Mr. Glickenhaus | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mr. Glickenhaus

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dilusha, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #101 miurasv, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    It's hardly a fully running vehicle IF it has insufficient turning circle and can't be run at freeway speeds without overheating is it? A Ferrari that can't turn and run at speed is ridiculous??? I just don't get why Glickenhaus is considered so clever for doing this or be considered to have "outside the box" thinking. It's hardly rocket science to have made the engine and gearbox functional. You just replace the removed parts, though it may have been a bit costly to find or fabricate the parts.

All this exercise will have done is highlight Modulo's design shortcomings and weaknesses, show that it is not a fully functioning Ferrari and therefore is still just a showcar, but with authenticity removed.

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I say..If you Don't have anything nice to say about Jim...dont say anything at all..
    When He leaves this world....Franks song " I did it my way " will be most prophetic!
    I for one Admire all he is doing..Carroll Shelby through it all came out with a reputation as being a Whore..
    As significant as Shelby was...Certainly Jim has a much greater level of integrity than that!
    I think Jim;s best times are still to come!...would love to have a Baja Boot!

Ducman491 likes this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Mr. Robertson, I know I've requested this before, but received crickets.
    I realize this thread is about Mr Glickenhaus and his accomplishments, but since YOU (still) attempt (wish?) to come across as an EXPERT regarding everything he has achieved, would YOU care to shows* us all what exactly have YOU actually done or accomplished in regards to building, designing, repairing, restoring classic/vintage (or any) automobiles or even just commissioned/financed any aforementioned efforts for them ?
    Take your time, as I'm sure that list might take a while to compile ...
    Or, if you prefer, you might start a thread titled "Mr. Robertson" and compile everything on it for the rest of us to marvel ?

*P.S. Pictures with variety color lines & text on them will undoubtedly help us understand everything better.

willrace, BJK, Solid State and 6 others like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can someone bring me up to speed on this thing? Is it an old concept car?

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well the modulo is based off a race car that probably wouldnt work on the street either.

The acomplishment is ferrari/pininfarina never finished the car in period, they rebodied an old race car chasiss put an empty mtoor in it and wheeled it inot a show. We can argue why, maybe they knew it was pure fantasy and woudlt really work, or more likely they were just penny pinching and didnt bother. Jim made it work, that involves multiple things from wiring to shifter to clutch etc and he used all correct period bits so its the job completed. Same as when Lamborghini made their 350 Gt prototype into a runner in the early 2000s.

Does the modulo have shortcomings as a road car, for sure, so does the original stratos prototype, but its a runner. Did anyone ever drive the Alfa carabo on road, doubtful. These cars all had serious road limitations, but they ran with race car motors of the period and were fantasy pieces. Jim finished the job on the modulo. Its a running fantasy piece as opposed to static museum piece.

Compare this with the "collector" who took an authentic unmolested ferrari can am car and rebodied it into a P3/4.

clandestine, JL350 and Ducman491 like this.
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #106 miurasv, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Could it be said of a man that he has integrity if he passes a fake car off as a long lost important Ferrari racing car that won a famous race, and even when it is proved that his car is fake, rather than accept it like a man he continues to spout nonsense to justify his fake claim and go on presenting it to the uninformed/uneducated as the real thing?

bonneau13 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    That is a seperate issue and debate. Albeit not wholy divorced, and you have a point. However the uniformed have ruined car collecting anyway as their motives are more related to what the thing represents as opposed to how it goes.

To me though we can say that all Jims cars are authentic to how they appeared in period and work properly. We might say that the "fake" car is more authentic in build paint construction etc than any number of well regarded so called historic race cars, that makes it more authentic to me, but then I always place the priority on what the object is and how it goes over some paperwork value, because cars are more than anythiogn about the experience of the machine. How many GTOs at the races are "copies" while the owner keeps the real one safe and sound. How many historic race cars run new build replacement blocks so the origional block can be kept intact.

I take that whole debate with great humor because it shows the ridicuclousness of the whole antique car provenance story and its relation to value. To me most of the old cars out there are george washingtons axe. At least Jims appear as they would in period and run as they did, theyre not overestored static museum pieces. Who know's like any number of "collectable" objects maybe he knows what the car is and is not and just enjoys having the gullible fall for it, like some claim a famous watch was worn by armstrong on the moon or a gift to fangio etc. Or maybe he got to emotional invested in the whole thing, or maybe your point is correct.

Jim bought the Boot, and any number of other cars that had not yet been feted, including a T70 in the 70's. A true collector buys what they love and has an eye for things, I think this absolutely applies to Jims cars. That he has them in top running condition and actualy drives them puts him into far a higher plane than checkbook collectors who buy names of a known list. His cars are from his passion.

Cars in the end are not static art, they are 3 dimensional motive art, a marriage of passion, artistic eye and the indistrilal age. A great car has both design, sound and feel, its experiential.. Jim seems viceraly comited to the 3 dimensions not one, so I'ill give him slack if one of his cars is missing a little numbered plate and he got carried away. As to what that car is worth, thats for the market to decide.

In the end from what i see his experience with his cars leads him to try design and sell cars today that have all the great 3 dimensional attributes of old. Very few others are doing this, and fewer are doing it well. He is in way doing what Ferruchio did way back when.

clandestine likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That's all well and good, but back to the OP's question. Why isn't Glickenhaus on FerrariChat anymore?

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Probably grew bored with it, couldnt take the critique, likes to control the narrative who knows. Pity he was fun, added gravity, but now hes moved on.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yep, he can control what gets said on his FaceBook page.

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'm glad this was brought up as it is a classic example of the double standard being held by Jim's greatest critic on this board, especially after his nitpicky comments on Modulo.

There are plenty of people who show up here only when it is convenient. The choice to ignore users is so obvious it is even a software feature, it's up to the participants in the discussion to use it. Unfortunately for those of us who wanted to see Jim's continuing contributions to this board, he wasn't a fan of the feature. Having an all-or-nothing personality, he left, but for a while preferred to engage his attackers head on, whether they had a valid, factual point, or whether they were being fickle in their attempt to commit character assasination in what seems to me to be a bizarre obsession to attain personal validation from a community whose interest is largely in the cars, and not in the personal battles between owners and pundits. Actions usually speak louder than words (or text on a web forum or facebook) and so it seems that that is where Jim is spending his time, money and attention. As I've said before, and as has been proven again by miurasv in this very thread, it's not surprising to me he's gone, and I can't blame him.

Ducman491, clandestine, JL350 and 3 others like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm going to make a mid-year resolution and no longer comment on anything related to Glickenhaus.

wax likes this.
  13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Still the most authentic Modulo out there?

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #114 miurasv, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Of course, being the only one. Just less so than it was.

Pininfarina or Ferrari or them together were the only people really to have carried out the works on Modulo to make it a road going, usable and properly functioning car and 100% authentic. Glickenhaus has the money to have commissioned them to do it. A great shame he didn't do so.

15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Seems like "Sour Grapes" or "Haterade" from MR. Miura. :)

16. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    The hate is strong on in him [Miura] my young Padawan...… :)

Ducman491 likes this.
  17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The biggest problem over all the years with the 0846 Glickenhaus fan club, some of whom continue to grovel to him and contribute to this thread, is that they have done zero research, know absolutely nothing about P cars and the differences between Glickenhaus's Piper fake P4 and the real 0846 and are simply not qualified to comment.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #118 miurasv, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    ....and Glickenhaus himself does not know the differences between a P3 chassis and a P4 chassis. Could it be the case that he does not have the mental capacity to understand and is just not capable of recognising the differences between his fake P4 chassis and the real 0846 chassis?

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I cant speak for others. I just dont care if 0846 is "real" or not. I think the wole concept that if a car can trace one piece of metal with a vin on it back to the 1960s its real is arcane in extremis. Did a Gt40 that burned into molten slag during the filming of lemans(*after having the roof cut off) not get "restored" based on some bits found in a boatyard, and sold for $11 million. Beyond a claim on prvenence to a long lost car what made this authetic.

That there are serious questions as to whether 0846 is "authentic" is not a question. To me the car was built by David piper with enzos blessing and parts from period ferrari. that makes it at least as authetic as sanction 2 DB4 zagato. If it incoporates some more period 60s pieces even more so.

While anoraks certainly have their place in the car hobby, the obsession with "autheincity" I think misses the larger point about what makes these cars so great. If we really want authetic cars lest try preserve for posterity the few real unmolested cars left in museum. Before then lets cad detail every piece of these cars. Then we can race authentic recreations, which will be truly authentic because the recreations will be driven in anger not parades, and racing is actualy an authetic piece missing. Wellt hey do that in the Uk already, and you know what vintage racing is the thing there, and with huge spectator fields.

Its all hypocaracy when Goodwood allowed gelescie Gt40s to have a great grid, but anew build etype lighweigth(which everyone knows what it is) is not allowed.
    This whole authentic thing is just buisness or overwhelmed by buisnes. Ferrari has Classiche which can take a shell of a 4 cam put in anew block and evrything else and its authentic because the chasis rail with vin survives. Its buisness pure and simple. Anyone buying an expesive car, as with a home etc shoudl do their own due dilligence, some cars are more authentic than others and therefore worth more.

Jim made his arguements why he thought somehow he got an authentic chassis, others pointed out why not, I dont see it as anymore important or relevant than that..

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #120 miurasv, Sep 6, 2018
    I'm sorry but I do not want to appear nasty to you but your above post makes it obvious that you have also done zero research on the relationship between Glickenhaus's Piper DP3 and Ferrari's 0846. Glickenhaus's Piper DP3 was built by David Piper but NOT with Enzo's blessing. Piper claims Enzo gave him his blessing for his P4 with chassis number 0900, BUT chassis number 0900 belongs to a Ferrari 312P (1971 model with the Boxer engine) that was sold to Marion Chinetti. The vin number stamping on Piper's own P4 replica is fake and there is no proof that Enzo Ferrari gave Piper any blessing for him to make anything. There is absolutely NOTHING of 0846 in Glickenhaus's P3/P4 replica. The vin tag is FAKE made by Glickenhaus. The whole chassis is FAKE, all 100% of it with nothing of it made by Ferrari/Vaccari. The engine is 3 litre 312 F1, not 4 litre P4 as he claims, which I have also proved showing the differences with pictures.

tomgt likes this.
  21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    lets say you are right. bravo.
    thats where it ends.

in 50 years time, Jim will be remembered across the world for hundreds of different automotive things. his legacy will live on in the car world for eternity.
    steve robertson will be forgotten within 6 months of his death by everybody except his immediate family.
    get over yourself.

BJK, JL350, TTR and 2 others like this.
  22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for saying what many of us should have. Jim is gone from the forum. But we get Steve. Yay!

Steve is obviously important in his own mind, and one can only admire his ability to beat dead horses to dust, to toot his own horn, to insult those around him, and to be oblivious to how he comes off. Let's just say that I find it ironic when he questions Jim's mental capacity...especially shortly after quoting himself in a post :)

BJK, BT and TTR like this.
  23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    +1

And not to mention that by just obtaining and parroting/quoting/using second hand information from printed media or interwebs (both well known for fair amount of inaccuracies) with no practical, first hand experience to provide support for it doesn't necessarily make such "critic" less "uniformed/uneducated".
    Often quite opposite, as demonstrated (and proven) on this very forum on more than few occasions.

+1

Although I think with "6 months" you're giving the troll too much credit. I'd be surprised if it took more than 6 days.

+1

At least Jim had sense to put the shovel down and walk away, while others keep on digging the hole they're in deeper. ;)

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Even accepting all your points. To me its still a ferrari P3/4 made as if it came from the factory, even with period paint quality and welding. I prefer to use the term recreation, which implies a whole host of positives, while fake inplies poor quality and not the real thing. The real thing to me is a car built to the same specs as in period.

These are machines built to a blueprint, they are like photographs as opposed to a Van Gough, inherantly replicable. Its interesting that the sanction 2 DB4 zagataos are what 4 mill per copy now, whereas a RS williams one in theory not sanctioned by aston is worth way less. Yet we know that RS williams built the sanction 2 cars and then built a few more, same machine exactly. The market correctly detirmines price based on provenance, but we should accept all cars built to a set stabdard, well they do in Europe already, to me thats the mature approach and widens appreciation of the machines by more people.

I do agree on disclosure, but in the car in questions case everyone knew it came from piper. If i had to speculate, Jim maybe bamboozled himself into thinking it was more than it was, in any event he made his arguements, never denied the car came from piper, and they were refuted. People can decide where along the autheticity line it runs. Or maybe Jim was just having peverse fun with the whole collector my car is more valuable than your chasis plate fangio farted here scene, and seing how far he could push it. Or maybe he was trying to add value to something and seeing if he could.

I think he has really cool cars, and is a tasteful collector, going for quality of machines and uses them, as opposed to a hoarder or a single marque. He seems comited to ttypes of cars and sprit of machine we sued to see in ferrari in Enzos days, tahs all good in my book.

If the gullible buy any car based on chassis plate and overpay, imo they deserve it. I think we should all be more focussed on what the machine is and how it goes.

The beuty of cars is its made up of all types of true individuals with very different priorities, the comom web is were into cars. I like all car fans.

To me there is an authetic period built car, and an authetic recreation. To drive and experience they are exactly the same. Only in museum with a card saying what the car did in period is there a difference, same as the enola gay if different to anotehr B29, and even then i would argue that restored to the nuts the orgional car shorn of patina, rebodied, new block etc is fundemantaly lost anyway, even if the chasis plate has provenance.

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #125 miurasv, Sep 6, 2018
    I've backed up everything I've said to prove what I've said with period photographs of 0846. You have not been able to disprove a single thing I've posted regarding JG's replica. What research have you done? Absolutely zero, just like the rest of the fawning 0846 Glickenhaus fan club.

And JG's hardly put his shovel down. He's still showing his fake P4 off as the "Daytona winner"and "0846."