My 308 "GTO look" project | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 308 "GTO look" project

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bert308, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Bert,

great job, well, well done - RESPECT!!!
    Hope to CU and your beauty next year on one off our meetings in Germany.

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

2. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Bert,

In the spirit of healthy debate I'll contend that you're bringing shame upon a great marque. This sort of thing should not be allowed, and Luca di Montezemolo should drive over your car in a steamroller.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Bert,pay no mind to that guy. There's ALWAYS one that has nothing better to do,than to be the "Turd in the punchbowl". I don't know why these guys don't know how to start their OWN thread! Your car looks AWESOME,Dude! Keep up the good work. Have you been documenting this on Photo or Video? That always goes quite well when you are Showing your car,at least,here in the U.S.,anyway! The ULTIMATE form of Compliment is a Copy. Whether it be a car,a song,a House,a motorcycle,(look at how all of the Japanese Motorcycle Mfg.companies have "Copied" Harley's!) Car manufacturers are CONSTANTLY putting out "New" cars that have HEAVY Ferrari "Nuances". Or,whatever. I was JUST in a "Discussion,Debate?" with a guy here that was moaning about Replica's, Reproductions,Copies,what have you. He has the Right to not like them,just as WE have the Right TO like them. But,he was calling people that LIKE,Make,own,etc...Replica's as a disgrace to Ferrari. That we are Sellouts. That anyone with a Replica just wants to try to be someything that they're not. And all sorts of other B.S. He can say that he doesn't like Replica's. But,don't start calling people that do,all sorts of B.S. So,good for you! And,once again,keep up the good work!

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Bert -
    looks terrific and represents a lot of planning and effort.
    Great job!
    best
    rt

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bert, this is really cool... i can't wait to see it when it's finished... After this, you have to do the same thing to a 1:18 model... That'd be a cool model to have... Maybe even give Forza a call and see if they'll do an article on the car... it would definitely be an interesting read...

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I have 2 1:8 Barbie Ferrari 328GTS, a nice red one, with Barbie in red racing suit in it, and an ugly white one. I'll turn the white one in a copy of my 1:1, including targa roof and the normal 308 wheelbase. That's the plan but trouble is I have more plans than time.

CASTEX: "you're bringing shame upon a great marque. This sort of thing should not be allowed"
    RED81308, I don't think CASTEX was that serious, I think the expression "tongue in cheek" is appropiate here. If not, well he is right of course and I too have thought about this, even in the final seconds with the running angle grinder in my hands before making the first irreversable cut.
    It is good to see I get thumbs up from mr. PSK, from whom I remember some serious anger in the old Fchat towards people who cut up an old 250GTE to make a GTO. I suppose a discussion could be started about plenty big bumpered rusty US 308GTSi's around versus in 30 years there will be no nice US 308GTSi's left. I obviously made my decision already. I'm trying to make a tasteful car and the 308 badge will stay on it.

As for the interior, no real plans yet. The tan won't look that good in the finished car though. I really like the interior from the yellow aluminium 328 that is discussed on Fchat before, with the daytona seats. It is on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2443740625&category=6212
    Red carpet, black floormats with a red horse, doorcovers black with red piping and then daytona seat covers, that would be awesome and I wouldn't mind paying an upholsterer to do that for me. In fact now would be a good time to remove the seats and carpeting and find an upholsterer, but I want to wait first how the car finally will turn out. If it looks real good eventually I wouldn't mind spending the money for interior, all new rear lights and other bits to finish it off perfect.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting intertior shot you posted there. For a moment I was puzzled about the red center console. Then I followed the link to the 328.

I think there was never such a GTO. I think the only red part (if not all black) was the red stripes on the Daytona style seats and a red bar on the left and right side of the dash. Nothing else.

But I have to admit it does look nice. I'm playing with the thought of having my tan interior changed to black and red without replacing the carpets or the leater, just by dying it. Not sure whether that is doable.

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I thought about dying the seats to, inner cushion red, sidewall from the cushion black. Careful masking would be needed. Maybe someone has done it before, never saw pictures here from a complete color change in the leather.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, the seats are easy: That's actually what got me started. Mine need new hides and you can just buy the Daytona hides for the 308, no problem there.

Also somebody on the old forum mentioned to have dyed the carpets with the carpets left in the car. So there is hope.

What I'm most concerned about is the center console. Dying that leather around all those many switches has to be a major pain.

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sounds awesome... Keep us posted on that, too... :)

11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Really? Ready made Daytona seat covers, where can I get those?

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I remember Ferrari of Atlanta years ago had REAL GTO mirrors in stock that they were liquidating... Over a $1000 each... Ouch!

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bert, I just checked, but they don't offer that anymore. So I'm contacting the manufacturer. I'll let you know what they have to say.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bert,

Heh in the end it is your car :), and I still have the same opinion about replica makers on REAL Ferraris ... er, as you have, BUT your car is a lot younger and more plentyful than a 40+ year old Classic Ferrari.

Like I think I have said before, anybody can do what they like with a young Ferrari as there are heaps of them around, but as they get older and rarer they should be treated with more respect ... IMO.

You are right though, in 20 years this sort of discussion will probably occur around 308s too.

Pete

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Not really "heaps" of 308's,really. Ever check out www.wreckedexotics.com ? They are CONSTANTLY posting new pictures of wrecked ones,burned ones, Rock Stars totalling them out. Doped up rich kids wrecking them. And,dont forget the rust buckets,and just plain abused and worn out ones. Every Year,for the past 20 plus years.We are losing some . The numbers are dwindling...albeit slowly,but,none the less,dwindling. And,if you think about it,and check the numbers,there REALLY aren't all that many to begin with. In Ferrari numbers,Yes. But,in car numbers,No. How many do you think that are left? That would be a good thing to try to find out. Half? Three Quarters?

16. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Turd in a punchbowl...LOL! Your parties must be a riot, Mr. red81308.

Bert, thanks for being a good sport:)
    The key for me is keeping the car's original badge. You won't be trying to pretend that the car is something it's not, so more power to your elbow. I know of someone who's bought a wide 308 with a GTO badge; and all joking aside, that's wrong, wrong, wrong.

I suggest that to go with the curvy flanks on both your 1:1 and 1:18 308s, you give Barbie a boob job.

17. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Bert, I too have been following this project. You are doing an awesome job - I am totally impressed. The wheels look pretty close, but have your thought abt sourcing the actual GTO wheels? Your gorgeous body craftsmanship warrants the expense to get the authentic wheels IMHO.

Thumbs up!

Greg

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Castex,I'm glad that you got a kick out of that. :) I got it from Jesse James DuPree,from the Hard Rock Band,"Jackyl". Bon?

19. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    HO! HO! body craftmanship: I'm just trying, if it's not good I do it again, that's why it's taken so long already and eventually there will be nice shiny paint on it but underneath, hmm, let's just say I didn't publish all the pictures I took.
    The wheels are 17 inch compomotive, actually the wheels I had before, MOMO R3, looked much more like GTO wheels, 16 inch and a polished stainless steel disc in the middle. Off course they were narrower, 7 and 8 inch. Sold those today for 550 Euro, together with the US bumpers for 300 Euro, which is a good price because there is really no market in Europe for big heavy US bumpers. The guy I sold them to was a used Porsche trader and had a warehouse full of Porsches and Porsche parts, but also a slightly damaged Testarossa for 27500 Euro, 2 308's starting 20000 and...2 328 engines! One block+heads separete, covered in protective wax and looking like new, comment from the guy: "You can put carburators on this one and it will howl!". And a complete engine, gearbox, injection, ignition, 40000 km's and "just serviced at Auto Becker". Thought he would need to get 4500 Euro for that one. Interesting day.

my car with a 308 badge: Nice looking 308, well done!
    my car with a GTO badge: Bad GTO replica, boowooh!

20. Ferrari_nr1

Ferrari_nr1 Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Belgium
    I really would like to see your 308. Perhaps at the Spa Ferrari Days in 2004?

If I had a 308 GTB I would build it like the prototype for the 288 GTO. I can't find a picture at the moment...

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have to agree with you about the lights,Andreas. (no offense to anyone). They look like something that I had on an old '73 Chevy "Custom" Van that I had back in the early 80's! LOL!

22. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    If the car is ready AND presentable :) I will visit as many events as possible, including Spa Ferrari Days. This is the "Millechiodi" (thousand rivets):

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting. Never saw this one before. Not sure I would do that to my car though. Those front lights are ugly (well IMHO) and the bulging rear fenders without the holes?

I do like the rear spoiler and the mirrors.

24. riconijhof

riconijhof Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rico Nijhof
    Bert,
    Your project is coming out very nice! Good work!
    I think I'll see you at some meetings of FCN next year then.
    Can't wait to see it in real live

Rico

25. Ferrari_nr1

Ferrari_nr1 Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Belgium
    This is the car I was talking about. I would paint it red, rivets included. That would be sooo nice (my opinion).