More Rear Fog Light Discussion | FerrariChat

More Rear Fog Light Discussion

Discussion in '360/430' started by Keith360, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    • Several cars ago I had a 1991 Porsche Carrera 2 (US version), one of the few modifications I made was the rear fog lights. The connector for the switch was behind instrument panel. There was a small raised area where the switch would have been if it was destined for another country and ordered with the rear fog light option. I made a hole through the panel centered on the raised area. A new switch installed with little effort. Then to the relay panel. I installed the proper relay in the open relay socket. Then to the rear of the car. I bought a damaged rear reflector to get the light bulb sockets and harness. The wiring connector for the rear panel was populated with the rear fog light wire which I connected to the salvaged bulb sockets. The last part was to cut out the holes where bulb socket bayonet.
    • The other cool thing did when they designed electrical system, which was destined for many countries, is a simple module like a relay which programmed the lighting. I tried the Canadian version module to make them daytime running light for safety reasons.
    • The reason for bringing this to light is I want to do the same to my 360. I explored my four switch panel with the blank third from the left. There is a connector is behind the switch panel. I need to see how the rear fog light is incorporated in the four rear light pods and where the rear connector and most likely a relay in one of the many relay boards all over the chassis.
    • The reason I wanted the rear fogs on the Porsche was I used to drive in very thick fog going to work. I wasn’t keen on getting rear ended.
    • Are there any European owners with rear fogs on there 360’s?
    • What light pods/sections illuminate

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    This is the lighting pattern on a Euro Modena. Fog lights are on the inside with the inside half illuminated when activated
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    If your car is 2001 or earlier, it is already partially wired for fog lights. You have the wired dashboard connector, a fuse, and a relay dedicated to the rear fog light function. You also have a fog light switch symbol in the instrument panel. If you plug a real switch into the dashboard connector, your instrument panel fog light symbol should turn on.

If you add some wires and reconfigure the wiring in the rear light cluster connector, you can make the fog lights work. I played with this a couple of years ago just to see if it could be done, but have since restored it back to the original.

Caphill likes this.
  4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Always wondered about that! Do you have info on the wiring needed at the rear of the car?

5. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Unfortunately I did not keep any notes from my experiment, but as I recall, I had to rearrange pins in the rear light connectors to make the rear inboard lights come on with the fog light switch. That part worked, but since on my car the inboard light is also the brake light, the brake light functionality was lost. In Euro models, the brake light is the outboard lens so there is no conflict with the fog light function.

The problem is, I believe, a missing wire on connector 22L, pin 5 (C, orange). According to the wiring diagram, that connector pin is populated and wired on some (Euro?) models, but left out of the US models. There is also a difference in the wiring of pin 3 (G, yellow) on connector 12L between "normal" and "USA M.Y. 2000" versions.

In the wiring diagram, you can see there are two versions of wiring connectors 12L, 22L, 23L and 24L. I suspect that if you rewire based on the non-"USA M.Y. 2000" versions of those diagrams, you will get full fog light functionality.

Since I was not really interested in having fog lights, I did not pursue it any further and put everything back the way it was. I just wanted to confirm that the fog light switch would actually turn on a rear light, proving that the fog light switch, fuse and relay were wired and functional.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    That is my plan as well, just to verify that if I wanted to, the wiring was there. I've already got the Scud LED lights back there but noticed just the other day when working on an AC issue that the relay for the fog light was present. So here I go thinking about modding a Ferrari......