My 12 month California T odyssey | Page 43 | FerrariChat

My 12 month California T odyssey

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Udaverea, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had a proud parent manners moment yesterday:

My younger son and I had some errands to run in my Cali T before he went back to finish his junior year at U of Miami today. We had a break in the rain and put the top down, with lots of upshifts and downshifts to listen to as we went to several stores. At one point, he smiled and said "I've been pausing my conversation when you're about to shift, I thought that if I spoke when a nice pop or crackle was going off it would be as if I was interrupting...".

:)

2. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1052 Udaverea, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saturday the temps were down to where I ran the "country circuit" with the top closed. Bright sun and very dry road conditions, so I did a lot of brake testing to see what the effects of temperature had on grip via stopping distances. Severe braking from 60-0 produced ever decreasing sliding as the tires warmed, as shown below, but it showed how the Pirelli P-Zeroes are much better at warmer temperatures.

I then drove over and ordered a set of Pirelli Sotto Zero for the cold months, expecting much better cold traction on dry. I will go out on a similar day and post results.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had an interesting situation yesterday when I left the office. It was 24 degrees F and my Cali T was parked facing east-west on a cold but not windy and very sunny day. When I turned the key my TPMS screen showed my right rear (north side of the car) at 2 lbs lower pressure than the left rear, but a temperature difference of over 15 degrees. The fronts did not have as much of a difference between them, but it was enough for the right rear to be highlighted in yellow for the drive home. I did some heavy braking to speed up the warming of the tires, and eventually they all warmed up, and temperatures and pressures matched from side to side, as usual, but the yellow highlight stayed on. I should have taken pictures.

When I got home I proceeded to shut down and start back up to see the condition of the settings on the TPMS screen, and as it turned out the TPMS needed recalibrating, which it did when I selected it. Good work, actually, by the software to make sure everything was working correctly. I was impressed.

Tomorrow I get my new winter tires put on that I had ordered, Sotto Zeros, thanks, Rick, for the strong recommendations. We expect our first light dusting of snow tomorrow, so good timing.

Mitchell, snow is what you think it is, but without the choice of cherry or grape or pineapple syrup. Instead of being handed to you in a little cone and colorful, it remains all white and covers the ground, roads, houses, etc. I cannot explain why they call it a dusting, since it is usually wet or frozen... White everywhere. Totally not an MSA environment... You may have seen pictures...

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Snow sounds cold, and scary ! CharlieChampie likes sunshine so she can run around with her top off.

5. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Perversely alluring...

6. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow. I just had my first wet and cold day to and from the office on my new SottoZero tires. 36 F, wet from all day mist and rain...

WHAT EXTRORDINARY GRIP!

In full acceleration in first gear at 5500 to 7000 RPM on my PZeroes on dry at 55 F I would get a lot of traction control activity, stumbling the engine every 300 RPM.

In the same range on the SottoZero at 36 F in very wet, only a single short blip on the traction control with the tires at 40 F, and no slip at all when the tires were at 52 F.

Like Rafael de Simone says, "we need to help the tires find the grip"...

These find it...

:) :) :)

7. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Deflate-gate! Was Tom Brady anywhere near your car?

8. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not that I was able to ascertain...

The thing that was interesting to me was what the temperature differential (and thus the pressure difference) being due to the south side of the car being bathed in direct sunlight (with no wind) on the tires and the asphalt parking surface, and the tires in the shade of the car being on asphalt also in the shade. I watch the TPMS all the time, and see the effect of tire temperature on tire pressure, which in this case evened out upon driving and braking. Each other time I have seen the TPMS the left-to-right pressures match. Admittedly, likely more interesting to me than to most...

9. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Oh, I would geek out on that too. Especially the tire temps...haven't had that in a car before. Would be cool to monitor that out on a track session.

10. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bright sunny day today, dry road surfaces, 36 F, tires at 55 F and the SottoZeroes have amazing grip on my "country road circuit".

Looks like fun, fun, fun even in the cold months. *

* Mitchell, in the northern hemisphere, the cold months are December thru March, just so you know...

11. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I cannot find Pirelli SottoZero tires for my Cali T scale model. Not AN-E-WHERE.

However...

...now that I think about it...

...I don't push it around in my freezer, either, so...

...I think I'm OK...

;)

12. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Not your freezer you have to worry about, it' s your______.

Let's be creative and have you all post what you filled in that blank with.

13. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Keith, you mentioned celebrating your good first yearly service with a drive home with the top down at 56 degrees to celebrate. I've been daily driving with the top down whenever it breaks 50. Winter tires and top down, a great combo that I never would have anticipated...

...daily driver at its best.

On Saturday it reached a very unusual for January 68 degrees F, lots of open top cars that day...

... a downright bone chilling day for Mitchell...

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hahahahahahaha indeed!

15. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mitchell,

Have you been able to catch the action when the face on your rev counter switches out?

Mine is yellow much of the time, but at other times it is black. Occasionally it changes when I am driving, but as I am paying attention to the road, I have not seen the swap out mechanism, I'm thinking it is Swiss (advanced cuckoo clock technology perhaps...).

I can't find a pattern for when it is one or the other, and after a lot of searching, I have not found any settings, or even mention of this, in the owner's manual.

I'm asking you specifically as a means to try to rule out temperature as the trigger, since your temperature is constant 24 hours a day...

;)

16. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Rick, it's funny, I was about to post, anyway, about noise myself, but not brakes.

Here we get some nice weather days in the winter months, hitting 64F today. I did some driving on my normal country circuit, and I find the SottoZero Zeroes have fairly good dry stopping power, but they let out a shriek that has me turn around after each heavy 70-0 braking, expecting to see tires marks. None. But it sounds like the sound of heavy skidding on the road. Crazy. Likewise, I have a 120 degree right turn off a main road I go out of my way to turn on, at speed, typically silently at 45mph, and this first time with winter tires and dry conditions also caused a wake-up-the-neighborhood shriek, but no marks either.

Good having them for true winter needs, especially cold dry traction, but still looking forward to getting the summer treads on...

Mitchell, when my first summer set needs replacing I'm looking forward to trying out your tire replacement choice...

17. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    #1067 Fly4Ree, Mar 1, 2016
    I am nearing the beginning of the end of my one year odyssey. The ordering process began in early April of last year. There was some delay waiting for a 2016 slot instead of a '15. The car has arrived at the dealer today. It gets cleaned up, paid for, then off to San Rafael for stereo work. After that out to Ohio for paint correction and shrink wrap. It should make it to me in late March, early April. This forum continues to be a fun place to watch and wait.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    #1068 Fly4Ree, Mar 1, 2016
  19. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Beautiful ... Colors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    The car is Nero Setoso which translates into Black Silky. It is an older Ferrari color, although I think one of the first Cali press release cars was of this color. The interior has the wide Gallo (yellow) stitching with Nero seats and burgundy diamond stitched insets. The piping is custom and matches the inset. The traditionally aluminum console has been painted black as have the air vents. While there was some thought at the highest levels that this color scheme would qualify for an honorary MSA award, I am guessing the accent colors will preclude that.

21. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very cool!! :) :) :)

Where did you do the configuration work?

22. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Atelier in New York. They are very good and worth the trip. Much easier for me than Italy, though perhaps next time...

23. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I did mine there also. Nice place. Nice staff.

More pics when you get all sorted out!

24. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Stunning, need more pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1075 Udaverea, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    My younger son was visiting us as part of his spring break at U of Miami, and we found a break in the rainy weather here in Western Tennessee to head out with the top down to my "country circuit" and switch driving duties a few times. He's got the 1-2 shift with full throttle gun shot sound down now. Almost brings tears to my eyes...

When we got back to the house there were opposite errands to run, and his eyes lit up when I asked if he wanted to take the Cali T to the store for his errand. Lit up is an understatement.

The fun part for me was watching him head down the winding driveway and down the street, for other than transporters, I have always been in the car when it was driving. Quite a sight to see, actually.

Fun day.

:) :) :)