most desireable 308 / for collectibility, fun , etc | Page 2 | FerrariChat

most desireable 308 / for collectibility, fun , etc

Discussion in '308/328' started by freestone, Oct 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think the main reason for this is the airbox restriction (fiberglass insulation) in the U.S. cars. Otherwise, there's not too much difference. The early 76-77 non-cat U.S. cars had the same airboxes as the Euro cars; the later cars had the insulation/different airbox. Of course, the Euro cars had different timing, dry sumps and all that good stuff but, for sound, I think an early U.S. spec car and a Euro car are probably quite close. But you are right, Tommy, no injected car can touch one.

2. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    It sounds like I would be happiest with something like a red/tan 1977 gts. Preferably euro...

Are all gts's steel?

Now to find one.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :):)

Jedi

4. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #29 wazie7262, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah...good luck ;-)

BTW...VERY few 77 GTSs; almost all were made between 1978-79, carb that is.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yes, all are steel.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This car is a complete North American version 1976, it has to be one of the very first steel bodies here. Wet sump with dual distributors.

A Euro GTS will be wet sump too, but a single 8 point distributor.
    BTW that 8 point cap and the dual level rotor required are REALLY expensive.
    Euro cars also require import paperwork, although "rumor has it' we have past the point on a 1976 where anyone cares. I'd clarify that before spending money on a Euro car in the US without DOT/EPA releases.

I guess you need to settle down on the steel vs. glass, GTB/GTS , and North American vs. Euro questions...did you find the thread on the Euro 'glass GTB?

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #32 BigTex, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    My ANSA sport exhaust is louder than the carb sound.

The facts about the airbox sound deadening is also correct.
    You could remove it or find a Euro air filter housing....small niggles.

A 1978 GTS will have the evaporation flap and control solenoid and lots of stuff, an 1976-77 will not....it quickly gets complicated.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The earliest "show car" VINs of the GTS, per posts made here over the years, reflect a handful of NON CAT GTSs......those are rare birds but there's been sightings.

I suppose you could take a GTB and "cut" it.....:D :D :D

9. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow. On my Euro, I couldn't even hear the exhaust under full throttle :-o And I had an Ansa Sports Exhaust, as well.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have the stock insulated North American airbox, and Buddy Guy cranked up to about '65" on the Blaupunkt.

11. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ah! that explains it! ;-)

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuRhaDrnlWo[/ame]

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #38 308 GTB, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My very early US fiberglass GTB (May 1976 production) has the non-insulated Euro airbox...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    #39 marks308GTB, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    Not sure if this is an ok thread for this post. But I noticed in the May issue of Sports and Exotics that a glass 308 s/n 19567 sold for $57,500 plus buyers premium. 26k miles.

The sale was at the RM Arizona auction last January.

I have a July 1976 US spec 308 that is in perfect survivor condition. Everything works, is completely original except for replacement fuel pump and water pump and steering rack. Still has the unused original XWX in the front storage. It has about 45k miles.

While not necessarily important for the value of the car, it was originally owned by Clint Eastwood in Carmel. I think Clint Eastwood and Paul Newman purchased identical cars at the same time but Newman took his racing. Eastwood owned his (now mine) for about 3 years.

Any idea what it might be worth today? Yes, unfortunately, I may have to sell it.

Thanks,
    Mark

15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #40 MS250, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    if you have the warrenty card, and original books - pending how good condition - if you have all pollution controls and the 14s are still in mint shape with the xwx and are new, with a fresher full service - i dont see why you couldn't be at 60 grand.

the original books and warrenty card for a glass 308 are rare enough on there own - with the car, its even more so rare

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

For driving, I think the 328 GTS is the most fun/least fuss, but if you're collecting then a 'glass 308 would be the way I'd go.

17. marks308GTB

marks308GTB Karting

Jun 6, 2004
    Los Altos Hills, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark S.
    Everything except the warranty card and the books. Unfortunately, lost between Eastwood and intermediate owner.

18. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I guess it depends on how one defines "fun". If one defines fun as open top cruising/meandering through the backroads, then, yes, this may well be true. If one defines fun as wide open throttle hammering through the twisties then it ain't even close; a carbed GTB (especially a Euro or early U.S. variant) will be a way more visceral, raw and engaging experience. It really depends on whether or not one really wants to "drive" or cruise.

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It would be interesting to see actual test data of such a comparison in the twisties. Based on the kind of data that IS available (acceleration/top speed/cornering G force) the 328 seems superior.

Again, I don't know that to be the case since I have never seen a direct comparison of that particular mode of operation.

20. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You can really throw all the data right out the window; it's the way the car makes you feel while you're engaged. The 328 GTS is far more refined, it is also significantly heavier than a Euro 308 dry sump GTB. Again, I have had both and the GTB is simply a MUCH better driving experience. The 328 GTS borders on being a GT car, the carbed 308 GTB is a pure sports car. As I've stated before, a lot of this comes from superiority of carbs vs. that crappy Bosch FI. Added to this is the superiority of the GTB's fixed roof vs. the flexi GTS body.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    1978 Euro GTS just hit the Section, in Bob Zambelli's thread..

Carbed NON CAT red/black 40K miles.

Move on it quickly, if you want it...pay what it takes!

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They're all slow.

Of the two, the 328 has demonstrably better brakes, suspension, engine, steering, wheels/tires and ergonomics, so unless the main point of the drive is to make an audio podcast of the engine bay I'd still go with the 328.

For investment, a 'glass 308 is a distinct entry in the Ferrari roster, and there were only 712 of them made, which is closer to vintage/classic production than to modern Ferrari output. With 10,000 (?) 308s and 7,000 328s out there, it would be hard to recommend anything else other than a really low mileage/can never drive it example of the 328.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Totally concur w/Bullfighter.

24. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #49 wazie7262, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
    Have either of you driven a carbed Euro 308 GTB? I somehow doubt it. Therefore, you cannot make the comparison. I have owned both and, therefore, can. As I mentioned in a thread some months ago, I had relayed to Gary Bobileff that I had a Euro dry sump 308 and how much more engaging it was to drive than a 328 and he responded, "Oh, no question...no comparison." It's not about speed or brakes or whatever, it's the overall snotty, raw, sportscar, race car-heritage vibe this car gives in spades over a 328. Period.

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't start a fight over it...LOL!

Different horses for different courses!

I totally understand the "feeling" you are trying to describe, starting an old carbed car is more like an airplane flight:

Ignition on.......fuel pump rattling
    Crack window.....battery still good
    Pump three time......advance ignition... CONTACT!
    Starter whirrs....pump halfway and hold throttle
    Bang.....bang bang............bang bang bang bang.

WhOOOP WhoooP WHOOOOOOOOOOP!!!

Tap on oil pressure.....got any?? There it goes!

YOu really do expect to see a propeller out the front hood and need pilots goggles, or something.

It make starting my 1994 TransAm an non event, and that's a far more powerful car.