My $15,500 oil change and the mechanic from hell | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My $15,500 oil change and the mechanic from hell

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PeterS, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What would you do in this case?

1. Seek criminal prosecution

2. File a suit in small claims court for $2,500.00

3. Get him to agree to make me payments

4. Let it go

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Dr. T: Thanks, Pete

2. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I had the unpleasant opportunity to work for Wayne, and during my 4 months there, and knowing what I know now, everything Peters stated above is definitly part of Wayne's character. Before anyone makes the decision to give their car to Wayne, they need to do their research and not take anything Wayne says to them at face value.

3. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    UPDATE!

Served Wayne with Small Claims court paperwork on Monday and he wrote me a check for $3K that BETTER be good next week.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Peter,

Good lord you have been though so much with this guy. Thanks for the update.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Does that 3K mean you won't be going to court?

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    No way, Jose. I am also going to court! When he told me her was served, he stated "So, $5K would get us even"........I just about lost my mind!

7. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    "Even" is a relative term.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    ATA BOY PETE!!!!! That is great news. Make sure you get that check cashed FAST! Better yet take it to his bank and get the money in hand. However, with the way this guy does business, don't be surprised if it bounces to the moon and back. Also make sure when you go to court to get the maximum award allowed in small claims. Keep us posted bro, we're all pulling for you.

9. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Pete,

Be careful that the check you have does not "Imply", Payment in Full?

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    No...I will deposit it in my bank. If it bounces after I deposit it (and is returned to me marked NSF), I will take it back to his shop with a police officer to file a report against him right there on the spot! I am not screwing around with this guy as far as what I can legally do to recoup my loses.

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Then I find out today where my headers have been..... at an exhaust shop in Sacramento! While Wayne was telling me two months ago that "These bad boys are just about done and we are going to have such a hot exhaust system on your car".......UH HU.......

I find that my headers are at this shop awaiting payment to start the job. I asked the owner how much the custom system would cost and he stated $5K. Wayne quoted me $3200.00 for this setup and called it even last summer if I wrote him a check for $1600.00...

I guess I have SUCKER written on my forehead!!! So here's an additional $125.00 spent for a Fed-X Saturday delivery so I can get the headers tomorrow and get this car on the road!

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Good to see things finally turning over in your favor, Pete... i hope you pull this bastard through the wringer for all he's worth for all the crap he's put you through...

13. RAP

RAP Rookie

Apr 3, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    me i would find a couple of guys named guido an bruno and go get your satisfsction , make him an offer he cant refuse ( take along a washtub and a bag of quick drying cement) ,its people like that ,that srew it up for everyone even the best of wrench turners will tell ya that, good luck

14. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The more I drive my car (Just one week back on the road), the more I hate my EX mechanic. He stole a good year of driving from me. I can't wait to see his ass in front of the judge in two weeks.

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey Peter,

I just started looking at this site a couple of weeks ago and I subscribed today. Thanks for posting your story - and know you have a lot of support. Keep fighting the fight and let us know how it goes.........'cause I'd be beyond pissed if I was dealing with this...

Eric

16. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Sorry to hear about your headache Peter - I'm glad to hear you're taking action, and that you have your car back and on the road.

I have a similar situation with work done at a NY Ferrari authorized dealer that I am spending $25k to fix due to their poor diagnoses, assessment and major service - And, FNA only told me, 'sorry, there's nothing we can do' - I will post this story up when I have the chance.
    David

17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My court date is tomorrow, 6/17 in small claims with this POS mechanic!

18. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Damn, this thread is going on? WTF??????

19. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    William,

How can it be over without resolution??

All agree that Peter got Hosed, (Pun not intended)
    It want to hear the outcome from a Legal standpoint.

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Give em' Hell Peter.

21. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    Did that $3k check ever clear?

22. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Yes it did. (There is a God!)

23. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I would place an ad in the local newspaper requesting anyone who has received less than satisfactory service form that shop to contact the number placed in the ad. If one gets enough response one could, as a group, contact both a civil lawyer and the appropriate police agency, and initiate complaints under the racketeering statute of your state or federally if one can meet the requirements, which I would be willing to speculate is possible. There is a case in Indiana, Kollar v. State of Indiana, that one might want to read. It is located in a North East 2d reporter, cannot recall which number. It involved a business owner who continuously made promises he never intended to keep, or knew he could not keep. I think he got 8 years. (This should not be construed as legal advice).

24. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hey Peter... Today I drove by SR Exotics (The idiot Wyane Hynes) shop and noticed there were two Livermore police units in front of the shop for the third time now... and then I noticed your truck was there.... What Happen???? I was hoping & praying that someone finally "cap" the SOB for ripping them off too. The funny thing was, I pictured you picking his pockets to get back what he owned you in court.... =)

Hey also Peter, and to ANYONE who is viewing this thread message response. I will post a thread later about how Wyane Hynes stole my spare tire from my garage, a little over a week ago. It’s a long story but it’s worth reading. Also when I posted the thread, I will also include the police report which I’m waiting for now. I really don’t think many Ferrari owners really don’t know much about this ******…this guy is a real piece of work. For anyone who don’t know me… I’m the guy who created this website which I really regret it now.

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Hey BH! Yup, that was me! You should have pulled in! I had two squad cars there because the $5K check he wrote me (court judgement) bounced on his closed account! This is after he CALLED me from his bank a week ago Friday and stated 'I am at my bank taking care of everything'....Uh-friggen-hu! At this point, I really can't go into my next step of action on a public forum. As for your post, I believe that everything you said about this POS is dead-on!What killed me was the fact that he had an engine out of what I believe was a (yellow) 355. IMO, I pitty the guy that owns that car, for he probably has yet to read this thread!