 150-200 into the car, will most likely sell oversees, or to a large city collector. I just want you to think alittle more globally about it thats all. Whether you like it or not, the US market is not the only market around.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You are right about that and if that 308 in Australia sells for 100,000 I will not be completely and totally surprised out of my life. It's glass and a right hander. How many of those are there? 50? Sort of like and Enzo vs FXX. Same car but not the same car.

I would be surprised beyond words if an 84 QV did that down there.

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    712 ballpark breakout the following.

100 (or odd more) US Wet Sump

200 (or odd more) Right handers

400 (or odd more) Dry sump Euros

19. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    #94 goober, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

somehow i set the bench mark for glass 308's in aust, paid 110k AUS for a 308 glass, RHD, 12,000KM still has the plastic on the doors for protection from new, full books and service history, original invoice etc, the car has not been driven since 1989 when the one and only owner lost his licence due to poor eyesight. And this was 6 months ago, and people thought i was mad or dumb, since then there are 2 other glass 308's with a 135k price on them without the history of mine, and me thinks they only made 87 RHD glass cars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very nice car, I bet you dont drive your 308 in the monsoons like Bigred does with his! Rick thinks it wont rust since its not steel :)

21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    first of all, i only got caught in the rain once....and it will never happen again. The only reason why the car came out that day, was to show you because you were dying to see what an original glass car with 8,000 miles looked like. :D:D:D:D

Hope you got a good look, it will be the last time you see it :D:D:D:D:D ROLMAO ....

For the record goober i bought mine this past spring, and peopel thought i was crazy as well and i paid 6 figures CDN, which was about the same as you 110 US....one owner family car since new....all books and records from Toronto 8,068 miles on the car, original radio with the warranty card...and i got a new pair of 328 wheels and rubbers thrown in with the original rims. I also have the orignal spare tire from france dated 1976. I think we bought very great orignal cars. Enjoy yours in good health !!

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    im loving this rick :) you know you'll never live it down, I only wish I was in the car to hear the conversation with your wife on the way home. Your car looked the the Maid of the Mist, lol.

23. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    the convo was all about our vacation, we went on holidays the week after...and then.. too bad it rained today to ruin the lunch on the patio with everyone.....oh then finally i was bad mouthing you to her...saying look at Paul, he had to copy me by being bald, and having a slower flat 12 ferrari than me....poor guy i said....he should stop following me ;)

ROLMAO !!! I fully expect you to bust my balls.....just remember that car, it will be the last time you see it ;)

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    seen one smogged out US spec plastic 308 you've seen them all, besides my 308 (and boxer) are cleaner than yours and I paid less, lol.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I forgot to ask earlier if you have any current engine/suspension pics bascially to see the before and after maid of the mist run.