Moto Droid | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Moto Droid

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8 SNAKE, Oct 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just got the update notification on my Droid. I'm installing it now, so I'll find out soon if there are any noticeable differences.

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First change I noticed was the main screen where you unlock the phone. It looks slightly different and you now move your finger straight across to unlock instead of moving in an arc.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I got it too. Technically it's the same movement, the previous curved lock just threw you off, it was actually the same motion straight across motion.

The screen scrolling seems a bit smoother.

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you noticed any difference with your camera, Jason? In the past, I noticed that the bar code scanning application had a lot of trouble focusing the camera enough to get a reading. I will be curious to see if that improves now.

5. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just gave it a try, seems about the same for mine. Mine has never seemed to have a focus issue though.

I do remember reading a couple of people saying their cameras functioned better.

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'll see how mine works when I get around some bar codes.

Have you found any new apps that are worth talking about?

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

No update notice yet...getting antsy. I'd really like this echo issue resolved.

RMX

8. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Not really. But people seem to be talking about an app called Google Goggles. You take a picture of something and it brings up info about it. It seems to still need some work though. I haven't downloaded it.

I hope your issues get resolved.

9. REMIX

Still no update. WTF??

RMX

10. ZonderF

ZonderF Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yeah the goggles app still needs some work, the only things I've gotten it to recognize are printed text and a picture of my Blackberry. It's still a good idea and I'm sure they will improve it over time

11. REMIX

I rebooted my phone at 2am and it came back requesting to be updated. Finally! Wonder how long ago I could have done this.

Anyway, I think Google Goggles has a ton of potential. It's only so-so at scanning business cards...I think it will get better over time. That's the only thing I've used it for. GG cannot seem to identify my alarm clock, not yet. My suggestion is to allow the program to send info to the Google servers and eventually it will get better. This company really creeps me out sometimes with the crap they come up with or own (Street View, Google Earth, Sky Maps, Google Voice, Search, Gmail, Chrome, Goggles, AdSense, Talk, YouTube, Blogger, Android, etc). All this stuff is collecting information of some kind, but for what? They barely existed a decade ago.

Now that I've said that, I think Google IS Big Brother. LOL.

RMX

12. REMIX

For Firefox browser users: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2780

This will install a plug in for FF that will turn webpage addresses into barcodes for scanning with your Droid. Try it, it works!

Also works when you select text in FF...just select and right click. You'll see a menu item to allow for generating a barcode for the text itself.

RMX

13. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree completely. It scares the **** out of me. Especially in the numerous interviews (including the newest CNBC show on Google) they seem to work around the question about their information collecting. It's so easy to see they're not telling us the truth.

But why do they want the info?

I actually predict some hackers of some kind to eventually locate some damaging documents such as they did with "Climate Gate". We need more hackers like them. lol

Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #64 Wade, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just could not pass up the $50 price tag at Best Buy in Waterford Lakes, Orlando. Plus, the savings paid for several of the "required" accessories as well :D

So far... I love it! Especially if you consider what I've been using for the past 5 years.

With my old phone, I was able to text one-handed; don't think I'll be able to do that with the Droid. Nevertheless, there are too many pluses to worry about it.

Now, where’s that Last.fm app?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    They don't care about spying on you... it's just for "targeting" advertising. That's where they make all their money.

16. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is there a way to make the Droid's notification light (the flashing green light in the top right corner of the phone) flash when you have a missed call? Mine flashes when I have an email, text or voicemail but not when I miss a call.

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Apparantly there's an App for that... 2 actually:

Missed Reminder
    Missed Call For Android (2.0)

18. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks!

19. REMIX

Apps to try out:

Weather widgets*
    Apps Organizer (organize apps into categories and put those on the desktop)
    Craigsnotification (CL alert program)
    MotoTorch (use the flash LED as a flashlight - very useful!)
    Robo Defense (cannot stop playing)
    TV-Guide
    My Coupons (got free subscriptions to BusinessWeek and Motor Trend from this)
    CallFilter (block private calls and send to VM or just have the phone answer and hang up...and build a list of numbers to send to VM)

* = paid

I want to try Home ++ but am too chicken!

That's it so far.

RMX

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks.

From what I've been reading I would wait until the 2.1 update comes next month before trying Home++ or any other alternative home app.

21. REMIX

#72 REMIX, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's nice. I may look into that.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #74 Wade, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    For a flashlight I'm using DroidLight, it's simple and easy.

I'm also using...

Google Sky Map
    Light Racer 3D Basic
    Places Directory
    Slacker Radio
    Voice Recorder
    Wapedia

Here are some more:

Essential Android Apps from Gizmodo

So far I've tried most of the free weather apps (including aircraft) but only The Weather Channel pinpoints my location. With TWC, fat-fingering their ad is too easy (launches the browser to their website).

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I've been looking at the Droids in the local electronics stores, and every one of the dummies I've used has a keyboard that's impossible to use. The buttons are incredibly hard to push. Are the 'real' phones easier?