My 348 restoration | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My 348 restoration

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jqpd99, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005
    Excellent reputation.

2. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Rick, it's very simple. Windsheilds are hit and miss when taking them out. A shop is not gonna want to be on the hook for new glass especially on an f-car.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    im still trying to get my head around this....hit or miss, if you are a skilled professional this is part of the work.

how about if he paints the interior by accident then or the shocks ? they are not on the hook either then ? how about if paint stays on the rubber black seal on the windsheild ? you mean to tell me i have to live with that piece painted ? they are not responsible to making that right then.

If the shop told me its at my own risk, what motive or benefit do they have in making sure it doesnt break....if anything, it encourages them to break it so they can get the mark up on the new glass....this doesnt make sense to me.

4. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    With glass it's different than the other examples you gave. There are guys here that can explain this better. But windsheilds are sometimes glued on extremly well and are impossible to take out with out breaking. Some are as simple as a rubber seal that will pop right off. One slight jolt or tap the wrong way and it's gone. Heck, i've even seen small rust bubbles burst after tampering and shattering a glass.

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    The problem is that most guys don't want to spend the time to remove the glass properly. It is a very slow procedure and you can't rush or it will break. If they do take the time to take it out properly the customer will usually complain about a 6 hour bill for removing the glass...in the long run it is cheaper then buying a new window and the correct way to do the job. There is always rust under the trim and pillars.

6. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Jay,

Is this something that can be seen from inside the car with the dash removed?

7. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Yes I hope to have it out by then... that's been the plan from the beginning. Maybe also in Montreal for the GP the week before if the car is ready by then.

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Possibly. If water is getting in you should see rust or damp stains on the dash or rug in the foot wheel. I would hate for you to do all this work and then have a rust bubble develop or notice a leak when you start driving. The cure would be not to drive in the rain :D but we all know sometimes you get caught out.

9. Koenig

Koenig Rookie

Sep 15, 2005
    Ottawa, ON
    Dez is a good man, has some awesome paint skills. Alot of show cars! Have you seen Tomlinson's offshore boat (apparently w/ twin heli engines!). All that to say Dez painted the boat, trailer as well as a new tractor rig. Apparently he had to 'extend' the shop to fit the trailer! Dez did some work and repainted mine several years ago. Took some time, but he's always has a cheerful outlook. Guys that work for him echo the good feelings that I saw.... Good Experience!
    best,
    Sandy

10. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    I'm going there in the morning... will try to have a look...

Been sick all week... not much progress...

DF

11. striker27

striker27 Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    andy
    I cannot believe this car came from Windsor, Ontario. I live in the town and have never ever even had the chance to see this car. Hell I did not even know about a Diablo with a blown motor. I am officially out of the loop as far as this stuff goes.

Incredible job on the car. You have some great skills and are obviously a patient man aswell.

12. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Hey Andy,

I think he was having the Diablo repaired by a US shop...

DF

13. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    #113 jqpd99, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    Looks fantastic. :)

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    did you have to rebuild the calipars Dan ?

I wouldnt worry about the paint, once on and alittle brake dust it wont be noticable.

16. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Nope... no rebuild necessary... no leaks were discovered during the inspection... Brakes were working fine before disassembly.

DF

17. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    #117 jqpd99, Mar 4, 2008
    Interesting job... the kluber grease is similar in texture as bubble gum left on a sidewalk on a 35C summer day...

I followed a fellow F-chatter website instructions and it worked out pretty well... (http://www.myferrari.page.tl/348-Clutch-Replacement-Part-5-Re_greasing-the-Flywheel.htm)

Of course, I put too much in there and it oozed out of many places as screwed down the cover... made a nice mess to clean up afterwards.

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    #118 jqpd99, Mar 4, 2008
    The local shop had quoted 425$ for kevlar and 365$ for organic... so I initially went with kevlar but then they called me back and said they had mis-quoted me and the actual cost was 900$ and about 600$ for organic... needless to say I was really pissed... so they agreed to 425$ for the organic instead...

I know, I know... my bad... I should have taken my business elsewhere but I was feeling miserable with the flu at the time and didn't have the energy to argue...

:(

19. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    #119 jqpd99, Mar 4, 2008
  20. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i think you still did very well with the clutch price...i thought the quoted price sounded a tad low.....main thing is its coming along step by step. Hope you feel better soon, and given the extra snow today you should be in no rush to finish yet :D

Hows the engine coming along ?

21. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    You're right but it's not the first time I've been faced with price changing after the fact and there seems to be a growing trend that businesses will not accept a loss based on their error... customer satisfaction and the negative word-of-mouth that follows means nothing to most businesses... they simply don't care.

I haven't touched the engine in a while... I will finish the cleaning this weekend however and remove the oil pan to have a look at the oil pump chain and tensioner to verify its condition. Then on to the cam seals and timing belt...

DF

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    True, give it another year, im sure things may change.

Cant wait to see it....good luck !

23. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    Dan - I called the guy you bought the car from when it was for sale and was quite interested because of the price. Got cold feet in the end. Really nice job you are doing. I will be buying my 348 late spring/early summer and your experience has really helped me in trying to decide on the following:

I have been really torn on whether to buy a low mile, higher priced car or a high mile lower priced car. The problem being that I know I will be putting high kms on the car which means at some point or another I will have to get to know this car inside-out (no ferrari service in Nova Scotia and not a lot of extra $$$ for service if it were available). So why not jump right in and get the feet wet from the get-go which bodes well with a higher-mile low price 348?

Your thread has inspired me - thank you.

Troy Wood

24. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    #124 jqpd99, Mar 16, 2008
    Here are some pics of the engine with the oil pan removed... I did this to verify the oil pump chain tensioner had not disintegrated in the pan.

Everything was clean and tight so I simply cleaned everything and re-assembled with Hondabond HT, which was recommended by the guys at Ricambi... at 25$ a tube, it better work!!

DF

25. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa