Moto Droid | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Moto Droid

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8 SNAKE, Oct 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I got a Droid last weekend, and I can say the keyboard is redundant. The onscreen keyboard (for me) is pretty good and has nice predictive input.

(My reason for getting the Droid was because after 10 years with AT&T, I simply could not stand it any longer. They absolutely SUCK EGGS in my local area.)

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    For me it works just fine. Took a little bit to adjust to it, but I use it most of the time now.

But I'm not a big guy and don't have fat fingers. Which makes it easier.

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Dude, SWYPE. Been using it for a week...very sweet once you get used to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr79VKquE7U

4. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  5. jahock

jahock Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Have had the droid for a week; SOOO much better than my previous phone (Voyager which was worthless other than MP3), so I'm a newbie in the 'app' world. Looking for suggestions for mp3/song app? I have free version of Imusic but it is limited in choices. I did not know whether the paid version was that much better. I see there are radio apps and song organizers; I'm looking for something with either pay by the song like Itunes or subscription access. (or free, of course) Does anyone use shazam?

6. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#82 Ricambi America, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    You can sync your iTunes music to the Droid via "Salling Media Sync". Hooking the Droid to a PC or Mac is odd, because you need to hit some buttons on the screen to make the USB connection active. http://www.salling.com/MediaSync

7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It comes preloaded with Amazon mp3. I still buy CD's and convert myself so I've never used it. But it's worth checking out.

Not really that odd. Just drop down the Notification Bar, click on the USB icon and hit 'Mount'. ;)

8. jahock

jahock Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    I see that amazon app now.

thanks

Jennie

9. REMIX

Well, this thing is no iPod replacement - not yet.

My Droid runs somewhat slow as well. Takes it forever to launch programs at times (Pandora). Might be something I have installed...dunno.

RMX

10. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    Do you mean just for the droid? i currently am still using a 1st gen iphone and shazam works great on it, but a friend picked up the HTC Hero and i was really impressed with the Android OS, so i might change to the new google 1ghz "nexus" when i decide to change.

in the clubs, shazam is amazing in how it will grab those song titles for you....

doug

11. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Probably getting one today. Any MUST HAVE apps?

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I have been using one now for about three weeks. VERY VERY pleased with the phone and Verizon. I just installed ZAGG invisible shields on my phone, and although it changes the feel slightly, I think it offers solid protection from keys, coins, etc.

Gmail, google calendar, contacts, integration via the "Google Cloud" is absolutely awesome.

13. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Got it...love it.

My dad hates his blackberry even more now.

14. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    In case you haven't already: GET ADVANCED TASK KILLER!!! Your phone will run so much faster after you do. Amazing how all those apps just keep running, and running, and running.

15. ZonderF

ZonderF Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Best music app I've found is called "i Music", it lets you download music for free and it saves to the memory card. I'm not quite sure how they are pulling this off because they are not DRM protected in any way, just straight mp3 files. The same company also has another app called "i Video" that lets you do the same thing with video files but it's no better than YouTube

16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If you're looking for a easy, simple game d/l ThrottleCopter.

Update 2.1 is scheduled soon. It seems this month, but that's still being debated from what I've read.

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I got the Motorola car mount for my Droid today. How does it "know" when I insert the phone to automatically show the Vehicle menu? It's pretty cool that it does that.

p.s. I am so happy to be RID of AT&T !!!

18. REMIX

Take a fairly strong magnet and hold it to the back of the Droid next to the camera lens. It will show the vehicle menu (Car Home) screen. Flip the magnet over (reverse polarity) and it will show the multimedia docking screen. It's that simple!

RMX

19. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok, somehow I've managed to do something to my Droid and it no longer shows new email alerts in the top left corner of the screen and the green notification light doesn't flash. I can't figure out what I did, though. Any suggestions?

When I open Gmail through the phone, my emails show up. I just want my alerts back.

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #96 TexasF355F1, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
    I've uninstalled this now.

I was all the sudden experiencing decreased battery life, and tons of apps showing up that shouldn't at all, period.

Now that I have my batter life is back to being good.

The only thing I can suggest is when you pull up your email click on the settings button and go through there. Maybe you accidentally unchecked something.

I don't have my email setup so I can't be of any indepth help, but that's my theory.

Maybe log out and log back in? Maybe it will reset something.

21. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#97 Ricambi America, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
    Mine did that too once. Pull the battery, and reinstall.

BTW, I am still in love with my Droid and Verizon. I miss AT&T like I miss having SARS.

p.s. I have found the #1 sucker of battery life is WiFi. I leave it OFF almsot all the time now. Verizons network is pretty darn fast on 3G anyway. Battery life is now (even with bluetooth always on) is vastly improved.

22. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. I went through my email settings before I posted in here and everything appeared normal. I even reset the options just to see if that would make a difference, which didn't work.

Thanks, I will try that next.

GPS really sucks battery life as well. Otherwise, I'm quite impressed with the overall batter life on my Droid.

23. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I'm such a dork. Did you know that in Car Mode, you can tap the microphone icon and say "Call Joe Blow" and it'll rip through your contacts and offer to call Joe ? If there are multiple numbers, it presents the choices to you. Seriously, it makes the iPhone pale in comparison in its integration to the nav and google search.

24. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've never used mine in car mode before. I should try that.

BTW, pulling the battery solved my email notification issue. :)