Murray Walker: Hamilton Better Than Senna, Schumi | FerrariChat

Murray Walker: Hamilton Better Than Senna, Schumi

Discussion in 'F1' started by ingegnere, Aug 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Throwing this out there, like meat to alligators, LOL. Let the fun begin...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151071/walker-hamilton-better-than-senna-and-schumacher

I’ll start. My take: all great drivers, hard to say who is best ever due to equipment. Mitigating factors:

1/ Senna taking out Prost at Suzuka, 1990, in such an obvious (even to McLaren boss Dennis), unsportsmanlike and dangerous way is unforgivable. No other incident I know of (outside of NASCAR) where a driver basically intentionally drives into the back of another’s car.

2/ HAM is very good, few mistakes but nobody ever had such a great car advantage for such a long period as he’s had in his current Merc stint.

Nembo1777 and jpalmito like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Walker has an opinion as we all do.

I like what Mansell has said in the past - there are a number of drivers who could win given the right car.

Same for who is the 'greatest'. For an era sure. Of all the era's - no. There are many greats, and we should celebrate them equally and they are unique as well. None are the same, but many of us are inspired by their racing and spirit.

chipbiii, vinuneuro, ypsilon and 7 others like this.
  3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Murray who?

DGPF, stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

As i said before British journalists trying to rewrite history with the obvious will to delete the "schumacher/ferrari" anomaly.

ypsilon, classic308, greg328 and 2 others like this.
  5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Walker has some good points. Lewis is one of the cleaner champions, comparatively speaking.

DGPF, william, Nembo1777 and 3 others like this.
  6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Murray has always been biased toward any drivers that are not British and has never hidden the fact that he favors the British drivers. If you are looking for a fair comparison Murray is not going to be a fair judge and even he would admit that. His disdain for Schumacher is well known, he also was not a fan of Senna but stop beating that drum once Senna died as it would have been in poor taste. Hamilton is great, but one should not use Murray Walker as a judge. Like to know what Murray thinks is the proper order of greats as far as all of the British drivers, my guess is he would hold Stewart and Clark at the top.

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    LOL reality is quite clear. Hamdashian has never done what Schumacher and Senna did with inferior cars. Fake news.

ypsilon, classic308, stavura and 3 others like this.
  8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I like Murray Walker, but one thing is for sure;
    Fangio is the GOAT

furoni likes this.
  9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    GOATs don't lose WDC to Nico Rosberg.

classic308, stavura, Bas and 2 others like this.
  10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #10 ktu, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Walker is a legendary commentator, so he is fully aware of the things Senna, Schumi has done in any car they drove, he is also aware of the bad things they have done. Still after watching what all 3 have done, in every car, his view is Ham is better.

11. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Hey go easy on Schumi, Rosberg only beat him 3 years straight

DGPF, Patrick Dixon, Nuvolari and 4 others like this.
  12. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    That dear sir deserves an, "OH SNAP!!!!":D

13. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    I could not and would not say GOAT, but certainly the best of his era. From what I have seen, just an incredible driver.

william likes this.
  14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I know who Walker is. He stated his opinion clearly.

Hamdashian has never done what Schumacher and Senna did with inferior cars. Fake news.

classic308, Bas and jpalmito like this.
  15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Senna and Schumi never beat multiple world champions in the same car, or beat a champion their rookie year, or won a race every year they competed, or won a race on 3 tires.
    Oh and by the way, Barrichello also says Hamilton's talent likely surpasses Schumi and Senna, after watching what all 3 have done, in every car.

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Over your time in F chat you’ve clearly revealed your opinions.

Hamdashian has never done what Schumacher and Senna did with inferior cars. Fake news.

Schumacher and Senna took cars and made them better then they were.

17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Here we go again.

When it comes to the car and equipment used in various era's, it's like comparing analog to digital.

It's like comparing a Rolex Daytona, a Casio electronic watch and a Galaxy Note 10 or Apple iPhone 11. All tell time but as technology gets advanced, the phones do ALOT more for the average person.

No comparison IMO.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Senna and Schuey on many instances drove dirty, sometimes historically dirty.

I cannot recall Lewis doing anything dirty except once recently and I can't even recall what when.
    I am for Ferrari and have been for fifty years but the above is crystal clear, how you win matters. I have nothing to Say to reptilian cynics who don't care about ethics in sports.

m5shiv, Terra, william and 2 others like this.
  19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    To an extent I agree... Senna was shifting manually and without traction control. You’ve seen his laps of Monaco.

Senna1994 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You also have clearly revealed your opinions. Seems like the only difference between our opinions is that i have multiple F1 drivers and personnel agreeing with my opinions and you don't. Ironically, team mates of both Senna and Schumacher agree with me on Hamilton's dominating talent. There are things that all 3 have done that no one's done before, nothing wrong with that.

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Hamdashian has never done what Schumacher and Senna did with inferior cars. They made their cars better. They out performed their cars. They won with cars inferior to their piers and inferior to Hamdashian’s. Fake news.

stavura, fil, furoni and 2 others like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thé Day Hamilton wins like senna did in 93 then we will talk.
    Or schumi in 94.
    Good driver for sure but that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Say what now? Senna beat Prost a multiple world champion in the same car.
    Senna was in a toleman hi rookie year and still
    Managed 2nd in Monaco which he was winning if Prost hadn’t complained about the rain, a toleman is like a Haas these days.Aside that first year senna won every year at least one race.
    Please do ur research and don’t insult legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

classic308, stavura, fil and 4 others like this.
  24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    No, i mean multiple champions as in different drivers. Hamilton beat Alonso and Button. Senna 1. Scumacher 0. Why should winning like Senna in 93 or Schumi in 94 be the only validation to be a great? How can you create the same race conditions and scenario? As i said, neither beat a 2 time world champion IN HIS PRIME their rookie year. But i'm not validating this as the only way to be great like you are. There are many other notable races that Hamilton was spectacular. You guys are gonna have an up hill battle trying to degrade Hamilton buy disagreeing with both past TEAMMATES of Schumi AND Senna and multiple F1 drivers

25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Most of the time to win a title you beat the defending champ. For instance how Rosberg beat Hamdashian. Schumacher beat Häkkinen. Etc. Etc. It’s racing. You should check it out sometime. You can’t really see an entire race on Tic Tok....