My 206 at Concorso Italiano | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 206 at Concorso Italiano

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Aug 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Does Concourso have categories similar to Pebble? At Pebble, there are the objective class judges that judge for authenticity and then there are the subjective honorary judges made up of known designers and leaders of the automotive related industry. They judge for the elegance awards which is a subjective consensus judging. Each lead class and honorary judge then has one vote for “Best of Show” which is also a consensus subjective award.

Are the “Ferrari” awards for “most beautiful” or something similar?

Freeman

2. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I didn’t take any of mine at Concorso, but here’s one from a show last year...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cnpapa24 likes this.
  3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Yes, Matthias judged in 2015 at both Concorso Italiano and at the FCA National Meet that same week. He was by far the more knowledgeable of the judges so (unfortunately) his time was also spent helping the other judges judge their assigned areas.

One thing I've learned over the years of having my Dino judged is if/when you learn details of your judging deductions, be sure to verify that those deductions were valid (this community, or Matthias himself are good for that). Once I had a very prominent Pacific FCA judge assign a couple deductions for things that are totally correct on my early Dino (channel paint color under the engine, trunk & front lids). It's a good thing I had proof I was right (an original sales brochure for my year Dino) and he was wrong or I would've gone off and had those areas repainted THE WRONG COLOR! So yes, use judging as a learning experience, but verify before correcting.

4. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In my experience, judges are always going to find some nits to pick, and every year it’ll be a different set of nits. So rather than getting into a game of whack-a-mole, get it as correct as you can, collect your documentation, and then let it go.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Uhh, no.

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jon's car was "judged" in a walk-by/subjective way. As I said, nobody opened the doors of Jon's car, or looked in the engine bay, started the engine, turned on the lights, examined the interior up close, etc., like they did for my Dino and mark3kl's Dino.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #32 4CamGT, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

At Pebble, for the Elegance Awards, it’s appropriate for the honorary judges to approach the owner and introduce themselves. The judges are not allowed to touch the car unless invited by the owner. The owner/representative will then show the judges around the car and share its history. “If” the owner or representative is nowhere to be found, the car will be judged by walking around the car and then the honorary judges discussing it. This might have been the case here? Here we are having the privilege of “judging” the Modulo this year with the owner :)

Freeman

8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I didn’t get to go to Concorso as I’m recovering from spine surgery. Chris Dugan brought the car to show it as I’m selling it and thought that would be some good exposure. It wasn’t entered to be judged and I have no idea where the second place came from.

synchro likes this.
  9. CharlieFee

CharlieFee Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charlie Fee
    Freeman, are you the fellow in the glasses that lives in Westlake? Think we met once when Alois was in town.

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes

11. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I was at Concourso just recently and met the owner of this dino, lovely bloke, we exchanged contact details but since returning home I have lost it.
    Can someone help in contacting the owner of this dino please.
    He is the Gentleman in the doorway of the car.
    Many thanks.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    AFAIK, Concorso Italiano Ferrari judging is conducted in accordance with IAC/PFA guidelines and rules, but there is a "preservation award" for which designated (small) team of judges choose one they feel best represent it. They usually ask suggestions for consideration from all class judging teams. We offered two from our (non-Dino) class, but I had to leave early so I don't know whether either won.

13. CharlieFee

CharlieFee Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charlie Fee
    I loved the Germ Green 246GT, and have decided that will be the focus of my hunt the rest of the year. If anyone knows of one for sale, please advise! I asked about the one at the show, sadly the owner isn't ready to part with it.

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Going to take longer than the rest of the year to find one!

15. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Probably faster to buy one in a different color and paint it...

16. CharlieFee

CharlieFee Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charlie Fee
    Ha, I figured it might take some time. Seems to be a popular to have repainted these any color of the buyers liking.

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  18. CharlieFee

CharlieFee Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charlie Fee
    Mate! No pity at all, we have ships that can carry cars across the pond! You've made my day.

19. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    I make this observation mostly in jest, but those of you guys who are into having your cars judged must be sado-masochists! I do understand the desire to make something completely perfect and correct, "as it was born", but to endure the stress, and the potential conflict with judges...Oy! Each to his/her own, and no disrespect intended.

Jon, I hope your back is doing better. I am a member of that club, too.

Kind regards, to all, John in CT.