Moving to Charleston - salt air concern | FerrariChat

Moving to Charleston - salt air concern

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Jhobrien, May 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien
    Hi -we have moved to the Charleston area and have a bit of a concern bringing our Ferrari's down due to salt air and an open garage. The house sits on the Wando and the whole ground floor is open to air flow due to hurricane and flood plain issues.

Looking for advice as to whether this is a problem in the making with the salt in the air constantly. Nearest enclosed storage is 20 min away, which means the cars are likely to not be driven much if I store them.

I see a lot of Porches, Range rovers, Jags, some Maserati's, but thats it. First world problem, and a surprise.

Please advise

2. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Having grown upon in Fort Walton Beach FLA I can tell you the salty air impacts all cars. The more exposed the more the impact. Better protected controlled environment is the best option but overall the trade off of living on/near a beach. No easy answer
    Regards
    Peter

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #3 UroTrash, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I live on a tidal creek in Charleston.

Similar to your situation, the house was basically open up under with the first floor 11 feet off concrete slab.

As soon as we moved here, I had it enclosed with FEMA spec breakaway walls and bought a big dehumidifier.

Prior to the enclosure, the humidity was about 80-90 percent. It was very bad on the cars for those few months as the walls were being built. But now, the humidity is about 50% which is just fine.

The new walls are not noticeable from the outside. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  5. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Whether you choose breakaway designs or not , I would definitely close in a garage section or underneath entirely and condition it perhaps with a mini split .

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    AFAIK, if you are in a flood plain, in order to get insurance your walls must be FEMA compliant.

nicholasn likes this.
  7. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien
    Thanks - am enclosing a chunk of the space for storage, tools, and all that with a dehumidifier for sure. Builder has a product for the walls that basically is like a valve that opens in high winds and water - prevents the breakaway walls from taking too much pressure. Dehumidifier with drain to the outside and will drop the humidity.

Am thinking this going into the too hard pile for these fabulous cars - will likely bring one down for the winter and if we decide to stay here full time - sell both. the dealers are all over me to sell - St. Louis, Denver, Plano, etc. Will make the decision next year.

As the folks that sold me the cars said at the time, you really don't own them, you are the caretaker until the next owner comes along. Same with really good artwork. We are just the caretaker.

Thanks a lot guys.Appreciate the views.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    **** it. Drive. You are in one of the best places in the country. Just drive, she said.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

nicholasn likes this.
  9. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Our house is above flood plain. Salt water air is less deleterious on mine over the last 10 years than the salt and cold here in Minnesota. I'll be back down July 1st or 2nd.
    Minimally, I wouldn't store mine without enclosing it in a car capsule if I was on a flood plain below the house.

UroTrash likes this.
  11. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    LOL. My first car ever was a Triumph TR3; then later a ‘66 Jaguar E-Type roadster. Love the sign.
    Thankfully, a lot of Ferraris have aluminum bodies and frames, such as my old 2004 360 Spider and 2013 Gallardo 550-2.

12. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    What about a Carcoon type device?