My 348 restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 348 restoration

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jqpd99, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Yeah actually it was running really well... fired right up... and I didn't have the hot start or "getting into second gear when cold" issues that seem to be common on 348s. It did have tons of ground issues though... which I will take care of.

JQP

2. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    I have absolutely zero history on this car... the only reason I know it came from Kuwait is that I found a Kuwaity Dinar under the seat and a printed email from the importer (but not the actual import papers)... my theory is that it was imported to the US and when they realized it was too costly to modify to meet US emissions standards, they shipped it up to Canada...

There isn't any sign of being in an accident (i.e. bent and repaired sheetmetal) BUT the rear bonnet and rear bumper are from a yellow 348 so it could have been in a fender bender. If you look at post number 2, you can actually see the rear pretty well and there are no signs of repairs... although I am no expert.

JQP

3. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    But it's true, some of the more "rattly" leaky cars with high KM are usually the best running cars! I have seen this a few times.

If it were me....I'd sooo turn this into a comp. car! :D

4. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Agreed, my car has a ton of kms on it. runs perfectly fine, other then a dead battery, not one problem in 1.5 years of owning it.

5. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    This looks like the car that was for sale in the Windsor area. The seller also had a grey Lambo also imported from the Middle East.

6. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    BTW, you're doing a fantastic job. ;)

7. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Yeah he's on this site somewhere...

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice work Dan.

While you have the gear box off, do yourself a favor. Pull off the cover for the oil pump, it's on the left hand side, the side where the speedometer sending unit is. Make sure that the ring nut is on the main shaft good and TIGHT, and that it is peened. Better yet pull off the covers for both sides of the main and lay shafts, and have a look. The reason is that the ring nuts have a tendency to come loose, and as a result the bearing cage gets destroyed because of the shaft moving around. Well then the cage bits go through the case and wreak havoc with the gears = big $$$$ to rebuild the gear box. So check those ring nuts.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That back window is DEFINITELY a custom job. Looks like someone didn't want to pony up the money for a factory rear window.

10. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    That's not a very bright thing to say Mr "Smartone". Anyone can do as they wish. Besides, this is a great project. Personally, i'd love to get my hands in there. However, it's been a while since I have tinkered with motors.

Off the top of my head I can see just a couple of parts there worth more than $5G's. If you got nothing positive to say then stay away. Not sure why you are putting down this fellow user...

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Vasco, i dont think he is putting him down....i said the same thing on the first page, actually i was alittle more blunt and said free.

This car that Dan is redoing is such a project that for the majority of the people it wouldnt be cost effective, you could easily get a 348 for 50K (all day long actually)....the work involved in this 348 unless you are a shop, could not be done by the average joe. it would be crazy....therefore, Dan, good luck with the project and keep up posted of it progress.

Dan,
    Also, you mentioned something about CF seats, i wouldnt invest the money into it, unless you plan on keeping the car for the long term to get your value out of it.......are you planning on keeping this car ? And that rear glass, that has got to be some serious change, i know on the TRs they are ridiculously priced. Are you planning on fixing it ?

Thanks for sharing.

12. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Rick, maybe it's just me but putting a price of $5G's on dude's 348 is in fact putting him down. Try buying that motor or even tranny for that....

Anyways, I understand your point. Trust me, I know what a 348 costs. But if a guy has the know-how and the facility to take on a project...so be it. He said he bought it cheap so there you go.

As I said. Make mine a competizione! ;)

13. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    I think I'd buy an Ariel Atom for the track... But I am aiming to have my car ready for June 13th for the Ottawa Ferrari Festival... the 13th is a full day at the Calabogie race track and I do plan to be there. Hope some of you from Southern Ontario and Quebec can attend.

JQP

14. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Yep, that's the one... apparently he had blown the Diablo's engine and the repair bill was 35k so he was selling the 348 to pay it off.

JQP

15. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Oh it would be more than $35K if it were blown :(

That sucks.

16. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Hey Ernie,

Yes I have already pulled the oil pump cover (based on the info you gave me in another thread) but I ran out of time so I'm not sure if those ring nuts are tight. At first glance they appear to be but I'll torque them to be sure... if there is movement, I'll pull them off and reapply some loctite and peen them properly.

JQP

17. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    No worries there Vasco... I wanted a red Ferrari and I jumped on this one knowing full well what I was getting into (after having a heart attack when I saw the prices for parts) and I really don't care if I lose a few thousand bucks when I sell it... I have to admit that without this site though, I would definitely be over my head... but thanks to this site, I am sure I'll be able to pull this off.

JQP

18. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Actually, I would think I would keep it 2 summers... I'm working my way towards a 512tr...

Not sure what you mean about fixing the rear glass... all I will do is replace the plexiglass that was there with a tempered glass version... if you mean opening it up to accept the factory glass, I don't think it's worth the expense.

JQP

19. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I agree with you 100% Vasco

20. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Im betting you would not say this to any owners face. such a high school comment

21. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Keep it the way it is this makes your car different from the rest lets face it it's not in original shape to begin with(different bumpers) and now you drive something that is unique, but replacing the pexli is a must....good luck.

22. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Let me know when you sell, Ill gladly take it form you! :D Seriously, the only way to enjoy true ownership of a car is to not let the car own you! Kudos to you my friend.

23. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    GREAT !!! SO many people get involved in these cars not really knowing the issues in some or its relative costs.....as you mentioned, you were having a heart attack when you saw prices...........majority would have had a stroke. Kudos to you for knowing where you stand and the work involved..cant wait to see your finished product, hope you get it on the road this year and enjoy her in good health.....that car couldnt find a better home and is very lucky to have you save it. As Jay mentioned, it is a very ambitions project....i wouldn't have the energy or the passion to do that, but you are truly a enthusist to take on such a project.....Good luck and i hope its better than what you imagine it to be when its done !! enjoy in good health !!

24. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Actually, 348s a plentiful, and looking at the condition its in from his pictures i doubt he would get that when selling (i maybe wrong), but the look of that would not being in much...i dont think smartones comment was to be a personal attack, i didnt read it that way...hopefully the poster didnt take it that way...i said the same thing (tongue and cheek).

Regardless, its gonna be fixed back to some of its glory if not all.

25. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Thanks for posting, and looks like you've got the space and time to put her back together right. Please keep the pics coming, and disregard the $ obsessed crowd.

great "Big Red" jacks picture!