MotoGP predictions - 2005. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

MotoGP predictions - 2005.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sjb509, Apr 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Most of the predictions that have been posted here seem somewhat logical. I'll be rooting for Rossi, have since he raced 250 Aprilias. Everyone is coming in this season with more confidence, it seems. Biaggi has the ride he wanted, but I don't think it's gonna do him much good. I feel Sete is a much better rider than Max and will finish higher in points at the end. Edwards can't seem to stay in one place for very long. He wanted a Honda ride when he came to MotoGp but was denied, ending up with Aprilia which sucked big time. Then the move to Honda, and he couldn't produce with them except for one podium finish. Now he's with Yamaha and I don't really expect too much from him. He is talented, but I don't think he's as good as Sete, Rossi, Max, etc.

Nicky has got to start giving some results. He's talented for sure, but if he can't be consistently at or near the top Honda might get a little pissed. I hope he does better this season but he'll be no real competition for the top guys. I look for Kawasaki to to better this season. They've been doing pretty much all their development at the track. Nakano is tough so don't count him out. I don't really think Suzuki will have much to offer this season, just like the previous. They will do better, because how could they do worse. Hopkins a contender for the championship? Nope, not gonna happen.

What I do know is this, anything can and will happen. There's gonna be some surprises along the way this season. But in the end, Rossi=Champion. It's gonna be exciting.

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    id love to see Rossi go with ducati and help them inch their way back to the top.

to bad GP isnt huge in canada, its so entertaining.

3. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The majority will not wise up. No two ways about it. However, MotoGP is gaining lots devoted fans here. Do your part and convert the heathens. I have converted a few myself and it is very rewarding to see your friend sit on your couch with his mouth just hanging open, hardly able to believe his eyes.

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I think today is the 1st day of practice. You can get the results at www.motogp.com. I'm on my way to LA today for the Pasa Robles drive this weekend, but I'll be able to check in and see how they're doing. In addition to Laguna, I'll probably go to Brno this year too.

Art

5. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

Art, Did you know that there are thousands of other racers out there with lots of credentials, all with different opinions on who will win the championship. Are they less of a talent scout than you, no. If you ask anybody who knows, has done any work for, or discovered lets say Marco Melandri, they will say the same thing about him, that he's the next champ. I have never raced before but I do watch it. I think Hopkins is a great rider and he may even win a championship but chances are he will never achieve what Rossi has and I don't think Rossi is even done yet.

No credentials here, just an opinion.

Ron.

6. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Can someone explain me the main differences between MotoGP and World Superbike Championship?

7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

World Superbikes are heavily modified production motorcycles. There are limits to the engine mods however, horsepower for the best inline fours are about 210, while the Ducati makes a little more than 190. There are two races scored separately on a race day. All four Jap brands, plus Ducati, a Malaysian company called Foggy-Petronas, and occasionally MV Agusta compete. 1000cc displacement limit, and equal weight limits for all bikes. All riders use the same Pirelli race tire, which has increased competitveness of the series. For in-race rain, the race is stopped and riders can put on rain tires, the two mini-races scored together on aggregate time.

MotoGP bikes are pure prototypes. Chassis and engine parts must be different from production parts. A British team, WCM, was not allowed to race for months because it was determined their engines were too closely related to the Yamaha R1 engine. 1000cc limit for all engine configurations, but a sliding weight limit based on the number of cylinders. Teams competing are the Jap brands, Ducati, WCM/Blata, and Proton/Roberts/KTM. There is much diversity in the engine configurations, V-4, I-4, V-5, and V-6. Horsepower ranges from about 200 to over 250. Michelin tires are generally the best, but Bridgestone has been shown to be an advantage on certain tracks and conditions. A new rule for 2005 is that the race will not be stopped in case of rain, riders will have to gamble on tire choice with threatening clouds at the start of the race. Hopefully we'll see one or two this year.

WSBK and MotoGP actually race on only a few of the same tracks throughout the year, making it difficult to compare the lap times. But be assured the combination of generally better riders and more exotic machinery means faster MotoGP bikes and lower lap times. Where comparisons can be made, lap times are always faster for the best MotoGP bikes, but the best WSBK riders would out-qualify the backmarkers in MotoGP.

8. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    World Superbike could be seen as equivalent to DTM, or JGTCC. Highly modified machines, but based on a production machine. MotoGP is more equivalent to F1 and the machines are all prototypes and are not even allowed to be production based.

9. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    An interesting side-note to the whole lap time debate is that 250 machines are not very far down on their four-stroke brethren, but they are obviously slower. While WSBK's may not seem to be that much slower time-wise, the difference is noticable. This is not meant to detract from anything you said (I think it agrees with what you said), it is simply an interesting point.

10. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    thanx guys

makes sense, cuz i was wondering why ducati dominates so much in WS and they can barely be competitive in MotoGp

11. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Unfortunately I think their dominance in WSBK is over now as well. The switch to 1000cc machines for the I-4s mean they have enough power to overcome Ducati's inherent handling and drive advantages with the twin.

Ducati can say what they want about twins being their only powerplant for the road, but the production V-4 is already being tested. By 2007 they will be racing it.

12. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    I think Hayden will finish higher than Hopkins.
    And it's Erv.

Larry

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Agreed, the V4 will become the premium road model, replacing the R, a year after the Desmosedici road bike special is released, at which point it will then be eligible to race in WSBK.

14. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Barros on pole on the B-Honda. Followed by Gibernau on an A-Honda, and Checa on the Ducati.

Rossi on the second row.

Edwards on the third row and talking on Superbikeplanet about his great qualifying. ;)

Tamada qualified last, but will charge through the field no doubt.

4:00pm EST on SpeedTV 4/17/05.

15. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The race was awesome. The Hondas rock!! When it was dry, a Honda race, with only Rossi's talent giving him any chance. Too bad Sete fell in the rain, as did Hopkins (up to 6th at one point). If Yamaha can't find any more power, they'll have to win at all the slower tracks, because the Hondas are going to be unstopable.

Hayden didn't do **** as usual.

Art

16. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    1 Alex Barros Camel Honda Honda RC211V 47:14.053
    2 Valentino Rossi Gauloises Yamaha Team Yamaha YZR- M1 47:16.824
    3 Max Biaggi Repsol Honda Team Honda RC211V 47:20.124
    4 Marco Melandri Team Movistar Honda Honda RC211V 47:43.599
    5 Carlos Checa Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati Desmosedici GP-5 47:43.827
    6 Colin Edwards Gauloises Yamaha Team Yamaha YZR-M1 47:58.269
    7 Nicky Hayden Repsol Honda Team Honda RC211V 48:11.174
    8 Shinya Nakano Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR 48:13.900
    9 Loris Capirossi Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati Desmosedici GP-5 48:21.771
    10 Ruben Xaus Fortuna Yamaha Team Yamaha YZR-M1 48:36.484
    11 Troy Bayliss Camel Honda Honda RC211V 48:47.582
    12 Kenny Roberts Jnr. Team Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki GSV-R 48:48.184
    13 Roberto Rolfo D'antin Ducati Ducati Desmosedici GP-4 48:50.009
    14 Toni Elias Fortuna Yamaha Team Yamaha YZR-M1 48:50.545
    15 James Ellison Blata WCM Blata 2 Laps
    16 Shane Byrne Team Roberts Proton/KTM 4 Laps

Gibernau falls from the lead after downpour.

Edwards, Bayliss down but rejoin to finish.

Nick Hayden in seventh, Roberts 12th, Hopper out after fall, rider unhurt.

Alex Barros takes the race win in style.

17. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Take a look at the top speeds, notice how Rossi's bike is one of the quickest? Looks like Burgess got the job done. Question is, when is Honda going to respond, and just how hard was Sete riding to pull away like he did? He's awesome. Hooper's speed shows that they're still down about 20 HP.

1. Marco Melandri, Honda RC211V, 202.9 mph
    2. Valentino Rossi, Yamaha YZR-M1, 201.8 mph
    3. Loris Capirossi, Ducati, 201.8 mph
    4. Max Biaggi, Honda RC211V, 201.6 mph
    5. Nicky Hayden, Honda RC211V, 201.5 mph
    6. Sete Gibernau, Honda RC211V, 200.1 mph
    7. Troy Bayliss, Honda RC211V, 199.5 mph
    8. Alex Barros, Honda RC211V, 199.4 mph
    9. Carlos Checa, Ducati, 198.8 mph
    10. Toni Elias, Yamaha YZR-M1, 198.2 mph
    11. Roberto Rolfo, Ducati, 197.9 mph
    12. John Hopkins, Suzuki GSV-R, 197.1 mph
    13. Colin Edwards, Yamaha YZR-M1, 196.7 mph
    14. Shinya Nakano, Kawasaki ZX-RR, 194.7 mph
    15. Ruben Xaus, Yamaha YZR-M1, 191.8 mph
    16. Shane Byrne, Proton KR, 191.6 mph
    17. Kenny Lee Roberts, Suzuki GSV-R, 188.8 mph
    18. Franco Battaini, Blata, 185.1 mph
    19. James Ellison, Blata, 183.5 mph

Note that Roberts was about 10 mphs slower than Hopkins. John must have been unreal in his entry onto the straight, no?

Art

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Art
    Still waiting for those Suzuki's to fire up....

19. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    China's coming up with weekend. Tomorrow we should get some of the qualifying times. Should be interesting. I'm off to Fontana for the National tomorrow, but will post pm.

Art

20. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

New track so everyone is on equal ground. Maybe John Boy can snag a podium.

Hopefully Gibernau can keep it on track or else his season is over before it began.

No Tamada, broken hand :(

No KTM engines, so no Proton Roberts either :(:(

21. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Roberts fastest in the rain. Suzukis in 8th & 9th in the dry. Tomorrow (actually this pm) should be interesting.

Art

22. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    My prediction, neither Suzuki in the top 10 come race day.
    Care for a wager?

23. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    John qualified 4th. Unless he breaks, or has trouble, look for him in the top 3. He thinks he can win this one, and maybe he can.

Art

24. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I don't enjoy being a naysayer (well maybe a little bit ;) ) but this isn't exactly the first time they've qualified respectably and come no where.
    All the best to the Suzuki boys, having them competative just makes the series that much better.

25. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Both John and Kenny lead the race. John lead the first lap, Kenny lead on the 5th, and then the bike broke. John lost the lead when he went off the track coming back from lasst place to finish 7th, and Kenny broke. Looks like they are going to be contenders this year.

Art