Mugello various car upgrades and testing thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mugello various car upgrades and testing thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Apr 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ross Brawn has revealed in German media they have introduced a new step of sophistication with their suspension front rear connection (much rumored pre-season to be the 'mercury' suspension)

His words were that the system was in its first iteration retrofitted to the W02 but was integrated into w03 package from the word go. This has Aldo Costa written all over it.

The aim is to reduce pitching and oscillations front rear..

2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Truth. Every other driver I've seen stated how much they liked driving around Mugello. Now we have lots of team bosses *****ing and moaning about how Mugello wasn't worth the cost and that they didn't gain anything, blah blah blah.

http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/7730115/Horner-questions-Mugello-s-worth

RBR has been complaining all year about one thing or another. Of course Horner doesn't want F1 to take steps and bring back in-season testing, he knows they won't be able to hang with the likes of Ferrari and McLaren (and probably Mercedes with testing addict MS behind the wheel) if that happens. IMO, had there been in season testing, say, last year, RBR would not have come close to dominating as much as they did.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Good news. Has it been on the W03 at all this year before this test?

4. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

A variant of it has indeed been on the car and this is simply an update to it. I'm amazed how W03 has what appears to be a very soft front end yet this suspension system really levels out any dive in a stiff way. Battle of the suspension systems the next 'thing' in F1?

5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    How insanely cool is this:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 50218.html

-With regard to the release and control of gas flow explains that the W03 is a rather conventional drive, not seeking to redirect gas diffuser, to other parts of the body or the brake lines of the rear wheels, but directly to the clamping plane rear wing, which is a use of the advantages of which exhaust gases have already been tested for many years before that broadcasters from entering blown fray.

-An important section is the chassis and suspension. Brawn said that the car literally "think" when accelerating and braking. The damping system is interconnected four-wheel hydraulically compensates for the imbalance produced under braking and acceleration. The system already introduced last year, but this season they have perfected a new level, because last year it added a posteriori, and this time is fully integrated into the car.

-Finally this year notes that the battle has become longer, more conventional, to improve weight distribution and, more space in the rear, have been able to place the transmission and the lower tank, which obviously improves center of gravity.

-In these tests in Mugello are dedicated to improving the work with the tires and say the wind tunnel data very good promise in paragraph aerodynamic improvements.

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Oh my Horner the pathetic. If they were leading he would not utter such things.

7. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Yeah Horner's just pissed cause they can't get their hands around their car. It's still a good car but their design paradigm has been turned on its ear and they still haven't found a workaround for it yet. The workaround is simple: new design paradigm which will take a couple years to develop. That's what Ferrari are doing right now and what Mercedes started last year.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree with your first and last point. Horner has been *****ing all year but that's more for to gain advantage, it's what all teams (have to) do, so I'm willing to let that slip. RBR wouldn't have dominated with such magnificence last year, probably so.

I can't see why, if in-season testing would be allowed again, that they would lose all advantage. Red Bull has a race track, near unlimited funds and 2 very capable drivers. Fiorano has limited noise days, so there goes Ferrari's advantage (they have to travel to Mugello). Mclaren doesn't have their own track. In a way I can actually see Red Bull becoming stronger than Mclaren was back in the days when testing was allowed.

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just noticed your tag line. :)

BTW: Who is in your avatar?

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I just don't see RBR having the same level of commitment and willingness to spend money year after year as some of the other teams, but I could be wrong. In fact, I would be surprised if RBR still exists under the Red Bull guise in 15 years.

IMO, Mateschitz treats F1 like a business and he has already achieved his goal of massive exposure through winning multiple titles. Red Bull's brand awareness as a result of F1 competition probably couldn't get any higher than it is right now. If Red Bull has a few "off years" in a row, I could see him pulling the plug just as he did with Red Bull's NASCAR program. Whereas Ferrari and McLaren would keep plugging away, spending cash and testing endlessly even if they had some conssecutive bad years (this has already been demonstrated in the past). Racing comes first for those guys, I'm not sure it does for a massive corporation like Red Bull, especially if Mateschitz kicks the bucket.

Again, just my opinion.

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Ferrari might be gearing up to incorporate a ’double-DRS’ setup aboard its improving F2012 car.

If true, the famous Italian team would be the first team to successfully emulate the controversial Mercedes system, which has been declared fully legal by the governing FIA.

Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport said a new rear wing was among the very last upgrades to be trialled by Fernando Alonso as the Mugello test concluded late on Thursday.

"The wing has only minor changes. You have to look closely," read the report.

The magazine reported rumours that the wing might eventually accommodate the so-called ’double-DRS’ or 2012-style F-duct, which would work in conjunction with a new and so far unseen front wing.

"That (wing) will debut along with a new diffuser and nose in Barcelona," added Auto Motor und Sport.

There were happy faces in the Ferrari garage on Thursday, as - despite a minor off by Alonso - the upgrades appeared to work well.

"Barcelona will be a key moment in the season, but not a decisive one," the Spanish driver insisted.

"It’s not a case that we will suddenly find ourselves back on pole position, because there is no magic button."

Echoing the earlier words of Mark Webber, Alonso said the "fastest car" at Mugello this week was the Lotus.

Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko agrees: "It looks like Lotus are the quickest."

Veteran Swiss correspondent Roger Benoit wrote in Blick newspaper: "Lotus, with Kimi Raikkonen in super shape, is the championship dark horse."

14. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That would be the one and only yours truly. I had to post a more contemplative pic in place of the first as the jedi mind trick just isn't working, although I'm still trying it now and again.

Check the 3.4L 308 vid. It's properly tuned now, and it's fast. Doesn't really sound like a 308 so I'm told. I smoked an NSX at lunch yesterday on I-85. Was awesome.

sorry, off topic :X wait, this is my thread. lol

I heard Scarbs mentioning just this morning that the top teams have always had interconnected from/rear suspension, it's just the connections themselves and their passive functions are conjectured to be somewhat different. They all obviously have the same desired function which is to keep a as-even ride height compared to how they are statically set as possible. This makes me wonder just how long Bell has been working on this project and all the more curious about what is hidden under the skin of those top cars.

15. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What are you talking about, they are leading both championships.

16. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    and they still don't act like it. You would think they were in Ferrari's shoes.

17. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why wouldn't they want everything to be exactly how they want it, it would be dumb not to.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sometimes Capt. Obvious is needed.
    ;)
    Thanks.