Must See / Do on Kauai? | FerrariChat

Must See / Do on Kauai?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by CAS, Mar 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Aloha,

I will be spending 8 days in Kauai at the end of March through first week of April. We are staying on the shore in a condo at Poipu.

We are very active, and I am looking forward to snorkeling, body surfing, and hiking. Can anyone recommend their favorites on the island? We will have a car, so driving to the North Shore is absolutely an option. Your insight is very appreciated.

Thank you,

Clint

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Clint.... long time, man.

I hope all is well.

Ahhh the Garden Isle.... Lots to do, and then again, you could do nothing!

If you want to hike there is no better than the Napali Coast (Except for maybe Stairway to Heaven). Though, since it's winter, you've got to check and see if it's doable..... Then there is Waimea Canyon - Check that out..and go explore.

Maui is typically considered the sports island, but they all have similar experiences.....Kauai being the quietest and most laid back.

Have you been whale watching? Do it! If they get you up close it's awesome seeing these beautiful creatures playing around. You can see them from the coast for sure, but nothing is like seeing them 10' away.

If you want some extreme stuff, Kauais got it.... zip lines, surfing, etc... They used to have sky diving but I think that might be out now. (Don't ask why)

Car = Good

The island is pretty small. You'll be able to see it all. Just remember - Take no valuables & leave no valuables....A lot of crime of convenience. Tourist (Easy to tell by rentacars) leave little things in the car while they go do something and "poof" ..gone

So, have fun...take picts...do everything...leave time for doing notin'

Aloha

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I've been to Kauai a couple of times. Beautiful place, for sure.

There are wild chickens everywhere. You'll see them in the bushes around the hotels and parks.

The river boat cruise is a touristy thing to do but I enjoyed it.

We saw the humpback whales jumping offshore from the beach when I was there.

As I remember, the beaches on the west side of the island are more remote than the ones on the east side.

The hills and vegetation look like the scenes from Jurassic Park (I think parts of that film were made there).

Enjoy your trip.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Inner tubing down the irrigation flumes is really cool. There are a few tunnels that you go into that are pitch black and very small and long. I recommend this. You can also rent kayaks and kayak up river to the fern grotto, also very nice. I forget the name of the river but it should be easy to find. You must go to the Kokee Park and hike around up there! (Its cold so pack accordingly! Its the Grand Canyon of the Pacific...incredible! Napali coast is breathtaking and if you are a hiker you will love it but if there is a way to check it out by kayak or by small tour where you can snorkel a little this would be superior IMO.

5. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
  6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  7. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint

Eric,

Been too long! Thanks for taking the time to respond, I was hoping you would. As far as hiking goes, the Kalalau Trail is on our itinerary. We also want to see the Queens Bath and explore the rainforests near Princeville.

I wanted to fly gliders, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to Maui during this trip. And the aerobatic gliders have a height limit of 6'1". Disappointing.

Whale watching is going to happen, thanks for the tip. We are also going to take a Cat and sail out to snorkel.

We will leave no valuables in the car; I appreciate the advice on that. Wouldn't have occurred to me; you may have saved us some trouble.

At this point, I'm mostly concerned about rain. First week of April doesn't look good, and every day I check the beach cams on the island, and every day it's been overcast. I'm really hoping for some sun. Fingers crossed. I can't believe how much rain/flooding they have had, and per the article, sewage runoff. Yuck.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to the jungles. Jurassic Park was partially filmed there. We will be stopping at Costco as soon as we get off the plane, and I read about the chickens in their parking lot!

If weather permits, Na' Pali is where we are going, but we will also check out Kokee Park if it gets knocked off the list.

Thanks. I am making a list of beaches and added this after you posted. Others on the list are Tunnels, Brennecke's (I'm not bringing a board but I'm really excited to bodysurf here. Hoping its like Hapuna on Big Island), and Shipwreck's.

I'll keep this thread updated as we build the itinerary, and of course I'll post pictures while we're there.

Thanks again guys. Cross your fingers for sun!

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #8 GuyIncognito, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Arrived today. I'm already in love with Kauai. Rented a Jeep, should be fun.

I practically sprinted to the beach when we pulled up, then we drove down to Brennecks (2 miles, 5 mins away) and spent some time bodysurfing. It got big and awesome.

I'll post more tomorrow, getting settled into the condo now and I'm listening to the waves break outside the door. I'm not sure there is any greater paradise than Hawaii. Pictures to come.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    have you gotten leied yet?

:D

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yes, NNO is anxiously awaiting your beach pics...... ;):)

12. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    [​IMG]

From the patio.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

13. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Update,

Secret Beach is truly spectacular. World-class. I don't have enough superlatives to describe; a must see. The beach at the Poipu Sheraton is really nice for swimming. Crowded, but deep sand and no protective reef. Fun and relaxing, beautiful sand and colors. Brenneckes is better for bodysurfing.

We are sailing tomorrow, snorkeling and whale watching, pictures and a review to follow.

14. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Simple meal on the lanai right now:

Grilled Ono, pine nut couscous, and a light salad. Sauv Blanc is the perfect wine. I can't think of a better combo than Sauv Blanc and this setting. We are drinking Kim Crawford.

Kauai Costco is highly recommended.

[​IMG]

15. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    [​IMG]

Honu

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Costco is Gods gift to the islands. Try the BBQ Ribs some time. The're really nummy. Also if they have a KTA on your island the fresh fish is inexpensive and very fresh.

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think there is a good supermarket when you head out of Poipu and take the "other" road. The "other" road is not the one that is the spectacular tunnel of trees.

18. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Road to Hanapepe from Koloa