My 1997 Girard Perregaux Ferrari model 8020 chronograph wristwatch | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 1997 Girard Perregaux Ferrari model 8020 chronograph wristwatch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Brian A, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I really don’t think you should buy any watch with the hope of selling it again for a profit. Buy what you love and only buy for love. (… am I paraphrasing traditional advice about marriage?...) I love mechanical watches, but can't really explain why.

There were about 100 to 200 F1-047s made and exactly 1,000 F1-048s made. Thus, they are both extremely rare. That means nothing in the watch world, which seems to be driven mostly by fashion and marketing. Rolex makes 1,000,000 watches per year but any Rolex commands a price higher than these GPs.

Regarding the value of the boxes and papers, I doubt they add much value to the watch. They just make the watch easier to sell. … and help with the warm fuzzy feeling that the watch likely isn’t stolen property. I bought a watch with all the stuff and I can’t quite figure out to do with it all.

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    If you lust for the watch for reasons of making profit, you will never be one of the cool kids :)

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    HAH! I don't lust for the watch to make a profit but I have lived long enough to know that little unimportant things in the present can make a big difference in the future. For example, the red plastic jewel in a fountain pen can transform it's value. And getting the little things now makes life easier.

And I can't wait to be one of the "cool kids". :) I have the F1-047 arriving on Tuesday and a better bracelet arriving as well.
    Is there a form I have to fill out for the membership???

Lester

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!! VERY EXCITING! WELCOME TO THE CLUB COOL KID!!!

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So my first question as an actual member! The case back of my 047 is kinda rough looking so I asked the factory rep here in the US if it's something that they can repair after looking at Martin's. I was told yes, they will give me a new titanium case free with a factory service. Hmm.. but part of the draw for a Ferrari guy is the aluminum being part of a racing Ferrari. Well, will you return the aluminum case I asked. Nope.

So I may have a "beater" GP F1-047.

Unless I can be persuaded by the club members to do otherwise.

What say you?

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Should see a picture to see how bad it actually is.
    Aluminium is a soft material, even high grade. And the case back is the first thing, which gets scratches. Especially if you have a steel bracelet. After my rebuild they put a protective film onto the case back, which I didn't remove due to above mentioned reasons.Though mine is stainless steel.
    How much for this factory service including a titanium case?

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Factory service is $ 1100 and 6 week turnaround.

Here is the worst of the pics. Remember, if you set the magnification to "real size" this is probably not noticeable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Keep the aluminum watch as-is.

You can claim that it was Schumacher who put the scratches on the back. The BIG DEAL about the F1-047 is that the aluminum is (claimed to be) from an F1 Ferrari engine. Without that, its just your average ordinary rare expensive exotic Swiss chronograph.

Maybe since they only made 200, GP is secretly hoping to get the case back from you.

Yeah, aluminum is a soft metal for a watch case. Very unusual. I know “someone” who even managed to scratch a hard stainless steel case while working on water pumps.

A jeweler might be able to polish it, but you don’t want them to ruin the stampings or even the texture.

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.

LOL! :)

And I agree with Brian. If it works o.k., keeps the time, I would leave it like it is.

Best from Germany
    Martin

10. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Brian, do you have the instructions? The box essentially melted. Sigh. And until it cools I am unable no, unwilling to pull the box apart looking for them. I figured out how to set the time but not how to reset the stopwatch or set the date. A gentle cleaning made the back look much better.

ss

11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Top button starts and stops the sweep second hand "stopwatch" timer .

Bottom button resets the stopwatch dials to zero (returns them to "12 o'clock") but only when stopwatch is stopped.

Center button (the "crown") winds the spring when turned clockwise (spring cannot be over tightened). Watch is also self-winding using motion of the arm to move a winding weight.

Pull crown out one click and rotate to set date.

Pull crown out two clicks and rotate to set time. Do not rotate hands backwards across 12 o'clock.

Here is a nice (slightly florid) review of the 8020 (exactly my watch except with a blue face) which may give you some tips:

12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    That is not good. Date won’t set, one push of bottom button does nothing. Looks like it’s going back or time for serious renegotiations.

mpings or even the texture.[/QUOTE]

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Reviewing the prices from the website listed I'm surprised the GP I have trades so cheaply compared to others. I wld have thought the one with Crest wld trade at a premium. Did they just make alot of them or is the movement crappy?

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    GPs are exquisite watches. They are both rare and extremely well made.

They sell at 1/4 of their original MSRP because nobody has heard of GP and GP hardly advertises so they don’t drive demand. They make a lot of bejeweled one-off stuff nobody hears about. Additionally, the 8020 case is only 38mm so is currently out of fashion.

The Ferrari logo is also problematic because nobody except a few Ferrari owners want a watch with a logo on it. Check Panarai Ferrari prices. They are low too.

As I noted in post #1, all this argues for buying a GP. I love my 8020. I am not fond of the huge watches which are currently in fashion and the 8020 is just a perfect classic to my eye.

walnut likes this.
  15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #40 Martin308GTB, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    +8020 !!

Besides the fact, that I do not like them as well, but tastes are different......Since human wrists do not get bigger with fashion my opinion is, that these oversized watches are an ergonomic failure.
    Currently ladies watches are as big as our 8020. Ridiculous.

But on the other hand I can understand the watchmakers regarding size and bling. They admit, that today they primarily have to serve the russian and middle east market taste and fashion style. China got also more and more important for them. US, Europe or generally the western world no more so much.

Best Regards
    Martin

16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Well it looks like my membership has not been approved, my 047 goes back today. Back in the hunt though.

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The only GP that seems to be currently faked is the "1966" series Dual Time with the Ferrari watches largely ignored - unlike the Panerai prancing horse watches which were extensively knocked-off.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I have the same blue face GP 8020, except it has an alligator leather wristband (for which a replacement was rather hard to find, as I usually destroy wristbands rather quickly).
    Rgds

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Why no steel bracelet? I remove it from the watch once p.a. and throw it into my heated ultrasonic cleaner. Comes out like new.

Best Regards
    Martin

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Come on Martin: you know that one of the great challenge for an aspiring gentleman is to match the color of all leather accessories you are wearing: belt, shoes and wristbands. I have five different watches just to achieve this everyday. Among this a Hanhart "Fliegerchronograph" that is rather heavy to wear, with a very dark brown wristband...then you have to match the socks with the darkest color of the tie, then never wear black shoes with a blue blazer, and then, and then...
    (and actually, I am no fan of steel bracelets)
    Rgds

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.

Great. A Hanhart watch. I have schnapps from them, we got during a factory visit :)

Best Regards
    Martin

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, it's one of the limited serie of 2000 watches that are exact copy of the original "Fliegerchronograph" they made again in 1998; mine is number 715 if my memory serves me well. This is a very nice watch, but big and heavy. But as far as aviator watches go, that one is the "Real McCoy".
    Rgds

23. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #48 Brian A, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Wow!

I will acknowledge that I think your blue face version is one of the most beautiful of the 8020s, maybe the best. I might have selected that one if I did not already have a very nice “blue lacquer” face watch.

... all your watch needs to be perfect is a steel bracelet.:)

Saabguy likes this.
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, as said above, I have always prefered leather; the one I have is an original Girard Perregaux. But perhaps a "Schedoni" leather bracelet would have been the perfect one (provided that they did actually made some?)
    Rgds

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hey Bruno,
    this would affect originality :)
    Not for someone, who otherwise has so much fun keeping things original and genuine.

Best Regards
    Martin