Mugello various car upgrades and testing thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mugello various car upgrades and testing thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Apr 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #76 tifosi12, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    Thanks to Anthony Ferrari I already have Schumacher's sig on my helmet, which is one of my most cherished possesions.

So no, but close :)

Sorry for the hijack.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #77 Ferraripilot, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    And here we go. Updated F2012 sidepods and exhaust. Looks like this usually unreliable source was reliable today!

I bet Ferrari are going to try a couple different configurations of this exhaust, the Mclaren route and the Mercedes route. Looks like they have it arranged the Mercedes route at the moment but a little more outboard than W03.

I have to say I'm not really surprised this was not a radical change to the sidepod coke bottle area as everyone was expecting. If they were to change it that heavily then the cooling system and venting system would very possibly required major internal changes. Regardless, this should yield Ferrari some much needed aero at the back end. Not much though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Is the airbox fin new or enhanced?

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    So what are the "Acer ducts" used for now? Cooling? I figured they'd do away with them if since they kinda protrude a ways out there.

Upgrades look good, and there's more planned for Spain yes?

5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I believe the Acer ducts are indeed a cooling exit. The F2012 uses a very old style vertical radiator arrangement in the sidepods as opposed to the nearly horizontal curved arrangement pretty much every else uses. Ferrari's setup probably has to be vented fairly directly in order to operate well.

And yes, the engine cover 'fin' is also updated. Ferrari currently have a ton of flow vis on the rear wing testing that. Or at least they did until the end of testing.

6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks.
    Appreciate your updates.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Here's Autosports Gary Anderson on the new Ferrari bits;

I definitely concur that you don't want to feed low speed air into a high speed zone. I wonder how much of a PITA moving those exits will be? Phase two?.....

Hopefully, it'll give 'em the predicted few tenths.

Cheers,
    Ian
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99304

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Nice updates! Anyone know how/why Alonso flung the car into the gravel in the morning?

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Didn't see it but I assume it was Massa's fault.
    ;)

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D LOL

No doubt!.....

Apparently, he "nudged" the tires in turn 12. I guess he was simply pushing a little too hard. Took 'em about two hours to get him back out, so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    It makes you worry that he was pushing that hard in testing and wasn't able to take the top spot still. Not saying everyone is making it an easy day, but Ferrari have to be the ones that need to prove the most in Italy don't you think?

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    LOL.

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Exhaust is the same on the Merc.

14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Who knows, maybe Merc, Lotus and now Ferrari have the right idea with the more "basic" exhaust setup. The McLaren unit that is being so widely copied hasn't proven itself as the end-all-be-all, IMO.

As for Ferrari, I read on another forum that Ferrari is channeling the exhaust as well as the air from under the engine cover out of the "Acer ducts" into a hole in the diffuser and this is the "Byrne floor" we have heard so much about.

Bodes well, we will see how well in a week.

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I agree with you about the exhaust situation. Mclaren's setup is clever but they are fighting for 10% of the blown EBD efficiency they had last year with it. It's widely contested that what Merc and Lotus are doing, which is in essence making the center area of the diffuser operate better (this is an area of the diffuser always difficult to make work best) is as good. Lotus proved at the last race that it can be quicker than the Red Bull (both Kimi and Grosj were quicker at some point) without any EBD going on. Merc also proved it at China, but I believe that had a lot to do with their crazy acceleration obviously.

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #91 freshmeat, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    yeah, Crucial, the Ferrari fantatic extra-ordinare on f1tech made that little montage. nice job.

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    man did I call it on Ferrari getting .200-.300, or did I call it lol. mmmm. good progress for them though, excellent.

Meanwhile I think Lotus gained a tenth and Merc gained a tenth. Mclaren seems to just have been concentrating on further understanding the tires

19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Did they change the sidepods at all Pilot? Or is it just the Acer logo making the coke bottle look more "squared off & flat"?

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yes definitely. The area around the exhaust is tidied up quite a bit. There's just not a whole lot they can do with that area as it is part of the radiator ventilation system. Notice the sidepod changes now employ several vents around the exhaust now. They are pretty much stuck with them.

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Brawn has been quoted as saying that he has concerns about overheating the tires with a McLaren style setup.

22. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Interesting. Overheating of the tires was the main issue with the F2012 launch configuration.

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nico said in an interview today that they might have found the solution

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ