Movie Theatre Profits | FerrariChat

Movie Theatre Profits

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Jerrari, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Just took my wife & kids to Elf @ the 2nd run theatre. $10.00 for all 4 of us, which is great but the popcorn and 2 small pops were $9.75!! Obviously the margins at the concession stand are huge, as I used to work for Pepsi I know that w/ fountain pop the cups cost the theatre more than the product and so they may have had $.25 into what they charged me $9.75. My question is, how much do the theatres actually make from the movie? Next time I'm gonna sneak in a flask of Pepsi & throw a microwave and some Orville under my coat.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    ha!! You guys have it cheap!! Try going to a movie in Canada!!
    $13.00 per person..and then it's $14.00 for a large pop and large pop corn..This is the best value!

Tom

3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Yeah but that's in Canadian Dollars...So in American Dollars, that's like $0.45, right? ;)

But seriously....from what I've heard, the theaters barely make any money on the movie admission -- just about all of their profits are at the concession stand, which is why you'll sometimes hear "they're not in the movie business, they're in the concession business" ...

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    All that the theatre's bank on is a movie so good that it will run long enough to beat their (The theatre's) timeframe to run it at 95% payback to the direct distributors. Confused? I theatre will take on (lets say) the last Arnold flick. Almost 100% of the profits goes to the distributor for a certain amount of weeks. After that time, the percentages flip in favor of the theatre. It's every theatre's nightmare to have 4-7 blockbuster hits out in the same 2-3 month period. They have to meet the demand of the public and may not have time to reap some profits. Look at the mega theatre complex. Here lies the profit scenaro. They can have five top movies playing along with 5-10 flicks that have been there a while. That's why we have to take a second on our homes to go to the movies with the family!