My 308 "GTO look" project | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My 308 "GTO look" project

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bert308, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    How do I keep forgetting things? I also have measurements off the original GTO decklid in case you need them. Lots of measurments of the distances between the louvered areas, from the edge of the decklid to the louvers, etc... it's amazing how many measurments need to be taken to get the correct spacing of everything back there. (decklid)

2. g60racer

g60racer Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brendan Prout
    Beautiful work so far. Anything new in the past several months?

3. Obidos

Obidos Rookie

Mar 13, 2004

4. Ferrari_nr1

Ferrari_nr1 Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Belgium
  5. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I saw this 308GTB QV 1984 chassis no 49499 US model for sale with 6820 miles, any relation?

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't insult Bert, his has self made metal panels, this one uses the kit conversion. Looks a lot like the one Cavallinomotors (FChatter) bought off ebay about a year ago. Note the 328 engine, but the car is a 308 I believe. Beautiful.

7. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Were is it for sale now? I saw it for sale 1 year ago, by cavallino motors, a regular poster here (MARTIN something). He bought the car from ebay and then immediately sold it afterwards. With this car they tried everything to make it look like a GTO. But look at the first picture you posted, it is a cartoon car, a joke. That is my opinion. I only hope my car will turn out better, oke, looking less like a GTO which is no problem with me, but looking more like a real car, a real Ferrari, and looking like a good looking Ferrari.

I see some more people replied to this thread, everything I do is updated on my homepage www.ferrari308.tk , I admit progress is slow lately, mostly mechanical service work, rust protection and inner panel adaptation.
    I had cheap fender badges from ebay, fired glass cloissonne like the real ones but slightly to bright yellow, and a not exact horse and it bothered be so much that I bought real ones recently at the Techno Classica in Essen, Germany. I brought one of the badges I had to compare and in a straight comparision the real badges looked so much better that I bought those, after some negotiation for 350 Euro including a new nose badge. Old badges are for sale, including nose badge. Mail or PM for highres pics and make an offer or they will go on ebay someday.

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    We were typing a reply at the same time, only i took longer :)

Another member here had a GTO-308 for sale, picture here included. And there is a conversion at ebay right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=2473560708&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    (in the pictures the ebay car is the one with the original narrowest wheels)

All I want to say is, a car looking like one of the most beautiful Ferraris, the 288 GTO, doesn't have to be a good looking car...

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bert,

Just had a look at your site. All the details take ages don't they, but you are getting there.

Just have to say:

Please buy some proper jack stands mate!

They do not cost much and many blokes have been killed atleast in NZ working on cars propped up on bricks ... they move and the car falls down ON YOU.

Also remember a brick is not designed for high impact or point load, it is designed for a spread load ... very dangerous.

I would lend you mine if you were in Australia ...

Pete

10. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    No insult intended, i just thought you would be interested in a similar car, and yes it is a 328 engine.

11. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Bert i agree its not the best ive seen but i bet the owner loves it, apparently it is for sale on the 308 registry.

12. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    This is what I meant with my harsh comment, the first is the car we discussed, it has the "funny car" dragster look, second is mine, certainly not perfect but looks promising, third is a real one.

13. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Comparing the top one and youres i see what you mean, youres does look 10 times better, at least people can see how and how not to do something similar. all the best.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    VERY interesting comparison shots. The upward angled rear of the car for sale is strange and puzzled me a year ago. I still wonder why that is?

Did they screw up the conversion or do all kits look like that? Obviously that car is missing 4 inches, but that would not create that same effect.

It is hard to tell how the one from ebay looks as they didn't show a straight view. However that one is a bit goolish: Look at the interior and the engine and read the description. It doesn't run. Yikes. And why anybody would change the body but not put on wider tires or spacers is beyond me.

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    With great interest I followed your project. Recently any progress ??
    Please dont ingnore the negative reply's in http://forum.fok.nl/topic/563729.
    You are doing a hell of a job...
    There are people who only talk, other DO things...
    Guido

16. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo

tnx for that pic...very nice to see the differences between those cars. And yours comes indeed very close to a real one! :) Nice job!!

17. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I have my holidays now, 4 weeks total. Past week I only did sanding, sanding, sanding. Have RSI now, sort off. All these little things take so much time like the louvres, round the rearlights, rear deck were the spoiler arises, takes so much time to get it right. I hope I can finish rough sanding this week, then spray on a coat of polyester filler, sand that smooth and then coats of filler/surfacer. But it will take the full holidays, as I have to take the doors, lids, spoiler and roof panel off to spray all seperately. I will post pics on my website www.ferrari308.tk but now there just isn't any progress visible if I took pictures now.
    I'll post here if there is a major progress like the car in glossy red paint! Dreaming of that...

18. FNU_LNU

FNU_LNU Karting

May 22, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    AM
    http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=171244&sessionkey={CBBF23F5-BF28-46A6-B843-88F8CFB9F916}

19. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    @Bert:

How's the 308GTO project going??????

20. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    Sorry if this was said in another post before but there is a company in Arizona that sells the whole gto body kit which is in carbon fiber i belive.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's actually fibre glass, but anway. Bert doesn't like to hear about that as his car is hand made of metal, which is a though road to choose.

22. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Slow! You of all people on this board must know it is "Vasteloavend" or Carnaval time around here, what is more important, finishing a Ferrari or drinking lots of beers for a whole week and having no money left by the end of the month to buy much needed car parts? I updated my site this week with some comments on the progress: www.ferrari308.tk

They offer a carbonfiber front GTO spoiler.
    I knew about Hooper offering the fiber parts before I started, but I couldn't justify spending the 8.000 for the parts + thousands for shipping to Europe on a 25000 car. I wasn't planning the GTO fenders before I started but got the idea along the way when the new wheels were wider than ordered and while the fenders looked awful anyway with the filler and lead removed. It didn't look too difficult when I began the works! In fact it isn't very difficult, just a lot of work that I have to do in my spare time. Along the way I decided to make it a sport to do everything low budget, sort of a way to beat the system and being the working guy with a poor mans GTO. I do have some savings and could buy the panels, the mirrors, the bumpers and I could pay a professional to paint it properly but it is fun do everything myself and even being able to say, I painted my own Ferrari out in the open air in front of the house and it was the first time ever I painted a whole car. Well, it shows I painted it myself but not at first glance. If I had used the ready made body parts and professional painting I'd spent the same amount on the car as I originally bought it for making the car worth maybe 20% more and I hate to waste/loose money on a car.
    If there is a major update on my project like a finished looking shiny car pictured outside in the sun, I'll post it here!

23. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    True for the correct look/feel but won't it weight ALOT more??

24. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    Nice job, Bert. I was also considering doing this a while back when I had an engine compartment fire and doing a rebuild. Yeah, I looked at Butch's kit and it looked pretty simple, but $8k was more than I wanted to shell out when I didn't know home much my project was going to set me back. Anyways, great car!!!! Nice work!!!!

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Bert
    Wonderful craftsmanship. The enthusiastic passion is quite evident.
    Good luck, and looking forward to updates!
    best