My 328 going to Continental on Tuesday... | FerrariChat

My 328 going to Continental on Tuesday...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Tod328gts, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, the time has come, Tuesday my baby is going to Continental to have it's Major Service done. They said it will probably take about 6 working days. When they first get it, they will do a complete inspection on the vehicle, just in case there is something else that needs attention, GULP.... I will make a few trips over there and get some pictures of the progress of the service. So far, they have been very helpful there, they are going to come to my house with an enclosed trailer to pick my baby up too, and when completed, bring it back to my house... I should have asked if the trailer was heated... Haha... :)

I also have my TUBI on order too, hopefully i will get it soon, no word yet. From what i have heard, Tubi only makes them to order for each model, so, it could be two weeks or it could be eight weeks, no body knows... Lets hope i get it before the weather starts getting nice.. I'm also wondering if i should do a sound comparison before i change it?? A before video and an after video????

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Heated...AND Carpeted!!! :)

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Ok, Just got a call from Continental, they have to take a car to the Auto show tomorrow morning, so i had them change my pick up day to Wednesday morning instead. That will give me time to shovel my driveway and the street before they arrive. Especially after all this snow we are expecting to get tonight....

I may pull my hose out and wash the driveway and the street in front of my house to get that ton of salt residue out of there..

HAH! Do i sound anal or what???? I know, Andreas would just drive in it... ;)

4. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I think hosing the driveway down is a great idea; not only would it get rid of the salt but it would speed up the loading process- that car would just slide right on to the carrier.

5. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Unfortunately they'll probably leave it out back if they're not working on it at the moment. :(

Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking of where to bring my 308 for the 60k...

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well I don't want to be too cavalier about this either. Rust is a serious problem. But I wonder whether we're not all giving in to an urban myth:

Does dried salt on a dried road really affect your car? Yes it might get thrown up into the air when you drive over it, but is that really meaningful in the scheme of things?

I mean my car parks year round in a heated garage. In the summer there is lots of humidity hanging in the air, especially when some neighbour washes his car in the already saturated garage air. I always think that is probably just as bad.

I don't want to drive on wet streets with salt. My thinking is, that because of the wet snow/dirt mix it will stick to the underbody and create rust. But dried salt on dry streets, I don't see too much there. Am I wrong?

Aside from that we're talking here cars from eighties after Fiat has introduced rust prevention to Ferrari for over ten years already. Also I'm always thinking, that the real risks I'm taking with my car are more in a crash. Touch wood.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I worry about what Don said about leaving it out back until they are ready to work on it....Just like at the Old LFSC. As far as the dried salt (powder) goes. Growing up in the Chicago area pretty much my whole life, (Lived in SoCal when I was very small for a few years. Don't remember it) Anyway,I've seen the end results of Road Salt ridden cars. Sure,cars nowadays have some Rust prevention materials on the metal. Or,a zinc oxide coating,or whatever. But,doubt that our early 80's cars do. And,if all of that Salt powder gets worked up in there,and you get it wet...:(...I saw on one of the Automobile Shows that airs on SpeedChannel,(Two Guys Garage) some kind of Electrical Device,that hooks up to your battery,or,to an available circuit. Almost like a small 'Trickle Charger'. And,you attach some pads to the insides of the fenders at,I believe,2 locations in the cars body. And,there's some kind of Low Voltage Electronic Rust prevention for the entire car. I forgot what it was called. But,supposedly works great for preventing rust on steel cars. Not sure about the Frame,though. Would need to research it abit more. But,It looked good on paper,as they say. Does anyone else know of this thingamajig? If I had one of those on my car. Would maybe be a little less paranoid about (Dry) roadsalt...But,I still wouldn't drive on it wet.

8. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, i was assured the car would stay inside, but thanks for bringing that back up, i will for sure question them about it. That is why i will be making periodic stop overs to the dealer when they have my car. If anyone else is going by there, check also, you can't miss it, a black 328..

As for washing the driveway down, i am assuming wednesday morning, there will be wet slushy salty snow all over the place, so making wet salty snow wetter, won't matter, but it will dillute the salt content... Maybe i can get the guy to back the trailer up to my garage??? We'll see, i am planning on taking a lot of picture through this whole process and then i will post them and keep everyone informed... Lets hope for the best here... :)

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,it may be too hard to tell which car is which,if there's a couple inches of Snow on them all......KIDDING!!!!!! :) No,don't worry about it...Just give us all a call. We can all shoot over and carefully pick it up and gently place it in the trailer so that it doesn't even touch the Snow. Nope....wait a minute....no heavy lifting with my Bad Back...sorry!!!.....(I'm just kidding!!!!! I'm sure that it will be fine!!! I don't want to be responsible if you cant sleep for those nights that your Baby is away!!!!)

10. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I'm suprised that the Tubi is not ex-stock Holland Mi, unless it's backordered from Italy. You might give Franko Yarde a call at 616-396-1979. See if he can expedite the order. Mine took only a few days via UPS to get here from Mi.
    Dave

11. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well Dave, I placed my Tubi order with HG Parts in Germany. From shopping around, everyone was vertually about the same price. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Heiko from HG Parts, Very nice guy. I had the $$ wired to him, he needed it before he placed the order with Tubi, Italy. I also talked with a dealer down in Florida too, he told me the same thing and he had the same price too. Tubi's are not a stock item, they are build to order and only when enough orders come in will they build then....

So, no hurry to get it now, it's still snowy out there... :)

Thanks Frank, now i'm going to have nightmares every night my baby is away from home... :(

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I started the HG Parts deal when I bought s/f shields from him off ebay. I introduced him to FChat and he became a sponsor of the site. HG Parts has great prices. Actually 'normal' prices. It's just that in the US these Ferrari related parts are priced up for no good reason other than the supply market is less competitive than in Europe.

The S/F shields on my car are original, but at a fraction of what they would cost here.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sorry,Tod!!:) I feel the same way about my 'Baby'. I think we all do,really. If I ever have to drop my car off for service. I'm going to buy one of those 'Carcoons' and insist that it be placed in there at all times if it's ever going to be outside...:) (Kidding!!! Ofcourse!!!)

14. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    The trailer guy is really good. No worries.

15. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Well, my baby got picked up this morning... :(

Pete (The Trailer Guy) was real nice and took good care in loading my baby. He commented on how nice it looked and what good condition it was in...

I asked him about it sitting outside at all, he said if they have to move cars around in the service department, it may sit outside for a little bit, but every night for sure it will be inside...

The reason he couldn't get my car yesterday is because he had to take that blue 612 to the auto show. He said it's a nice car. He also said Ferrari isn't allowing it to be driven, it's a show car..... They don't want any miles on it... I guess i'll have to go to the auto show now and check it out, wonder if i can get any passes from Continantal to see it ??? Hmmmm??? I'll have to ask them when i go and check on my baby... :)

Here are some pictures of my baby leaving home this morning :

16. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Another picture :

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,you'll be happy that you'll have a "Fresh" car,when it's done. My car had a service just over 3 years,4500 miles ago. So,it won't need it for a couple more years,anyway. But,I do want to get her in for an inspection. Check that everythings nice and tight. Check all of the hoses,lines,(especially all fuel lines),etc...And fresh fliuds all around. That should be good for this year.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice and easy ramp. Glad Continental didn't come with their racing truck: Even seen how they have to catch the car on the clutch to get it from the 2nd 'story' platform down to the ground? Scary.

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Tod,

Just wanted to say your car is gorgeous. I used to live in Chicago. Where is your profile shot taken from? Somewhere on LSD North?

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #20 FerrariFrank1, Feb 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can answer that for Tod,since I was with on that drive. We had 2 Red 308's. 2 Red 328's. And,Tod's Black 328 out cruising up and down LSD that day. We were taking Pix at all sorts of spots,ending up North at Montrose Harbor. But,That particular shot is from by the Adler Planetarium. It's the little drive that jots East from where the Shedd Aquarium,Soldier Field,And,The Field Museum are at.(Now called The Museum Campus). So,that's South,at about Roosevelt Rd. Here's the whole shot,if that helps. The low building that is directly behind us,more to the left,with the white window frames,is the Shedd Aquariums "Oceanarium". Built back in about 1990.(added onto the original Shedd building.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #21 FerrariFrank1, Feb 4, 2004
  22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #22 FerrariFrank1, Feb 4, 2004
  23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #23 FerrariFrank1, Feb 4, 2004
    Also,the very start (or end. Depends on which way you're going,I guess! :) ) of Infamous Route 66...Right here in Downtown Chicago (Jackson and Michigan Av.) all the way out to L.A. (I believe that the sign that says; "Begin Route 66" is just around the corner,though) And,someday,yes,someday...I'm doing it in my Ferrari!!!!! Taking my time. Packing up about 100CD's,and on my way!!!:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Thanks Ghost for the compliment and thanks Frank for posting those pics and answering that. That is probably the best times in the Ferrari, when we all get together and do the group thing and do those drives. I think 5 to a maximum of 10 is the best, if you get anymore than that then staying together gets to be difficult.

Hey, had an ideal, if we do get more than 10 of us together, i have a friend that is a funeral director and has a hurst. hee hee we will just have to put little flags on our Ferraris that say Funeral and drive with our headlights on.... Do you think this will work when we get up to 120 mph + ????? hahaha....

RE: 328 Status: No word yet from the dealer, i think i should hear something tomorrow morning. They were going to inspect the entire car first and then call me. I guess in case they find more stuff that needs looking at in addition to the Major Service.....

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I can see it:

The six feet under drive. As a promotion stunt for the season's premiere of the HBO series. At the rear end of the 'procession' we'll have Dragula's car.
    :)