My 308 "GTO look" project | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My 308 "GTO look" project

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bert308, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Well, 5-10 cm extra width in the fenders doesn't really add weight compared to he standard steel fenders. And a fender isn't really that heavy, even if the fiber fenders are 50% lighter, the total weight saving would only be about 10-20 kg (20-40 pounds), not substantial. Also I still have the original steel rear taillight panel, firmly attached to the chassis and the rear fenders: no vibrations or movements and that's got to be worth a few extra kilos. It is true that I had to use more bodyfiller than I hoped for (in fact I used about 5 times as much as now is left on the car) but that extra weight is also not substantial compared to the weight of the car.
    In fact the car is much lighter now than before because I replaced the extremely heavy US bumpers with thin steel sheet bumpers and I removed the second trunk floor with the extra US crap there. Also I removed the steel side protection beams in the doors, it is good to have lighter doors, less sagging and stress on the hinges. Finally I removed the airco since it didn't function when I bought the car and I never bothered to have someone look it over.
    However the plan is maybe next year or so, to make a mould from the rear hatch and try to replicate it in fiber because it is very heavy to lift right now and I could make it look more like a GTO hatch. Also I could sell the original hatch with the spoiler removed for good money. If that goes well I also could make a poly front spoiler and maybe even copy the whole car and sell parts, or building for fun a GTO on a beetle chassis or build up a crashed 328, who knows? But first I want to drive THIS thing for at least a year!
    Same for you, I followed your 3.2 carburator project with great interest. In fact I know of a good 3.2 engine local here so maybe in the future i will have to ask you for the final jetting and settings on your engine, when you did the hard work sorting it all out!

2. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    I for one would love to see you make body panels of your car available. Looks fantastic for a non stretch gto. Keeping my fingers crossed!! LOL

Bill

3. Ferrari_nr1

Ferrari_nr1 Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Belgium
    Hey Bert,

Are you going to the Spa Ferrari Days this year? I really want to see your car! Just work hard to get it ready!