Movement on the 612 market | FerrariChat

Movement on the 612 market

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Switzerland is one of the best market for 612's as there used to be always 20 to 23 car for sale (remember we are only 8M people here)
    2 weeks ago, overnight 5 were gone
    You might say and so what...
    Well, all the cheap ones disappeared, they were priced from 55 K to 85 K
    Someone spotted the opportunity and bought them all? I know of traders hunting in Switzerland to sell in Germany. Could that be it?
    The 55k one had 70 K miles on it, I went to see it 2 year ago, it needed some love, but man you get a bullet proof Ferrari v12 and gearbox in a super car package for 55K, clearly undervalued
    Anyway good for us all, era of cheap 612 is maybe over
    By curiosity I went on the german website to see if I could find them back but I didn't, I found a 612 with 190 000 KM on it ( 120K miles) amazing!!!

Cheers

Michel

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    By 55K to 85K is that in Euros or Dollars?

3. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    That's CHF which is the same as the $. If the Euro ever regains some value then a lot of premium Swiss cars will be exported.
    I know a dealer who got their 120k asking price for a OTO which is about the price they've been at for a few years now. Many of the others seem to sit though but that applies to many high end cars here. It looks like everybody who bought a GT3 RS immediately put it up for sale, same for 675LT's and many others that have been on the market for a year or more at overly ambitious prices. Some good stuff around though if you have the cash.

4. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    It’s an interesting time in the 612 market at least here in Switzerland. There has been a standoff between buyers and sellers for about the last 24-36 months. On the whole prices have remained firm with good cars selling for near asking (AFAIK) unless the owner is desperate.

I do often wonder if many of these 612s are really for sale or if their owners are just fishing for bites?

Recently though there has been a shift, as Swiss612 mentioned, the cheap cars are suddenly gone and new cars are coming on at higher asking prices. Also some cars that disappeared before have reappeared. Maybe their owners also see better market conditions?

Maybe it’s wishful thinking but it feels like there has been a small but positive turn in the market here.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Are they worth more elsewhere on the planet that they can be exported to ?
    When I think long term appreciation the 612 is not on my list.
    Enjoyable now and a value now...yes.

flat_plane_eddie and Makuono like this.
  6. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I think that with the current automotive outlook, it is highly unlikely that 612s will appreciate much in the future. The same applies to most exotics except some very special models.

We aren't in the beginning of the 2000s anymore...Today and in the near future, emission legislations and populist governments will limit immensely the way we can use our Ferraris.

This is my opinion, and this is why I try to use my 612 as much as I can today.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Exactly. Drive it and enjoy it. The worse thing ever would be to have a garage queen that you are afraid to put miles on because it will decrease it’s value. I fully expect my 612 to be worthless when I am done and that is just fine.

flat_plane_eddie and Makuono like this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The manuals may appreciate, but I fully expect F1/a 612's to become cheap as dirt, just like every other 2+2 in Ferrari history.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you bought it to make money, you made a bad investment.

Like Ricardo and Ron, I won't be on my death bed worrying how much my executor will get for the 612. :D

10. Stanley Kendall

Stanley Kendall Karting
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2017
  11. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I agree with the above analysis, however, I also believe the allure of a reasonably priced naturally aspirated V12 will keep the 612 close to its current price point for the near future.

The automotive industry as a whole is moving away from the normally aspirated engine in favor of 6 and 8’s with forced induction and hybrid technology, doing more with less. So the sound and performance of an old school V12 is the 612’s niche.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The problem with that is the fact that the FF is depreciating rapidly, and it's a superior car by every objective measure. It has a NA V12, it's larger, much more reliable, and the dual clutch transmission is in another league. Never mind performance: An FF is almost as fast as an Enzo around a track! As long as FF depreciation continues, it will put downward pressure on 612 prices... except for the manuals. And don't forget that Lusso V12's are also naturally aspirated. Wait until their production ends. The 612 will have a small audience by then.

Flint Ironstag likes this.
  13. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    There are plenty of fast cars around and the FF is certainly one, but the design is galaxies away from the 612 and to say that the FF is replacing the 612 on the second hand car is wrong, I agree its a newer generation and better car but the 612 timeless design is what people fall for, the FF looks still like a Hunchback Ferrari to me, I know its very subjective and I don't blame anyone for liking it. So I think the FF will attract different type of owners and the 612 will be more for the connaisseurs.
    Anyway, I agree with comments made above, you should drive the 612 and not worry about mileage, this is the nice thing allowed by a healthy market price, you can trade it whenever you want and not loose a fortune.
    Enjoy your 612s !!!

Modena_2003 and G. Pepper like this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I agree! That's why I'm looking for a manual 612, and not an FF. But we are in the minority, and most will choose a used FF or Lusso if there is little price difference.

I bought my 456M when the market was at its lowest point - for automatics - so I've seen this movie before. :)

15. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    We have a 612 manual for sale here in Switzerland, I think it is decently priced given the rarity
    I like manual cars, I understand why people are happy with manual 911s but the 612 is just great with the F1 system, I honnestly would not want anything else in it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    Why buy one from Switzerland? Cold starts, salty roads...I bought mine from Qatar: 30°+ startup temp, never seen a drop of rain, probably never parked outside...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    There's a US spec Rosso Corsa 612 in Abu Dhabi with a manual I'm tempted to repatriate. It would be a huge risk to buy it through, I think.

18. pierre_l

pierre_l Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    One thing might be interesting for valuation of 612:

Many countries have started hyper taxing cars from a certain date. In france for example, the early 612 are born just before the cut off date, so still no tax what so ever... Also France has much lower insurance rates.

In my case, moving my 612 from Switzerland to France will save me around 5000 chf / USD per year...

I believe that the value of 612 in the future will relate more and more to taxation