My 12 month California T odyssey | Page 44 | FerrariChat

My 12 month California T odyssey

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Udaverea, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Driving with my son yesterday, a couple of times he asked if I heard a certain faint clicking sound. I did not. Then when I was in the passenger seat and he was driving, I started to hear it. Top was open, windows all down. Hard to discern the direction it was coming from. I raised my window and it went away. Very faint, repetitive clicking sound. The sound went away after some spirited driving...

Later he took the car to run an errand and returned with the solution to our quandary. We have a combination of Pirelli SottoZero winter tires and a pea gravel driveway. We looked at the P Zero tires in the garage storage area and compared to the SottoZero treads mounted on the car and it became apparent that only the winter tires have wide, deep tread grooves, great for pushing out water and slush, that can pick up gravel bits in the tread grooves that later come out when the tires are flexed. Little tiny temporary tap shoes.

So like some of my driving shoes with rubber nubs on the bottom that pick up gravel when I walk down the driveway to fetch the paper in the morning, the Cali T's winter driving shoes can pick up gravel also. Tap tap tap tap tap tap.

Who knew?

:)

uhn2000 likes this.
  2. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This morning, when my hands were full and I placed my Red Bull can (safely) on my roof (Suntek full wrap), it reminded me of the other day, when I did a Suntek demo for my son.

He asked how well lit protected, and I took my key and aggressively scratched a few lines into the top of the trunk lid.

I walked into the house and filled a coffee mug from the instant hot spigot in thee kitchen and came out and poured it on the lines and they instantly flattened out with no trace.

I'd tried this myself with a wire brush when the car was first delivered, but the keying was more impressive.

The moral of the post: wrap you car!

:) :)

Mitchell, I think, theoretically at least, you would be really well covered, since I believe if it EVER did rain where you are, it would most likely be really hot raindrops. But then again, how silly to even conjecture on this in theory, since in reality it does not rain in South Florida...

3. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    There is no part of my universe where I would take a key to test my Suntec. I would go crazy and vomit in my mounth.

4. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Faith, oh ye of little faith!

5. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    i don't believe a knife across my throat will always cut, but don't do that either :)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Au contraire, my demonstration exhibited quite a bit of faith...

;)

7. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was referring to Royal's post, about his projectile vomiting...

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    My vomiting was not projectile , totally self contained, so I could easily re-vomit.

9. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mitchell, I've got to hand it to you, always thinking ahead...

10. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Most likely a coincidence, but soon after my post about keying my Ferrari this YouTube video came out about Shmee 150 keying his Ferrari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7poOAEVKo

Mitchell, watch only with extreme caution...

11. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    He presented a good case for protection against vandalism, stone chips. Anyone know of a film to protect windshields? Have seen the applications to keep them cleaner, it's the star field effect I would like to avoid.

12. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I have put my suntex on the windshield as well, would NEVAH key my car, its just too emotional

13. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Please tell me more. Would expect a fair amount of rain in S. Fla., how do the wipers and the film do together?

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    In the unlikely event that it would rain in south florida, I would guess, after having the suntec on my car for about 1.5 years, no effect

NFS likes this.
  15. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    My mistake, I thought it rained 100+ days a year and averaged 4-5 feet. (48-60 inches) Miami-Dade, Monroe, and Sarasota etc.

16. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL

(caught my breath, then, once more...)

LOL

(apologies to Don)

17. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    #1092 Fly4Ree, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  18. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ...I don't know, I've been following FChat religiously, and I find it mentioned numerous times that it does not rain in South Florida. It's on the Internet...

19. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Probably written by Obama or his people, remember the state of Florida has not counted correctly in in an election for many many years. However, the blue hairs can play 12 bingo cards simultaneously

20. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Transport arrived at the end of my driveway this morning to take my Cali T to Ferrari of Atlanta for my first service. 7,200 miles, which is less than I expected at this point.

Getting the windscreen wrapped, luckily no rock nicks to date, so that record will remain.

Redoing the wrap piece where the rear of the roof seals on the rear deck with the brown seal stain. I'm sure a new one will return, but good to clean it up a bit.

Convenient scheduling during a trip to Las Vegas, get back when the car does, so no loss of daily driving time. A plus. Also have scheduled a large number of laps at Exotic Racing in Las Vegas in their new 488 GTB.

So I've got that going for me...

...which is nice...

21. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Wincos 70 film inside the windshield will stop star fields. Doesn't protect the windshield, but does have the benefit of blocking UVA/B and infra red which heats your car up and dries out the leather on your dash. When applied you will not know it's there (practically no tinting), but JUST enough to stop glare.

22. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm looking for an inside windscreen film that will produce Cavallino fields.

I need some more to count... ;)

23. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ...and it would be spectacular!

:) :) :)

24. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Too funny LOL

25. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    While you were waiting for that to be developed, there is a side project I think might interest you. Cavallino counting in the Ferrari F1 racing pits. (Be sure to take earplugs unless you tape it from the tv)