Mouse-hair material....Once again | FerrariChat

Mouse-hair material....Once again

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Jan 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    How many meters of the mouse hair material is required to properly redo a Dino dash board?

Does anyone have any material that isn't the commonly available blue/black material? I can't live with the current stuff as it looks terrible, especially on a black interior car. I know there have been threads before, but from years ago.

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    2metres of material was enough to do my car.

I used the one from Superformance, looks OK to me and is pretty good match from the original (found a unworn / unfaded piece under the dash and compared it)

Tony

3. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The mouse hair on one of my Dinos has some of the typical wear, with the grain of the vinyl visible through the cloth, and was somewhat faded. My painter dyed the entire dash and glove box covering with a suitable shade, and it came out well. A recovering might be more satisfying to some, but the material will fade again, and the thought of disassembling everything ruled it out for me. My interior is completely original, and I didn't see the need to go to the trouble of recovering everything. Good luck with your project, however. Fred

4. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Got mine back last week from the trimmer. Same as Tony above, I too used material from Superformance and although i dont know exactly, it certainly didnt take all of the 2 Metres i was sold either so i have a lump left over!
    I can post a photo if you want but i am afraid we have all been through this one before and the camera does lie!
    You get bad reflections from the flocking and it gives a shinier appearance than actually is.
    Regards, Graham.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    <RANT ON>

Why is it when ever you take anyone for a ride the first thing they do is rub their hand all over the mouse fur right in front of them and make a comment?

I've NEVER touched it myself! Why would you want to get skin oils all over something that obviously is not easy to clean?

AND you can't say anything or you look like an @sshole pucker-butt.

If I go ride in someone's car, I don't touch any thing. If I look at someone's firearm I don't touch the metal. If I look at someone's collectible of any sort I wouldn't suppose it would be OK to put my grimy hand on it.

And another thing.... They look at the paint job and say 'WOW, this thing is BEAUTIFUL!" as they RUB THEIR UNWASHED HAND right down the side of the car.

UGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

<RANT off>

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    So true, Euro. I never touch anyone's property, and prefer that guests leave my cars alone when around them or riding in them. I am somewhat paranoid about the mouse-hair, with its impossible-to-brush nap, and proclivity to staining. A good friend had a disturbing thing happen back in 1989 when a visitor to his garage, observing his brand-new 328 GTS, banged his knuckle on a body panel and asked: "Is this car made of aluminum?" Fred

7. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I guess it's something to do with the old saying " Smooth as a mouse's ear" you've just got to touch it!

8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I guess that the deepest cut would be the derisive term used by unimpressed auto magazine reviewers when the cars were new: "unborn mouse fur." It makes you want to run out to the hardware store and buy a bunch of spring-loaded traps! Fred

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    smooth as a baby bottom! what happened to baby bottoms, they aint used no more?

10. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Same with me. My mouse has gone pretty much bald on the horizontal surfaces, but I've decided that I can easily live with it.

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Strange as it may sound, the normal wear and fading of the mouse hair make it look a bit like suede. Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but recovering a dash on a car that isn't going through a complete restoration seems like overkill. I much prefer the knowledge that my interior is original, and that I have cared for the dash covering as best I could. I love my Dinos, but I don't obsess over them (too much!). Fred

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i agree, however, i have a dino that has a dash that was recovered in the early 80's with 308 material because of a minor electrical "heat" (i won't use FIRE) issue. i hate the material and want to recover it, but would prefer not to redo the entire interior, especially with the "NEW" mouse hair.

any ideas for making the car look good?

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    It has too much a blueish/purplish cast to it. it looks really goofy with a black interior car.

15. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Reading old threads about the mouse hair fabric. Here is the link to HVL who is reproducing the original with the original machines. Will not fade like the original as it is now made with modern materials but apparently a perfect match, unlike some places offering a similar fabrics that is not like the one used in the Ferraris of the time.

http://www.hvl-autobekleding.nl/index.htm

Jamie H likes this.
  16. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
  17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Years ago, Henks had an alcantara-like fabric that mimic'ed faded Dino dash. During The Dino Rally, Jamie informed me he has come a long way from then.
    Apparently Henks hasn't needed to do much promotion but Jamie was astounded at he quality of material now produced. There's a whole story about the original machine, etc but on teh flip side, he hasn't exactly been advertizing it either, so even Dino-philes might not know about it.

Great to meet Rorky in Bologna 2 years ago, I've gotten him to sell me interior carpet and trunk carpet then even create a mold for the rare USA Dino heel pad rest. He really is all about keeping the old cars going - top notch bloke.

Jamie H likes this.
  18. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Great to meet Rorky in Bologna 2 years ago, I've gotten him to sell me interior carpet and trunk carpet then even create a mold for the rare USA Dino heel pad rest. He really is all about keeping the old cars going - top notch bloke.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine from him for Daytona and very happy with pattern colour, everything. AND he will send you a sample FOC.
    BTW any 330 GT owners out there, he has perfect repro heel mats (copied fro my originals)