My $15,500 oil change and the mechanic from hell | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My $15,500 oil change and the mechanic from hell

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PeterS, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What would you do in this case?

1. Seek criminal prosecution

2. File a suit in small claims court for $2,500.00

3. Get him to agree to make me payments

4. Let it go

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I think they drained the transmission oil out of the tranny, and put in engine oil (in the transmission).

No extra 8 quarts in the motor.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Part of my extra oil blew out the exhaust on the front straight at Barber Motorsports Track. It looks very much like a F1 engine failure. The black flag came out and I aged 10 years in 3 seconds. I didn't know exactly what was wrong when I realized the car was, otherwise, still running fine. I have had this happen before but from only adding a couple extra to help with the hard right turn oil psi problem. I figured that was all that was wrong and since the lunch break was up next, I decided to drive back home (I live about 5 miles away) and just drain out the extra.

I get home, back it up on the ramps and grab the allen socket that was still lying on my driveway. The terror of reality hit me when the allen head didn't fit the oil drain plug. I INSTANTLY knew what I did. I went ahead and opened the trans. only to see 1/2 a cup of fluid pour out. I really thought I was about to throw up. That feeling you get in your gut is not pleasant. I mean I had driven to the track, ran some practice laps, ran a few hot laps and driven home like this. I havebeen using Redline syn trans fluid and along with one of those snake oil metal polymer additives for a couple of years now. I guess time will tell if those late night ads with empty engines running after using this stuff is really true or not. I hate being the real life test case, though.

I just went ahead and refilled everything and went back to the track. I figured what the hell. If it's ^*@#ed already so what?

The rest of the track afternoon went well and what little driving since then (1 month) has also been uneventful. I'll let ya'll know as time passes.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

That's a mistake you can't make. Putting in trans fluid requires removal of the left rear tire and inner fender well, removal of a damn-hard-to-access filler plug, a long tube and funnel and lots of patience.

Believe it or not that thing will drink up that extra oil when you pour it in.

4. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Ok then, i don't know what they did. I thought that's what their posts meant, but I guess they drained the tranny oil, but filled engine oil through the engine oil filler opening, even though the existing engine oil had not been drained? That explains your question...and the answer is, it would just fill up to a higher level, i.e. it would be backed up into the oil lines and passages, possibly even on top of the valves.

Typically a car with a lot of extra oil would just smoke a lot, right, as oil would flow in along with air when the valves opened, burn, during the combustion process, and get expelled along with the exhaust gases when the exhaust valves opened?

I have heard that there's a danger of blowing some seals, and possibly breaking the oil pressure relief valve spring.

I don't know if this applies to the 308.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's exactly how we did it. I guess time will tell about engine and transmission damage. I have heard the same stories as you. I just hope for the best.

6. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Ok. You guys didn't check the oil level after doing an oil change????? Mr. Goodwrench wants your badges turned in.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Actually, that's a good question. 308's are funny about that. If you check it cold the level is not accurate. The owner's manual says the enging should be warm and then wait 15 min after shutdown before you pull the stick. If I don't do this, the oil level is all over the place. So that's how I do it. I never worry about driving around some before checking the level because I know it has AT LEAST as much oil as I just put in.

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Maybe down the mechanics shop sink!

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I did the same thing on my 328, the factory Om is not clear and points to the trans drain plug as the motor oil plug.

I just filled up my motor with about 8qts and checked it before I did anything and figured out my mistake as the oil was way high on the dipstick, felt stupid and Po'd at the factory manual at the same time.

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Wayne called me on Tuesday and stated that he is mailing me headers and cash. Nothing in the PO box yesterday (its a day away). I'll look again today. I'm not holding my breath.

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I checked my PO Box today........NOT A DAMN THING!!!!!

12. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    maybe the mailman lost it.

john

13. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Sorry to hear this although I thought that might happen.

04-26-2004, 05:43 PM
    1975gt4don
    Karting Join Date: Nov 2003

Don't hold your breath. I hope I am wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peters
    Wayne contacted me today and stated that I will have my headers and a few other parts in the mail this week. Of main interest is the headers, either my old ones or new ones is what I stated. I will advise all of what actually shows up.

14. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I think this thread is about to get interesting!

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Peters, dude what are you waiting for?!! File the papers already! This guy is feeding you a load of crap again, and you are eating it by the spoon full. F-I-L-E THE COURT PAPERS. Don't be a sucker, again. He is telling you this just to keep you off his back. He will just keep feeding you rope until the spool runs out.

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I'm so sorry to hear of such a blatent rip-off. I hate lawyers but I hate this Wayne guy more. I really think you need to sue him. There's no excuse.

Also, some people seem to blame you for continuing to drop money into this guy's lap....well I say.... you seem to be a very trusting person and it's too bad this has happened to you. Experiences like these usually make a person bitter and cynical. I hope this doesn't happen to you.

Sometimes the offical Ferrari dealers are no better. I have personally heard the ca-ching, ca-ching as I walked in.

Shamile

17. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Unleash the hounds.

Contact the Cali BAR file a complaint, he could lose his license.

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Cali BAR told me that wayne DOES NOT HAVE A LICENSE!

19. atheyg

atheyg Guest

You could sue the hell out of him, thats illegal and criminal, it says it all about him right there!

Did he ever have one?

20. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I am not sure. That is out of my hands at this time.

Ps: Again, NOTHING in the 'ol PO Box yesterday!

21. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Makes me happy my mechinic's son is my son's friend.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What's a Cali (California?) BAR license? Is that just a regular business license or a special license needed to do business as a mechanic?

23. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Correct. A mechanic must have a mechanics license in the State of California to accept payment for work on cars.

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Alright then, sounds like he may have a lot more to worry about if he doesn't do you right besides this thread on Ferrari Chat. A whole lot more. Good for you.

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS