MQ-9B SkyGuardian airborne over the UK right now! | FerrariChat

MQ-9B SkyGuardian airborne over the UK right now!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ferrari27, Jul 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I assume that most folk on here are familiar with Flight Radar 24 and the other, alternative, versions. Of interest right now is a drone over the UK not far from RAF Fairford that has been circling for hours. It has been flown across the Atlantic and I believe this is the first time this has ever happened.

Registration is N190TC.

2. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I have looked again and it has now left its circuit and is possibly heading into Fairford.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

4. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I do not know much about these machines that used to be called UAVs but it seems mighty impressive that it has been flown here rather than packed up in the back of a C-17.

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Forgive the ignorant question, as I know very little about these drones/UAVs/whatever they’re called, other than what I see on NatGeo specials about hunting terrorists, but what is their source of energy?

Are they electric (i.e., battery powered), or do they run on av gas? Either way, it’s amazing to me that something (which appears to be) so small could carry enough juice on board to fly across the entire Atlantic, and then circle once over the UK.

Very cool...

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Turboprop 14 hours flight endurance.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Some UAV's have loiter times that are twice that...

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    TPE-331 (turboprop) powered, I believe. In fact, I think these drones are the main customers for the 331 now.