348 - Mouse track shoulder harness | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Mouse track shoulder harness

Discussion in '348/355' started by flying butress, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    No, although a little sporadic, the driver's side light does go out when I buckle up, but the passenger's side does not, even when the mouse is awake.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    My pleasure. I get a little bored in my retirement. I sometimes feel like a detective when I'm working on this stuff.... All the clues are starting to make sense.

Do you already have direct access to the 2 pin motor plug? I was worried that we would get stuck trying to figure out the wiring on the 9 pin plug under the seat. The diagram Wade provided appears to be for the GTS (and GTB). It shows only 6 wires going to that plug. I suspect the motor wires are the pink and the (large) blue wires going to that plug are the passenger side motor control wires from the ECU because they are heavy duty. The colours should change at the 9 pin plug to a black and a red wire (to be confirmed). The red and black wires suggest that the motor turns in only one direction, but I can't see the mouse going in both directions if the motor only turns in one direction (unless there is some kind of mechanical wizardry involved).

Here's my latest effort. The zig-zag lines in magenta are pure speculation:

GTB/GTS Mousetrack Wiring Diagram

3. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn

No, I will not get to that for a day or two - business pressures. I am not sure, but I always thought that the motor would have to reverse since the track is not a loop. When I get there, I am expecting some sort of reversing switch. Of course, I may be surprised. Pretty much everything I touch on the car surprises me.

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Mine had a similar behavior. I ended up changing our the entire passenger side mouse track and motor. The switches were good, but the mouse wouldn't activate on it's own. There is no sensor/switch in the seat. The ECU located beneath the dash console ended up being fried. FYI, there are at least 3 versions of passenger restraint ECU's. My '93 had V1. I replaced it with a more robust V3 and everything works fine. The version number is stamped on the outside of the box. You can get a used ECU from GT Parts. I think they are $125 or so. If you ever disassemble one and look at the innards, it is pretty obvious where the weakness are in the earlier boards, in comparison to the V3 board.

Qavion likes this.
  5. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    Thank you! I am going to put a little time in on checking out the limit switches on the parked end of the track. When the mouse does run to the dash, it runs fine and returns. Then it goes on strike. Sometime wiggling the male part of the belt attachment will inspire it to work which suggests that something may be amiss in the switches. I have made a file on the good information I am getting on this problem. If the evolution of the remediation leads me to a new ECU I will opt for the V3.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm curious to know what's inside that "home base" on the track. I'm wondering if the system needs two microswitches. One for the seatbelt light and one for motor control. There are four wires going in there (not including the blue and black wires going to the other end of the track).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Green and black may be for a microswitch for the indication circuit (in series with the microswitch under the backup receptacle).
    Orange and brown(or another black?) for a limit microswitch which stops the motor when the mouse arrives.

I'm not sure that one faulty microswitch would cause your problems though. One switch might stop the belt running in one direction, but you are having problems with both directions.

It looks like you will need a torx bit to get inside that unit.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If it's not too difficult and you have time. If the passenger's seatbelt light is illuminated for any reason, could you try disconnecting this small white plug (ignore white arrows).

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The driver's side plug is shown in the photograph. These plugs are located on the door side of the seat.

I'm trying to determine if this is for inhibiting belt operation, for inhibiting the light, or both.

Hope the original poster of this photograph doesn't mind me recycling it )))

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I mentioned early in the post, that connection if unhooked will cause the belt lights to light up thinking belt in not connected and it will prevent the belts from working at least on my car. When I pulled the seats out the belt lights were on and belts did not run. So if that connection is loose which can happen if seat is slid all the way back, it can strain the connection and cause intermittent operation and belt light on. When I redo my carpet I will lengthen those wires a few inches and redo the connector, the wires slip right out of the plug on mine. I never heard if the OP checked that connection, the issue may just be that.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ugh... This may be more complicated than I thought. On a non-mouse seat belt type system, plugging in a belt will change the position of the seat belt buckle microswitch to "open" (no current path, no light). I assumed the indication circuit would be similar on the mouse type.

Eric, did you just disconnect that small 2 pin plug or the larger 9 pin plug under the seat? The computer may illuminate the light with the entire seat removed because the whole system has been disturbed.

Normally, on that type of microswitch, if the wires are attached to the two outer contacts (and not the middle one, the switch will show closed circuit when the microswitch arm is not pushed down. When the buckle is attached to the male section, the microswitch opens.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the mouse belt won't run home (to its aft position) and you use the backup receptable, will this extinguish the seat belt light (or will that remain illuminated to remind you the auto system is broken)?

11. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    Quavion, no, it won't. I am going to pull the passenger's seat this weekend and track down some of the circuits.....easy to say...we will see.....

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Robin. This will make the system a lot easier to understand.

Things to look for:

Wiring colours on either side of the 9 pin plug. I can't identify the four wire colours going into the mousetrack. In some photos I see green, black, orange (or yellow or a combination of yellow and orange), and perhaps brown.
    Why are there four wires going into the mousetrack "home position". Are there two microswitches there? Is one for mouse control and one for the seatbelt light?
    Is there a splice joining up 3 or 4 black earth wires (hidden by the black plastic sheath around the thicker part of the harness under the seat).
    Does the backup receptacle for the seatbelt have a "normally closed" microswitch (and what are the two green(?) wires on the microswitch plug attached to).
    Is the microswitch at the foward end of the track normally closed?

Is this the same for the driver's light, too (i.e. if the driver's door is open and you use the backup receptacle, does that not extinguish the light?). Seems like a bad design. You would have to drive with the seatbelt light on all the time. It seems like the backup receptacle microswitch is only there to disable the mousetrack system. However, as a result of disabling the mousetrack system, the ECU must put on the seat belt light.

13. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    I dug into the mouse issue this weekend. I started with the easy things (did I say 'easy'?). Anyway, it turns out that a major portion of my problem WAS that the door open switch was damaged and only semi-functional. I decided to remove it after talking to a local shop who said they had one in stock. I touched the jamb switch and it pretty much crumbled leaving me with the button and the front half. he back half. The back half and wiring connectors are dangling somewhere in the door jamb post. I fished for them for several hours to no avail. Is that area accessible if I remove the carpet from the kick panel?? I did note that the jamb post is open at the bottom but I am not sure how much help that would be even on a lift.

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  15. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    I did reply to your question on my cell phone. Maybe I need a new phone. Yes, that is the switch. It just crumbled and the door jamb ate the connectors. I am going to a local F-car shop in an hour or so to see if there is a magic way to retrieve the connectors.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Disregard. The other message thread answers my question

19. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
  20. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    Actually this is NOT too late. I started taking the mouse track loose and will continue now that I know there is a possibility that I could get some forceps in there to grab the wires. HUGE HELP!! THANKS!!

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah.. I forgot the mousetrack would stop you getting in that area. If you have the time and while you're in that door pillar area, would you be able to make a resistance check on the "A station" wiring plug (if it's easy to get to). I want to see if it's closed circuit or open circuit with the mouse in the aft position or, if easier, see if it's open/closed circuit with the mouse in the forward position. Thanks.

Latest diagram... Refresh browser if necessary to see amendments

22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Loads of great info in this thread! Thanks for sharing with the rest of the 348 Brotherhood!

23. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    Qavion, the mouse track is an ongoing saga. I got all the wires fished and the door switch replaced. The mouse still worked sporadically. I tested the input from the door switch to the mouse motor behind the seat and got voltage at the correct time which told me that the motor was not working correctly. I ordered a used track assembly from ebay. After I ordered the track, I noticed that the mouse was not working sporadically any more, now it appeared to be dead. Recognizing that the only thing I did was unplug and reattach the connector, I repeated that procedure and witnessed resurrection of the mouse. At least sporadically. I applied conductive grease to the motor connection which seems to have, at least temporarily, corrected the problem. I will probably still install the new track when it arrives. I am still figuring out why the seat belt light won't go out. Thanks for your interest and assistance!

Qavion likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the update, Robin. It's kind of disappointing that the door switch didn't fix the problem.

I was hoping for a cheap fix, such as a microswitch replacement (at one of the ends of the tracks). The light may be a clue that a switch input is missing. I can't imagine the motor would wear out. It's only used for a few seconds each drive. The cable which pushes/pulls the mouse might be a problem though if it's not kept properly maintained. I also wonder if the gearbox cogs are made of crumbly plastic like headlight lifters and HVAC actuators? Does it look like the motor gearbox is easy to get into?

25. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    Hopefully the last posting on this problem. In an effort to get the passive restraint (a.k.a. 'mouse') to work correctly I replaced the door plunger, tested the seat belt ECM, traced all the wiring, put No-Ox on all the connectors and still the mouse was intermittent at best. I crossed my fingers and bought a used mouse track on ebay and installed it over the weekend. Perfect! The mouse runs on command and amazingly, the seat belt light went out! I didn't even know the mouse was connected to the light - I thought it was somehow connected to the lap belt which was going to be my next quest. Thanks to all for the great assistance especially in gaining access to the plunger wiring in the kick panel.

Wade and Qavion like this.