My 1st Ferrari! I am still in shock........but this will be my journey :) | FerrariChat

My 1st Ferrari! I am still in shock........but this will be my journey :)

Discussion in '360/430' started by TommyTheV, Jan 2, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    #1 TommyTheV, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2023
    Been waiting for this moment for 17 years...and I finally did it. I keep thinking to myself, did I really do it? :eek:

Walking down memory lane...

I just graduated high school - early - in 2005. That summer I was so proud that I got into every college that I applied for. Not only that, the scholarships I received were more than enough to pay for any of them after spending my last 2 summers doing countless community services and applying for scholarships. I knew my parents couldn't afford to put me through college. They worked hard but as immigrants, life was tough. The goal was to go to college for as little to no debt as possible and I accomplished that and felt unstoppable thus I did what any college-bound kid would do...DREAM on...

I looked up what my degree would pay and with that salary, can I buy the best car out there that is both sporty AND luxurious? Obviously, my search narrowed down to a Ferrari. The best and newest back then that caught my eye instantly was the F430. I immediately found the best photo of it and printed it in my room. I even changed out the cartridge to make sure the picture would come out perfectly.

Once the picture dried up I put it in the clear sleeve of the folder that ended up being the folder I used for college for the next 4 years. This was supposed to motivate me but boy was I wrong...

College is the 2nd biggest reality check in life. My major was not nearly what I expected it to be so as time had gone by, my dream started to fade. By the time I finished college my "Ferrari" folder was tucked away in my room as if it would be embarrassing to even look.

About 5 years passed by since college graduation, and with so many changes I was able to rebound from the first big reality check I once again pursued my dream of owning a Ferrari. With a new startup, the first couple of years were rather slow and rough but I knew it would work. Through perseverance, I turned it around rather quickly, and then the biggest reality check came around, in order to own one I need to own a home in a nice and safe neighborhood so there goes the major seed money for anything BEYOND my initial dream car.

Sometimes I felt it was meant to be because a 488 Spider would be amazing to have for my first F car but it isn't true to the car that I fell in love with when I first discovered "Ferrari". That is when I switched gears looking at F430s. As much as I wanted to wait for a perfect 2005 year - the year I first discovered it - it is safe to say that the 2005 model year wouldn't be a "perfect" one due to its many issues and mileage by this time. And I didn't want to get myself into my first F-car with any issues as it would be a major deterrent for future purchases.

My search ended up between 2008 & 2009, and it had to be a Spider and an all tan interior. About 6 months passed by I finally found her :)

View attachment 3458816

View attachment 3458817

Attached Files:

efg2014, mcimino, JaguarXJ6 and 26 others like this.
  2. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Like you I finally got my highschool/college car. A Challenge Stradale. That’s a nice looking 430 you got there. Congrats!

TommyTheV likes this.
  3. jedijingle

jedijingle Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Sun Diego California
    Full Name:
    John
    Look Awesome Tommy. Congratulations.
    Jingle

TommyTheV likes this.
  4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Congrats !!!

Enjoy her to the MAXX !

TommyTheV likes this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Exquisite! What is that great color?

TommyTheV likes this.
  6. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Absolutely beautiful- Great to see hard work and focus pay off and dreams become reality :cool:

Awesome color combo and always loved challenge wheels on 430s

Enjoy and welcome :cool:

TommyTheV likes this.
  7. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Congratulations Tommy!

She's a beauty! Well worth the wait!

Nice back story, thank you for sharing.

Enjoy!

Will look even more modern with those monstrous taillights!

TommyTheV likes this.
  8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    You have found yourself a beautiful example to start with.
    Great colour combo.
    Congratulations and enjoy!

TommyTheV likes this.
  9. Turbodog

Turbodog Rookie

Sep 26, 2022
    Full Name:
    Ryan Rock
    Nice job! Thats a sweet car. Nice to see a young man driving a real car vs video games.

TommyTheV likes this.
  10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Some short story ya got there , curious to know what your career ended up being ;)

Got to tell you that is all around the prettiest 430 I've ever seen , what is that red?

Good luck, enjoy!

TommyTheV likes this.
  11. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Thanks everyone.

The color is Rosso Monza. Can't believe it is a $26,000 color option from the factory.

Once the BBS wheels are installed, the next step is to find a great body/paint shop for some paint correction and major detail to look like THIS one when it was brand new.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    (Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59051853@N08/25350307375)

The cool thing about Rosso Monza is it is a darker shade of the Rosso Fuoco but still has the gold dust mix in the red. Under the strong sun you can see the hidden sparkles.

I come to love and appreciate the color the more I look at it ;)

NYC Fred likes this.
  12. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Wow

Learn something new everyday on FCHAT!

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Interesting spec. 26K on a paint code and no carbon fiber (saw your other thread about getting carbon parts). At least most of the carbon fiber parts are simple bolt-on, so you can do that yourself.

AandSC likes this.
  14. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Congrats Tommy! Great story to share, hopefully provide inspiration to others that may need it.

TommyTheV likes this.
  15. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    stunning color! fun to see the progress!

TommyTheV likes this.
  16. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    That is one great looking F430. Mazel Tov.

TommyTheV likes this.
  17. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Congrats Tommy. Beautiful car! Glad to see something different :)

TommyTheV likes this.
  18. Adam Greenberg

Adam Greenberg Formula Junior
    Miami 2018

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Adam Greenberg
    As they say, you can’t buy taste, so added bonus for you , that color combo is lights out !

Congrats

Similar to you I always dreamed and got my first one at 39 l, 6 years ago and what a day, I’ll never forget

Cheers man

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

TommyTheV likes this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

TommyTheV likes this.
  20. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Awesome spec! Congrats!! All the carbon fiber goodies you’re planning are going to make it a really special car.

TommyTheV and colorfull like this.
  21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That is an absolutely amazing color

TommyTheV likes this.
  22. Omega.PO85

Omega.PO85 Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Congratulations! Great color combination.

TommyTheV likes this.
  23. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and support of my choice. Really warms up my heart knowing my color combo is on the right path.

Curious to know what I REALLY fell in love with while searching? I knew I could wait around for 10 years and something like this wouldn't come around or it could probably cost as much as 488 Spider. It would be totally worth it in my opinion though...take a look ;)

Back to reality again: At first, when I saw the $26K color option I was so mind blown by how that could be and immediately researched. I saw some other specialty Rosso colors for as much as $35K if I remembered correctly. That is literally someone's car right there just for the paint :confused:

That actually got me really nervous because I would imagine my paint repair/correction work would be more costly than most but I guess I would have to just experience it to know. Fingers crossed :)

As for the aluminum parts, I don't really mind it that much since - similar to the white F430 above - it looks more relaxed and well-balanced with the rest of the interior.

I only want parts that are standard plastic or black to be ungraded to Carbon Fiber and not have everything in CF so each section has its own character.

24. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Congrats! the one you bought is nicer... this is too ricer.

Flea7 and TommyTheV like this.
  25. Patman

Patman Karting

Jul 5, 2014
    Eastvale, CA
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Beautiful Tommy! That color is stunning! I’m contemplating respraying my FD that color! That shade of Rosso is so classy!

TommyTheV likes this.