Mustang GT convertible or BMW M4 convertible? | FerrariChat

Mustang GT convertible or BMW M4 convertible?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by SCKOMS, Jul 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I had leased a 2017 NSX but returned it early because I never fell in love with it.....it did not seem engaging and lacked "soul".

I'm looking for a DD convertible, as well as something to take to 2 or 3 track days per year (willing to do some mods for this). I started looking at 2016 M4s than saw some comparisons with the 2018 Mustang GT...I know...very different cars, but close in performance, at least on paper. Cost is similar, but the Mustang will have a couple of years of factory warranty left...the M4 will require an extended warranty.

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance!

2. eladoppel

eladoppel Rookie

Jan 30, 2016
    Stow, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dale Leppo
    I can't give you an exact comparison, but I can get close. I owned a 2013 BOSS 302 Mustang and am two years into a 3 year lease on a 2018 BMW 440i x-drive convertible.

Mustang Pros: Great sound, fairly comfortable, great acceleration, fun to drive. Decent track car.
    Mustang Cons: Large car for a smallish interior, useless back seat.
    My Conclusion: It wasn't a great DD for me and so I sold it in less than 24 months. As a "toy" car it would work fine, but as a DD it just didn't work out that well...for me.

BMW Pros: I love the turbo straight six, the retractable hard top is so much fun to show people (especially the "raise the whole trunk" function. The retractable hard top acts like a hard top when up (no wind noise, quiet overall), fairly useful back seat.
    BMW Cons: After two years it just doesn't seem special anymore. Ingress and egress are compromised by the huge doors.
    My Conclusion: I get a lot of compliments on the car, but it will go back to BMW at the end of the lease. (I haven't tracked it.)

Overall Comments: I haven't driven an IRS Mustang, but I have rented solid rear axle Mustang convertibles and they are fun on the street. The retractable convertible top makes the BMW a more practical DD convertible for me, but not by much. That having been said, if you are talking about a used BMW M4 vs a new Mustang GT I would be tempted to go for the new Mustang because that way you can spec it out the way you want it, have a warranty and avoid the dreaded "Bring Money Weekly" syndrome that an older BMW can have. Note: My 440i has been perfect in its first 24 months and 20,000+ miles but friends warned me to lease it for three years and send it back.
    Out of the box thought: Friends who have had Minis seem to love them long-term. I am looking at one for my next DD. Just a thought.

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I would definitely not own a BMW, especially a turbo out of warranty. An extended warranty is north of $6K for 3 years of coverage, so yeah, a new or one year old Mustang GT would be less costly to buy compared to a 4 year old M4 and of course, less costly to run. I just have to get behind the wheel and see how I like it.

4. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Mustang, cheap to maintain, and aftermarket performance mods are plenty and widely available.

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    After checking things out more carefully, the Mustang convertible does not have roll over protection....so no-go for the track

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    V8 Mustang convertibles are a hoot.

7. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.