Mousehair | FerrariChat

Mousehair

Discussion in '206/246' started by nerodino, Jan 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Just recieved a Fedex box containing my piece of mousehair from Brazil.
    it has a Ferrari sticker on it claiming year of manufacture as 1992, which is what WSpeer said it would be, Dave of DM and Stuff kindly sent me a sample of the piece he used (earlier manufacture i think) mine is slightly of a more stiffer feel but largely due to a heavier backing cloth.
    The purpose of the post is this, Its been folded up for approximately 13 years and has therefore creased up on the folds, do i just hang the sheet up and wait for the creases to drop out or what? I darent iron it and judging by some of my shirts i am not letting the wife near it!!!
    Any ideas???

Regards Graham.

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If nobody else knows what to do, you could always take it to a dry cleaners and see what they recomend

3. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    Try hanging in near a hot shower and let the steam and heat get to it without soaking it . Next hang it somewhere where it could dry out but not too fast . Good luck MBG

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i had a thread here in classic about how to care for a mousehair dash. i dont think exposing it to copious amounts of water is a good idea. there must be a way to gently wamr and relax the material and get the folds out of it. i will see if i can find that thread and see if there is any useful info.

found it....( edit)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83398&highlight=mousehair+dash

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I just got finished unwrinkling mine.

First, don't get it wet. Learned that the hard way.

Do this.

Iron it, from the back, low heat, just enough to make steam. (mine was on synthetic) Lay it on the board on top of a DARK TOWEL. Don't use a light one (picks up lint, file this also under lessons learned)

Move quickly, it doesn't take much to get the folds out.

When finished, roll it up on a tube or dowel.

Wrap in kraft paper, ALL DONE!!

DM.

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks for the feedback guys,

Something bothers me about this mousehair i've just recieved with respect to the original dash covering and it goes like this;
    How come on my existing dash the hair has gone leaving a PERFECT black vinyl covering? you can detect upon opening the glovebox that it was originally covered in hair as there are still some signs of it in there, whereas the new piece of material has a canvas backing!
    The 246 for sale on Shaughnessy's website within the thread "Looking for a Dino" by AZSpider i notice looks just like my current dash, Bald vinyl!

Whats the deal, anybody help?

PS Dave i'm off to get the iron fired up.

Graham.

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The mousehair material is just the normal Dino black vinyl that has been flocked. The back of the vinyl has a fabric backing and that is what you are seeing.

8. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Does anyone else find it amusing that we go thru so much trouble and expense to replace a material Ferrari probably chose because it was the cheapest option?

9. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It,s not because the new piece of material is overall way to thin to have vinyl in between the backing and the mousehair.

Graham.

10. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He's saying the "mousehair" is just thin vinyl (which has a cloth backing) that has been sprayed with an anti-reflective coating, which he's calling "flocking."

So there is no separate piece of mousehair on top of the vinyl. When the flocking rubs or falls off, you are left with the vinyl.

Jim

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The manufacturer's start with Dino Vinyl and spray the "mousehair" onto it set with adhesive.

12. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Jim, that aint the gist of it,

What i am saying is the original existing dash is fairly heavy black shiny vinyl with small traces of mousehair in the places which were unxeposed over the 30 odd years of the cars existance.

Now listen up! the NEW piece of fabric is a velvety finish directly on to a thin canvas backing, there is NO vinyl in between the velvet/mousehair! also the new cloth has a shiny/reflective almost finish which i dont like.

Now bearing in mind that the cloth has a Ferrari part no and date etc on it i assume it is OEM but contradictory to that, is it material that superceeded the early composition because Ferrari knew that the early material was crap.

Do you see where i'm coming from?

nitpicky yes but i am kind of wondering if i still might leave the dash as is after all and stow away the material and see if it lasts longer than the car!
    HA HA

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sounds like a repro or possibly mousehair for another car. The Dino vinyl will be underneath the flocking and the pattern should be easily seen

I know TS complained about the mousehair the Matt Jones/Reoriginals was supplying to 275 owners that was incorrect.

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the old style of mousehair (charcoal) isn't available any longer. the new style is jet black and slightly different. reoriginals has a great product, but even matt will tell you it isn't exact.

i have chosen to leave my original mousehai that is worn on my cars. i always have the option of changing it in the future. frankly, it doesn't look bad enough to justify the cost or the loss of originality.

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My replacement mousehair, which is the thinner stuff, is dated 1983 from a Ferrari Parts bin somewhere. (Still had the factory tag on it.)

It is black, not charcoal, and I'm about to replace mine with this.

Does anyone have a picture of their dash with the replacement mousehair in? I'm a little concerned that the black will look odd, and that it may cost me somewhere down the line at a concours.

It's nice stuff, looks very good, is thin and should work well for the upholsterer, but I'm just a little worried about the color.

Anyone???

DM

16. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Me Too

17. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had my dash recovered in '86 and with newly arrived material from FAF in Atlanta and I think that stuff faded on contact with air. Looked fabulous when first installed and was starting to fade within a year and it was inside the garage 99% of the time. I did spray it with VHT fabric dye and it looked great but I am hoping the new stuff holds up better. I think the material in '86 was more black than charcoal.

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Since they're probably all replicas now,
    What is the best source?

19. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Try Ted Rutlands or dennis McCann

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Is it the stuff Matt Jones sells at
    http://www.reoriginals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2432

21. mullin

mullin Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Tom M

I was visiting my Dino at berlinetta Motors in huntington and I noticed that

the other Dino that they were finishing a very nice restoration on had the

dark mousehair. It's definately black. It doesnt look bad but it took me a while

to warm up to it. If it's still there when I pick my car up later this week, I will

take a photo and post it.

22. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    All the mousehair I remember was black. Are we sure the faded mousehair isn't what we are calling charcoal? Sort of like the green cavis hose that was never green but blue and turned green with age and gasoline running through it? The inside of my glove compartment door which has never been recovered is basically black.

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Get any photos?
    Did you happen to ask them where they got the mousehair? Several on this list have asked in the past.

24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I hope anybody can help....
    I´m looking for an original mousehair (nos or used in best condition) piece min. 24 x 9 cm
    Henk van Lith material on the top has 100% correct texture, but because doesn`t fade, it`s too dark/black for my repair job of an original dashboard

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have this original one with the same patina as yours. The little piece hanging down is a piece of lint I pulled off after taking the picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login