My 208 GT4 has finally arrived from Italy | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 208 GT4 has finally arrived from Italy

Discussion in '308/328' started by fastricky, May 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classicalfas

classicalfas Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2012
    Gardiner, NY
    Full Name:
    Peter D
    Awesome, can't wait to see it!

fastricky likes this.
  2. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    I love this car so much!

My only quibble is the gearing is absurdly low, is there any fix to that? Perhaps a different diff or different gears in the diff?

3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    You get used to it .It gives extra agility especially in hilly roads with tight corners .
    In the U.K. race series they used to fit the 308 ( both inc GT s ) racers with the lower final drive of the 208 .

I guess it’s possible to go the other way ? Drive it for a year then decide .

4. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The gearing gives it the same acceleration off the line as a 308 GT4. In fact having owned both, I would say the gearing is equally well matched to the engine output in both cars. I suspect if you changed the gearing it would feel very slow in acceleration in order to give you lower rpm while cruising in top gear. As suggested give it some time to get used to it or you may find yourself spending a lot of money on a mod that makes the driving experience worse.

5. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Yes I think these are wise words, I'm going to let the magic be.

208 GT4 likes this.
  6. classicalfas

Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2012
    Gardiner, NY
    Full Name:
    Peter D
    I met Rich this past weekend, we swapped cars and I got a chance to drive his beautiful 208. Hung out till almost 11pm, had a great time, looking forward to more drives.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JOEV, Pero, Kent Dellenbusch and 10 others like this.
  7. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    You guys didn't call me?! Offended! Let me know next time the meeting of the Dinos takes place and I'll be there (with an Alfa or 964 to barter rides with...)

8. classicalfas

Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2012
    Gardiner, NY
    Full Name:
    Peter D
    It has not taken place yet, Rich just came by one Friday night.

9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Late to the thread
    Amazing car. Well
    Played sir.

Love the color. I actually think the 208 sounds better

Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  10. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    #36 fastricky, Aug 29, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    Welp, it's been an eventful ownership with the 208 so I thought I'd chronicle some of the journey so far.

Upon receiving the car it went to a shop for a once over and it needed some work done: Rebuilt steering column, brakes, various electrical items, re cored rad, heads tuned and a few other minor jobs.

I drove it a bit and it still wasn't 100% and had developed a few new issues (major oil leak from the transmission linkage for one) so back to a shop it went. The tranny linkage got sorted, new bushings, new motor mounts, rebuilt shifter, A/C system fixed, a seat tear fixed, more electrical fixes and a ceramic coating and color correction.

OK at this point I'm thinking the car is ready for prime time! Picked it up and all seemed good. On my next semi long drive (2 hrs+) the motor started to overheat dramatically. I pulled over to find I had developed a major coolant leak and the alternator wasn't working. Back to the shop! (That is after a 6 hour wait for a tow in the middle of nowhere as it was a Sunday night).

They determined the water pump had seized and caused the belt to snap disabling the alternator. A new water pump, new coolant reserve tank, hoses and belts were installed. On the way home from the shop THE SAME issue occurred again! Fortunately this time I was able to coast into a rest stop and it was weekday and midday. I had my wife pick my up and left the car at the rest area for the tow service to pick it up.

The shop discovered the reason the issue reoccurred was that a heat shield that was supposed to be in between the exhaust and the water pump belt was missing, so the heat from the exhaust melted the belt and the alternator was no longer working as well as the water pump. The correct shield was fortunately sourced and the car was repaired.

OK now I'm feeling like this car is truly ready for some hard miles. On the drive home from the shop I heard a loud rushing air sound coming from the engine compartment all of a sudden, then the car lost power and died. I was on the side of the interstate this time but fortunately my wife was driving behind me this time as we met at my folks house after picking up the car for dinner. I left the car on the side of the interstate (secretly hoping it would be stolen), and went home. The tow service was engaged and the car went to the shop.

I just found out the issue this time was that the timing pulley disintegrated. So we'll be replacing all the pulleys to be safe and will be inspecting the head to be sure there was no damage.

The funny thing is despite all this absurd suffering, I still look forward to driving the car next time it's ready! Fortunately this isn't my first rodeo with a vintage car (I own a few) so I know shaking out a car can take some time, but man the 1-2-3 punch of these breakdowns has been painful.

GermanDino, Pero and desmomini like this.
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Geez. That’s a terrible string of misfortunes. Hope you have some uneventful years of ownership ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

kerrari, fastricky and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Who the **** is working on your car?!!?!?

13. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    I bought mine 2017 at auction .It’s was put in by a classic car club syndicate.Circa 25 cars they keep them for between 3-5 yrs .Depending on use age patterns from the “ members “ churn them through classic auction sites U.K. .Replace them for something else .This 208 was sourced in salt free southern Italy .
    In the mean time in the U.K. it was Ferrari approved work shop maintained and had a file of invoices .Not an Indy a “ Ferrari approved “ FWIW .

So it had its usual stuff done or commented upon needing doing soon .

Has been on a Euro hoon around the Swiss alps , a Swiss classic rallye and various U.K. classic rallye s .

I’ve done bits to it Eg brakes , AC regass , fix the Ariel , dismantle and fix the bumper rubber sagging , replace the header tank , replace a few hoses and even replace the exhaust ( was shot ) and the alternator. New steering rack .Strip and lub the wiper motor All DIY .

Used a respected U.K. Indy ( restorer ) to do the cam belts , tune the carbs and fix the gear shift oil seal .Used a local BMW racing prep shop to re bush the suspension, there’s nothing special about its suspension btw .

It’s value has risen since 2017 to cover what I have put in .
    Retired having had ( while working ) a Testarossa back in the day and 2001 a 360 F1 .just wanted seeing as I have the time DIY er F car .

Hard to believe to those who have never had Ferraris but this GT 4 is the best driver handling balance wise , most fun than the other two .Being analogue easy to work on .

Pero, fastricky and desmomini like this.
  14. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Pocono Sportscar, very respected Ferrari only shop. I can't blame them, it's just been bad luck they couldn't have anticipated. Plus because the 208 GT4 is such a rare car here in the US, the heat shield was something they weren't familiar with so I credit them for sorting that one actually.

15. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    "Non c'e due senza tre"... hopefully smooth sailing now and you can make it to Peter's Dino GT4 meet in October. :)

fastricky likes this.
  16. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Thanks, but unfortunately I'll be driving to Oregon on an epic road trip (not in the 208!)

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Sad to read about all of your troubles. / Glad to read that you are an experienced vintage car owner who knows that the problems can be resolved once and for all.

fastricky likes this.
  18. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It sounds like your car may not have been driven much prior to purchasing. These cars are pretty reliable once everything is settled.
    Good luck with your new car.

desmomini and Portofino like this.
  19. dino1971

dino1971 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2013
    Bordeaux, France
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I agree that these are great cars to drive and that one quickly forgets all the grief. They ARE very reliable, once sorted. The problem, as always, is when the car is new (to you) and you need to discover and clean up all the lingering issues. I'm glad to hear you're going to pull through this and enjoy the drives.
    Great color!!

20. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I must admit I had a similar experience with my low miles 208 GT4. It looked great but as I drove it a lot of issues surfaced.

I sold it in the end and bought a high miles 308 GT4 which has been very reliable. I do get it serviced every couple of years and there are always a few things picked up which need doing. But I feel I'm on the front foot in that the things that get done are preventative rather than fixes. And that's a far nicer experience than getting regularly stranded by your car.

desmomini likes this.
  21. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Thanks all for the encouragement, I've come this far so I'm in for a penny, in for a pound... and as mentioned I do love driving the car so I'm hopeful I'm at the tail end of this nuttiness.

desmomini likes this.
  22. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    super clean!

23. fastricky

fastricky Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    rich buceta
    Want to feel better about your day? Here's what I learned today about my 208 to add to the story:

- The pulley disintegrated only because a valve broke and went into a cylinder. The motor will need to be rebuilt, may as well replace all the sodium valves so the issue doesn't occur again. Plus new piston(s) (I want to go higher compression to add some ooomph) etc etc. Hoping the estimate is doable.

24. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Man that sucks. But you have a lovely car and will be even better with a revitalized engine!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

samsaprunoff and fastricky like this.