My $300,000.00 GTBi | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My $300,000.00 GTBi

Discussion in '308/328' started by PittsS2APilot, Jan 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I had that happen to me too. The guy was surprised when I told him it only had a V8. He asked twice about the engine which leads me to believe he was confusing my 308 for a Boxer, more money and speed.

2. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

If it helps, I did a net present value (inflation rate based) on $56,800 in 1977 to year end 2007 and the car is worth (in 1977 $$$'s) $182,280. Guess they aren't too far off if you put the money into something that paid compound at 3.96% over the last 30 years.

For the record, never heard "less than 6 figures" when people SWAG the cost.

Never see disappointment at the real cost either, but I have heard "I could own a piece of history"

3. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Closest we have is in Arizona. I once missed Waffle House so much, I drove to Tucson (closest one at that time) for breakfast and to have the "train wreck" hash browns. Since then, a bunch of Waffle Houses have opened in Phoenix.

4. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Great funny story . It's funny to see how much the authority figures on high performance sports cars know very little about Ferraris.

5. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Because everything from the eighties was phenomically inflated! Not convinced!? Does the word "Yuppies" and "Beemers" mean anything? Geez, I feel old all of a sudden! :D

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I had a guy at a gas station insist that my 308 would go over 200 MPH. I tried to dissuade him of that notion, but he told me I was wrong. LMAO!

Birdman

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Seems you know how to break the news to 'em, in a conspiratorial whisper - inspiring them to do just that.

8. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The camera guy in the local TV station Van starting filming my car as we were driving down the highway. At first I thought one of my wheels might be loose or my car was on fire. Hot news flash at 6:00PM. I gues he was curious.

9. RJay

RJay Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I too found this fascinating. When the true cost of the car was mentioned, the faces would fall. When I would speak about her as just a 29 year old car...falling again. I guess the myth is stronger than the reality. With an engineering background, I tend to want to be truthful. What I find is that folks don't seem to want the truth when it comes to spotting your car...they prefer the myth. So...when this comes up again, I go with the myth usually by inserting silence where a truthful response was needed. This is definitely what is fun about these cars, especially the 308. You own an Icon, not just a car. So, you are somewhat responsible to both IMHO.

Besides, ya gotta admit...its a kick!

-Rjay

10. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    People look at my 328 and think it's new, $200K+ and 200+mph. The look is timeless and may I say gorgeous, magnitudes better than a 330 2+2 which costs $50K more (can you believe it! Sorry 330 guys...).

When asked what I paid for it, with a humble voice I simply say "toooooo much" and smile. They nod their heads and respond with "yea, that's what I thought".

11. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I get this all the time on my Ducatis - "A Do-what?!" Must be an Italian machine thing! Relatively few people seem to know about them - just the way I like it!

12. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"

"A brand new one is $250-$300K; this one is used so it's a lot less"

Why spoil the magic?

13. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    QUOTE=islandguy;137421956]

When asked what I paid for it, with a humble voice I simply say "toooooo much" and smile. They nod their heads and respond with "yea, that's what I thought".[/QUOTE]

Best answer yet, I'll have to remember it!

14. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Last fall while getting gas, someone walked up to the car, looked it over and said "You must be rich". My response was " I would be if I didn't own this car".

15. fastjon

fastjon Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I have taken my 328 to get McChicken meals and once a teenager made the comment, he got the value just right ($75k), but at the top of the mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel) I overheard the valet tell the door man that I just pulled up in that $300k ferrari. Go figure, I mean I did just wash her at Shell (extra rinse and foam $6.95). ;)

16. carguywalt

carguywalt Rookie

Jan 24, 2006
    New Berlin WI.
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I went through the taco bell drive through in my 328. The kid at the window wanted me to adopt him. No thanks. He was ready to walk away from his job if I would give him a ride. Don't think so. I also answer the how much question with "too much". Usually ends the conversation.

17. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

Couple of quotes that are the best I have heard. RJay is #2, and the best that is coincidental....we are all custodians of these vehicles, it is our obligation to care for, to propagate the legend, and to leave the vehicle a little better for the next custodian than it was left for us.

I agree Rjay. There is a large amount of "goodwill" that comes with owning these cars. That means we don't own 0-60's, or kickin' 05' subaru ass, we own legends, and that comes with a premium that is not comparable to an '08 civic. I agree that the "mythos" is greater than the ayre. And also keep in mind that anything that comes in quantities less than 100,000 is craftsmanship and not industry these days

We are all responsible to the icon, and to a vision we own, but did not create.

18. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Its always funny when they tell me "your rings are f*cked!" or "put some oil in it!" when they hear the dry clutch! :D Man thats classic, I got tired of explaining and just smile!

19. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I like to take mine to K-Mart or Wal-Marts and buy a case of oil. I can't go to Starbuck's because I have no cup holder. HAHAHA

20. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    ....Especially with a fully vented cover as on my ST4! More times than I can count Harley guys have contorted their faces as I pull in to a lot, "hey man something's wrong with your bike'" Like you, I just smile and say thanks.

21. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I mentioned this the other day here somewhere, but most of my gas station conversations revolve around how fast it is, not the price. They stand there looking thoughtful, then raise their eyebrows and say, "180 ?" When I say "Oh, probably not, besides these tires are only rated for 149" I sometimes get a , "Yeah right that thing probably flies!" As if I'm the master of understating.

Of course that doesn't hurt the mystique of seeing one of these cars on the road!

22. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I had a Dad and Son come up to me while filling up this past summer. Dad said, "Wow, that must have set you back what.....6 figures???" I just smiled and said, "Nope, bought it for less than the Tahoe you're filling up." He walked around the car twice muttering "you gotta be kidding...." :)

My Wife was real annoyed last May when I brought the girls to her work for dinner. (she works evenings) One of her co-workers saw the car and the next day everyone wanted to know why/how her Husband had a $100,000 Ferrari? She thought the explaining/comments were going to go on forever and bug her, but it blew over with that. :)

JIM

23. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I love taking mine to the "we're too cool for Starbucks" coffee shop. People there think their above gawking over a car and wouldn't dare say anything to me or even stare at it. I love going there so i can sip a cup of joe and stare at my car with no comments from others. I know their thinking i'm there to show off or to be seen but in reality i go there to be left alone with my car.

24. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    This reminds me of the people who would look at the speedometer in my dad's old '61 Corvette and exclaim "wow, this will go 200mph!?!"

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

25. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You beat me to the punch lol!