430 - MT gearbox oil recommendations | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 MT gearbox oil recommendations

Discussion in '360/430' started by tomdeg, Dec 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do not believe I have ever advocated anyone use GL4 in a transaxle with hypoid gears. I know I don't. It would be legally indefensible if I was sued for a transaxle issue. I can charge people and make money replacing bad syncros using what Ferrari tells us to use. That is 100% defenseable. It is all in all a better business plan.

There is no more perfect a choice then as now no matter how many times the same question is asked.

f355spider likes this.
  2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I think most of us understand your position Brian.... and the liabilities that are at risk for you.
    We're just trying to decipher some of your messages to make the correct decision personally. You're opinions are very well respected !

f355spider and Need4Spd like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So asked differently wld you use gl4 in your own 360/430 where you have no liability risk?

4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

I'm reading this thread again and I don't know how I got using GL5 was what brian was advocating. I even post the opposite of what i'm saying here in post #23. :confused: I got confused and went the opposite. ....I'm planning on changing out the oil to MT90 .....even though it's not recommended for our hypoid gears it seems like that is the lesser of the 2 evils. I have to agree with what Need4speed said below.

"GL5 is the greater of the two risks, since as pointed out, GL4 was used for quite some time in older cars and it's not like we're seeing a bunch of transmissions with their gears failing. Brian's box full of worn out synchros seems rather compelling"

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And that is still my policy.

7. tomdeg

tomdeg Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    So, at the end of the day, (and lots of conflicting opinions) what's the general consensus? MTL or MT-90?

8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’m no expert. Seems MTL and MT-90 are similar except in viscosity. MTL is 70w-80 and MY-90 is 75w-90. Both GL-4’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I reread this thread and participated in some of the other threads several years ago. I private messaged Brian at the time and came away with his thoughts and made notes. Looking back at my notes regarding my CS, I wrote down MT-90.

I also wrote down MTL for the Dino & 328 and MT-90 for the 355.

I also appreciate Need4speeds effort in oil analysis.

f355spider likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    355 is def an mtl car. Been using it for 20 yrs. mt90 will not get rid of 2nd gear cold shift. Maybe i need to say it 10 more times.

f355spider likes this.
  11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks. Mine’s F1 so I wouldn’t know about cold 2nd issues.

12. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    I have a 2005 430 manual spider, I had a nightmare getting into 1st and 2nd gear, I read all the posts on FC regarding this issue.
    I had replaced the plastic bushing under the gear stick to the Hill aluminium one, cleaned and re greased up all the linkages.
    Used Redline MT90 oil and bingo!
    All gear changes from cold are perfect, no crunching or difficulty.
    When all up to temperature the gear changes feel slightly stiffer but negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. tomdeg

tomdeg Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    OK, let's beat this dead horse... what's the consensus on using MT-90 with the Limited Slip Friction Modifier?

14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Ok, so I lied. I'm still confused. However, I have 3 more months while the car is sleeping

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Why are you killing yourself over this? What are you trying to solve for exactly? If its second gear crunch try mtl and reassess after a few months (have the oil tested)

16. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Trying to figure out what will do the least damage (as discussed) and provide adequate drive ability at the same time since I live in a cold area. I was hoping the experiences shared in the posts would answer that concern but it only provided variances.

17. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    First off I’m no pro.

So my simple minded algorithm:

1- you must Determine if it’s gl4 or gl5 you want to use. Clearly there is no consensus. Some experienced “non-pros” are suggesting MTL and various other GL-4’s. Rifeldriver unequivocally stating gl5.

2- pick the brand. Seems if you choose GL4 - MTL is most recommended by owners.
    For GL5 there seems to be various options.

Digression:

(I’m not knocking any other decisions or posts so don’t take the following negatively)

As stated I put more weight in the opinion of a pro because it’s less anecdotal. “in my experience” equates to a study group of n=1. (No disrespect to those who are advocating gl4). However, one may argue the collective information from these owners over years does carry more weight. In GL4’s defense ask this - there are apparently lots of toasted synchros suspected from GL-5. Are there any toasted or damaged hypoid gears from GL4? Are there enough folks using GL4 to answer this not just the skewed population of a few posting here.

Let’s imagine If the failure rate is 0.1%/ year. It will take the average person 10 years to reach just 1% chance of a problem.

If a pro has 50 customers with 360/430’s. In one year they will have 5x the experience the one customer had in full 10 years of ownership. A lot more statistical weight.

So a reasonable question is does ttforced truly echo what Brian prefers and won’t state or execute because of professional liability. I have no idea, and y’all can speculate. I’m rolling the dice with a high quality GL5.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If an engine calls for 5W 30 but an owner uses 10 W 60, do you think that engine fails?

19. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Prob not unless you add some maple syrup! However there are some real smart folks around here that can answer your question with some proper scientific insight about lubrication and fluid dynamics.

I was very specific in my post, I am not after a confrontation about a topic I am clearly not qualified to debate.

My question to you is if 100 cars use the 10w-60 and two need a motor after a couple of years might that be statistically significant?

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Life is way too short to split hairs like this if you ask me… If you want the second gear cold crunch to go away, there’s a solution… I can’t help if Ferrari doesn’t recommend it… This is the same company that sells cars with compromised exhaust manifold, PTu That takes ****s, dct issues, and paint that bubbles on $300,000 v12 cars, Recommended belt changes every three years...if people want to take Ferrari as Bible by no means well I try to stop them

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so what did you end up using?

22. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Does anyone know if you use MTL or MT90 do u have to add friction modifier. And if you do have to add it, would you be defeating the purpose.

23. JaguarDriver

JaguarDriver Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Dick Maury
    Since Redline Products are quoted, why not use the oil that they recommend? I have it in my car and works great, no second gear problems.
    This from their Website:
    75W90NS GL-5 Gear Oil
    • Designed for transmissions and transaxles - helps to slow synchros for easier shifting across a broad temperature range
    • Popular in Ferrari, Porsche and Subaru transaxles
    • Muscle Car applications like Ford Top Loader, Muncie transmissions, Borg-Warner T-10 and Super T-10
    • Contains extreme pressure additives like our 75W90 GL-5 oil, but lacks friction modifiers to balance slipperiness
    • Improved copper corrosion protection to prolong synchro life
    • Helps with lock-up on weak limited-slip differentials-compatible with Red Line Limited Slip Friction Modifier for tuning slippage
    • Also used with clutch-type LSDs in racing for maximum lock up
    • Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360
    • Non corrosive formula, safe for use with all synchro materials

Paul Kane likes this.
  24. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I'm running MT90 with no friction modifier, no problems. Adding friction modifier does not make it GL-5. Gl-5 has about twice the sulphur/phosphorus as GL-4. Friction modifier is some super slippery stuff to stop chatter in LSD's.

25. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That's what I put in 360 along with the new LSD plates and clutches. I have not driven it yet.

The thing is, the 75W90NS may not be the same as it was 2 or 10 years ago. So going through older threads, comments from many years ago may not be as relevant to today's product.

Redline is popular in the BMW community and it's what I have put in all my cars and I feel it tends to be as good or better than what it replaced.