My 348 restoration | Page 11 | FerrariChat

My 348 restoration

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jqpd99, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    I didn't unplug it until I got home just in case there were some kind of related issue. Once parked in the garage, I just unplugged it and fired up the engine... no warning indicators or anything. It was pretty late so I didn't go anywhere... I don't expect any issues though.

DF

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Oh man.... well done.... I've already called two guys....they're bringing their cars over ....!

:D

Mike in Kuwait

3. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    #253 jqpd99, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I took the car out at the end of May, I could smell fuel when I filled the tank up near the top and so I inspected the fill tube and I was surprised to see it had wiggled its way free from the clamp. I also noticed that it was quite flimsy and could have been made 2 inches longer to really overlap both the gas tank and the filler neck completely. I went and got two inch hose from a local shop and it fit nicely and is much more durable than the original tube.

DF
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    #254 jqpd99, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That wasn't the end however of my fuel smell problems... I still a faint smell of fuel whenever the tank was near full and it would get worse whenever I took a sharp right turn...

I knew I was taking the 348 to the track on the 19th so I had to solve this problem before then. Tonight I decided to try a different approach (visual inspection was getting me nowhere)... I wanted to put air pressure into the tank so I bought a cheap inner tube for snowblower tires, cut it up and clamped it around the filler opening... I then applied a little air pressure and immediately found my problem... it ended up being the three gas tank vents (2 on the tank and one on the filler neck)... I simply cut the plastic ends off and replaced with fuel hose and 2 clamps. No more fuel smell...

Woo-Hoo!

DF

5. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    I had the same problem with my 308 last year. The smell, and in my case, fuel would leak out of the top of the tank when full and only on the right side. The vents both had a small crack and was allowing fuel to leak out. I brought it to my trusty mechanic (Alex over at Daytona) and he found the problem in 2 minutes and quickly clamped the vents with 2 pieces of fuel hose and away I went. No more fuel smell this year and a safer driving experience. Seems to be a popular problem and very hard to see find if you are not aware of the issues because the vent hoses are so small and the cracks are hard to see. Check your vents everybody for small cracks. An ounce of prevention.....

6. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    You better fix it before June 19 for I look forward to meeting you at Calabogie to see your wonderful restoration works on your 348 :)

7. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    And me, a ride in your 430 on the track... :)

I'll be there... having the alignment done tomorrow morning and then tuning the MAFs in the afternoon for the proper AFR... should be in top shape for the 19th.

DF

8. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Sure - look forward to seeing you on the C. Track. :)

9. Magnum6464

Magnum6464 Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Quebexico, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Wow, what a fantastic job. You sure went all out...

I saw this car for sale and was almost thinking of buying it. The price if I remember was 34K, and when I went to see it, I found it to have too much to do on it and since I had a one year old daughter, I wasn't interested in spending that much time in fixing it, because my time was very limited. If I remember it had a dent in the top rear right panel. The owner also had a Diablo in the garage with a blown engine, something about a timming belt letting go.

You did a job I can only say is amazing

~

Mario