My 308 Driven on Top Gear America by the Stig | FerrariChat

My 308 Driven on Top Gear America by the Stig

Discussion in '308/328' started by hanknum, Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey All,

Been a long time since I've posted here. But, back in May I was asked if the Top Gear show could use my 308 GTS in the season finale of Top Gear America. I jumped at the chance to have it in the show and be driven by the Stig.

It was a feature comparing Eric's (308Hutch) 1978 308 GTS EV Conversion (another thread) to my '78 GTS. It was eye opening how the EV did compared to my 308. But, I'm very proud of how my almost 40 year old composed itself. I spoke to the Stig and he had nice things to say (write...he doesn't talk) about my car. BTW, I drove it out and back to the Vegas track w/o a hiccup even after the Stig thrashed on it. AND, it has about 115k miles.

Here are a couple links to the video...

Top Gear America website:
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/top-gear-america/video-extras/season-1/episode-08-time-capsule/ferraris-go-head-to-head

Youtube:

BTW, if anyone is interested, I am currently taking offers on my car...

2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Seems remarkable that the EV with likely more weight can out-brake and out-corner a stock 308?

3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    that was amazing

and what a nice thing to have that kind of publicity

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But what's the range on the EV?

5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I think I read up to 100 miles

6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Technology may be 30+ years old but what a beautiful and iconic vehicle.

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Have you followed Hutch's build thread? The EV 308 is not running stock 308 brakes and suspension... so, not so remarkable.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's great! :D

jdamon likes this.
  9. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Cool! Thanks for sharing this.

10. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    but at full speed the batteries will be empty after a few laps, so a race of multiple laps will result in.................................despite the super brakes and all the modern tuning. But the electric car does not make so much noice and that is what we do........like:)

11. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    The battery's capacity isn't the limiting factor. Modern EVs have plenty of capacity, problem here is they're not designed for this use case. Most often the car is limited by the motor's heat capacity; after several laps, the motor gets too hot and the power limiting circuitry must kick in.

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    My comment was that the presenters give the impression the performance gain is just by the EV conversion which is not credible.

13. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hutch's EV is actually within 100# of a stock 308 GTS. AND, I think they underestimated the power...think he is closer to 400hp & I'm sure the torque is more like double what I have. He is also running 360 brakes...definitely more clamping and brake torque. Eric and his team have actually done an amazing job on the car.

Not positive, but I think Eric said that he can get upwards of 150 miles on the latest battery pack that they have installed.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I was a cool experience. We all had a great time there.

14. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Cool! Thanks for posting.

15. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Great video. Amazed that the writers reference Miami Vice instead of Magnum PI on a 308 show. They were probably in diapers at the time and didn't bother to do the research.

16. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was very happy they didn't. I'm sure they knew the connection very well indeed. They just chose not to. It's a cliche that blights the model and is repeated ad nauseum in every article written about the 308. Good and refreshing scriptwriting imo.

dflett and thorn like this.
  17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Paul, I'm guessing you don't sport a moustache :) I'm nostalgically fond of Magnum PI so don't mind the reference. I thought the 308 was already popular in the 70's?

18. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That show started post-carb era, I think. By then, I was too busy chasing girls & listening to music to bother with much tv. Wind back a decade and tv nostalgia would hit me better. Charlie's Angels, Kojak, Hawaii 5-0, you get the idea. I didn't even take any notice of Miami Vice :)

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  20. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Thanks everyone.

I'm actually looking for a trade on the 308. I'd like to get an ALFA Romeo 4C. Please let me know if you know of anyone who might be interested.