Motorcycle Trip Questions .... | FerrariChat

Motorcycle Trip Questions ....

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by mikesufka, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Gentleman -

I'm thinking of a motorcycle trip from Spokane, Washington to St. Cloud, MN. My plan would be to ship the bikes out, fly out, and then ride home. Would be a 7 or 8 day trip and probably < 2000 miles.

I'd like to hit Coeur d'Alene, Missoula, Bozeman, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Red Lodge, and then head East.

In terms of weather vs. traffic and people, would it make more sense to do this in August or early September after Labor Day ??

Any must do roads or suggestions? Places to stay, restaurants to hit, etc ... ??

Thanks,

MDS

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Early September could be perfect but you do run the risk of snow, particularly at the higher elevations. It's not likely but it is possible. August would be a much safer bet.

I don't have any "must do's" on that route but I think it's going to be pretty darn amazing. There is a gentleman that I bought my Ducati 999R Xerox from in Idaho and he has a Multstrada that he makes some epic trips on. If you need help I can put you in touch with him.

3. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Cool - Sherpa23 could you forward along my post and see what he says ? Feel free to post it here or you can PM me too if you need my email - doesn't matter to me.

Thanks,

MDS

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Did a big piece of that ride in July 2014. Weather was great. I study weather patterns a lot for my rides and aim for what statistically is best. We got rained on some in Yellowstone and Idaho but the high passes were all OK that year. 212 through Beartooth pass just inside of Wyoming is a must. Take 212 out of Yellowstone. We stayed in Cooke City for the night. Stop at Bone Daddys in Red Lodge Montana. I am a history guy and went the the battle sight at The Little Big Horn. It was very interesting.

I think we took 26 to 31 then 22 into Jackson. Pretty ride in high country.

Ryan is right, September may be iffy weather wise. Downside to July though was the amount of tourists in Yellowstone but the weather made it an OK trade off.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Forgot to mention. Traffic wise in 4000 miles Yellowstone was the only problem area.

7. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks guys - Sherpa great photos in that link !

MDS

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#8 Tcar, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Site of the Little Bighorn (one word... spent time there.)

Just the battle site (Custer hill?) or other sites... the Indian village? Did you get down to the Wounded Knee site?

Oh, did a similar camping trip in an MGA roadster that did not have a top or a heater... it rained on us, too... and a rock broke the windshield so we removed it and wore goggles.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Didn't do Wounded Knee. We were all over the battle site park and surrounding areas. Can see why the Sioux liked the area. The encampment site was very pastoral. Was all over Western SD, Northern Wyoming, Southern Montana and Idaho. Black Hills, Deadwood, Devils Tower and any back road that looked interesting and had a gas station within 150 miles. My old riding partner and I never liked sticking to a schedule or staying on a freeway and both of us can cover a lot of ground in one day when we want to and don't mind riding in the rain. He and I have been all over the NW corner of North America. Time to explore some different areas now I am in Texas.

mikesufka and Texas Forever like this.
  10. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    If you are in the area of Yellowstone, I would say that there is one road that cannot be missed. Beartooth Highway from Cooke City-Silver Gate, MT to Red Lodge, MT (Hwy 212). It is an incredible stretch of twisties that simply cannot be passed up. It was the most memorable ride I have ever been on.

Brock

11. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Brock -

Thanks for the tip. Goal for today is book rooms - might have trouble in Coeur d’Alane and Jackson Hole. We will see ...

MDS

12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Rooms are booked - Coeur d'Alene on August 3, Jackson Hole August 5-6, and Red Lodge on August 7.

I'll stop somewhere in between Coeur d'Alene and Jackson Hole on August 4th - we will see what happens.

After Red Lodge we head East towards the Black Hills and the second weekend of Sturgis.

I'm pumped - gonna be epic.

MDS

13. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#13 Metastable, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Make sure you hit Lolo Pass in ID. A maybe might be the Going to the Sun Road in MT..... but beware of traffic... hit it early.

I-15 north of Helena is quite fun.... especially around Wolf Creek, MT where you can either stay on I-15 or jump on to Recreation Road, Craig Frontage Rd and Old US 91 which hug the Missouri River along with I-15. Also a great place to rent a log cabin and some kayaks or fish on the Missouri. Beautiful area.

Lolo Pass Famous Sign:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wolf Creek Area:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Lolo pass is cool as hell. (But let's keep that between us.)

15. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

LOL ... sounds good, next time we’ll rout him further south. :D

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Bikes ship out tomorrow - we fly out next Thursday ( August 2 ). Should be on the road by 10:00 AM on Friday, August 3. I cannot wait !!!!

MDS