Movie prop | FerrariChat

Movie prop

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Nov 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There was a large vacant lot at the corner of Pensacola and Waimanu streets where a large warehouse had been torn down. First, I noticed some concrete rubble had been brought in. A very light steel structure was erected. It looked like concrete was poured around the steel structure. Now, I wonder if it is just gray painted styrofoam. Little by little, more details were added until its purpose became more clear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #2 sowest, Nov 12, 2016
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm thinking this might be a movie prop.
    Keep us posted.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Larry, we don't get to see cool stuff like this too often. I need to find a reason to swing by there with the kids and spin a tale for them to ponder! :)

5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hey, Glassman. If I get it figured out, I will let you know....;>)

Kevin:

It is an interesting thing to see. The work has been going on for a couple of weeks. At one end of the lot, there is now a collection of ambulances and "blue and white" police cars. Today, I noticed that a big piece of concrete was laying on top of the now flattened red car in the first picture. I thought they might be interested in renting my Alfa. It is a "disaster" in its own right. I am staying away. I don't want them to land a big piece of concrete on the roof....;>)

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I watched the progression in the past couple of weeks, too. At first, I saw the steel beams go up and wondered what was being built. Was it for the Rail? fast forward a couple weeks and I saw all the "rubble". Earlier in the week, they brought the emergency vehicles. Not sure if it is for a movie or for 5-0, but those are 5-0 police and SWAT vehicles. If it is for 5-0, that will be a mighty expensive episode! A few days ago, they were marking off the perimeter, perhaps a safety zone for an explosion scene.

7. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I went by the site yesterday morning and the erected structure has been taken down and there was a lot of clean up activity.

I went by one day and they had the emergency vehicles arrayed around, including a large "bomb squad" truck. I never saw any actors or anything that looked like actual filming. I never saw the multiple white trucks and equipment trailers that are normally present when filming is being done. Maybe, it was night shot??

It sure sure seems like a lot of money and effort for something that was used for two days, at most.

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It was shot Sun and Mon nights. Mon daytime, there was a lot of crew there setting up the scene... Movie trucks/trailers were at Blaisdell on the Kapiolani side. They also had a couple "HPD" cruisers in front of the Blaisdell Exhibition Hall. My guess is it was supposed to have been blown up, thus the 2 story set on Queen/Pensacola. They also had huge green screens set up.

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Bryan

Thanks very much for the info. It makes more sense now. I should have made a couple of extra trips to the area. Do you have any idea if it was for 5-0 or a movie?

10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It was for 5-0. They had Chinn Ho's Mustang in the scene with the emergency vehicles. That was a mighty expensive set for a tv show!

11. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #11 sowest, Nov 20, 2016
  12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Super Cool Larry! Way to show closure!

13. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Kevin

Thank you. It is all about illusion.....;>)

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    For those interested, I believe this episode is on tonight.....just saw a demo'd building with a silver car....S7 E13 Ua Ho'i Ka Opua l Awalua