My 355 mini-Restoration story | Page 23 | FerrariChat

My 355 mini-Restoration story

Discussion in '348/355' started by treedee3d, Oct 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    That's a good question indeed, never heard of headers changed under warranty before..

2. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    been Reading the hole thread, really love all the work you put in to the car. The thread feels very honest in every way (from the dents to the Money you spent ) - like that! but can´t help wondering.... if this is a mini restoration.... i would love to see you doing a big one...=)

again - great work.

greetings from Sweden. // Fredrik

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    That is by far my biggest flaw...

4. Wolfjurgen

Wolfjurgen Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    Georgia, U.S.
    Full Name:
    Ed
    This is a fantastic thread, kudos for all the hard work and dedication you put into the "mini-restoration" ;)

Looks like you've had the aluminum radiator for a while, do you still like that upgrade?

5. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Honestly, the garbage Ferrari OEM replacement is not even an option (especially at 1100$ a piece)

This part is 900$ and, even if it probably has a Ferrari tax on it (probably could retail for less than 500$ easily), I don't see any other options.

Probably won't have to change rads for a while...

6. Ajax de 1e

Ajax de 1e Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2014
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Steef
    Chapeau! Nice and learning topic to read! The green was nice, even classic, but can understand the color-choice.

But my fears of buying a 355 just increased....I'm used to Porsche-quality, and dreaming of riding a Ferrari, but now....?

7. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Owning a Ferrari comes at a price. I consider myself lucky because my car had no history records and I bought it without a PPI. In the end it still cost me 30k but it's also because I wanted every square inch of the car to be new.

I firmly believe that Porsches are better cars but they are plagued with a huge problem: It's not a Ferrari!

Having one is not for everyone...personally, I have no regrets and plan to keep the car forever.

8. kderacing

kderacing Karting

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    I found this thread late it's a lot to read through and I'll be honest I haven't made it through all the details yet. But just from what I've read and seen CONGRATS! This is extremely impressive and it is so nice to see someone not run away from a less than perfect car and bring it back to life. Think of how many of these will someday end up in a junk yard because they sit long enough without buyers like you. That's a sad thought. This thread also reinspired me to look longer term on my own 355. It doesn't need as much as yours but like most it has its share of TLC items. Seeing someone put this much effort into a car tells me that I need to just get off my butt and do the minor things that mine needs, keep it, drive it and enjoy it. I recently had thoughts of selling mine because I was getting discouraged by the work it needs but this thread just highlights what the results can be!

Again GREAT JOB! The car looks and sounds fantastic. At the end of the day I'm sure its in as good of shape if not better than most of the pristine ones out there. You get the added satisfaction of knowing you did it and understanding the car in great detail which is extremely valuable for long term ownership.

9. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #559 treedee3d, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Time for another update....3 years into ownership of this car and I still love it! Almost at 20k miles

I get a lot of compliments on the color and condition and I do my best to take care of it. Maintenance cost are always an issue and the only "unknown" about this car is the valve guides but for now, ignorance is bliss and the car runs very well.

My first major was done in december 2011 and, at the time, my CV boots were changed and my motor mounts were still in decent shape. 5000 miles later, they all needed replacing...

I can only assume that the unshielded Fabspeed headers are the culprit. I still love me Fabspeed headers but it seems like addressing one issue (getting rid of the bad stock headers) creates another problem with the excess heat and all the rubber parts tend to age/crack prematurely.

I'm still happy with the Fabspeed and I want to keep them. The shields they supplied for the alternator and ac compressor seem to work because I've had no issues with those 2 components.

But the CV boots and motor mounts - that's another story!

I looked for solutions and found that the OEM shields for the CV boots just aren't very effective and also found an fchatter hpj (Jerry) who gave me his design for custom made motor mount shields which I fabricated and had installed on the car.

So I spent approximately 120$ in Material and about 380$ in labour to get these components installed.

We'll see how it goes...

Here are some pics
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #560 treedee3d, Oct 8, 2014
    I also got some heat shield material from Amazon and enlarged the OEM heat shields for the CV boots. Was a little too long so they needed to be cut and refolded. The space is very tight but my shop was able to do a decent job and the heat protection should be improved.

I also ended up changing the Gearbox mounts as well as the motor mounts.

Mounts cost about 250$ + 400$ labour

Here are some more pics of my recent visit to the shop...

f355spider likes this.
  11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #561 treedee3d, Oct 8, 2014
    Car was riding a little rough because of the mounts and shocks so I decided to send my shocks for a rebuild at Delta-Vee. Cost was 124$ per shock + shipping. Turnaround time was very quick (Less than 5 business days) and the service was awesome. Thank you Rob!!!!

My adjustable suspension also was not working so I initially assumed I'd have to send the actuators to Captain Z but somehow none of the teeth were broken and my shop was able to restore the system and it now works great.

So the car now has new shocks and working actuators. VERY HAPPY!!!!

Cost:

rebuild: 550$
    labour: 500$

Qavion likes this.
  12. k17har

k17har Karting

Sep 3, 2009
    london, uk
    Full Name:
    kayer
    just curious, i would like to try and fit those fiat headlights on my 355.

13. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    treedee3d, could upload the picture of the actuators?? These picture is corrupted...

I have a problema with the suspension (light on) and I believe that I have broken the actuators... Is easy to dissamble??

Thx, Sergio

(excuse my por english, I'm spanish)

14. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Not sure you could...but they are cool headlights!

15. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Sorry Sergio, it was a phone picture and it remains corrupted, I cannot recover it.

If you need actuator rebuild, contact Captain Z

Corvette fx3 shock actuator rebuilding and repair

16. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    If you are in spain, then it is easier to send the actuators to me in France.

I can fix them for you

17. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
  18. Augustin

Augustin Rookie

Apr 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Augustin de Villeneuve
    @treedee3d
    348 owner here. Just read all your thread for the last 2 hours.
    Really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing all of it ! and congrats you have an amazing car

treedee3d likes this.
  19. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Thank you Augustin for the kind words, it's a labor of love that's for sure.

20. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    Color change: I would not change the color, but obtain the original green. In the past I purchased a 1995 355 Berlinetta in British Racing Green. The correct name is Verde Silverstone. Attached is a picture of the car. Look for the color label. It should in the rear on the hood. Ferrari did not like to paint their cars green and only a few were produced. You can check the Ferrari registry on the internet. Some buyers are avoiding red Ferrari s and looking for other colors. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

treedee3d and Cole_ve like this.
  21. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Almost a decade later, time for a fresh new major!

Tried to sell this car a couple of years ago but because it's obviously "very very personalized" the offers I received are just not worthwhile to entertain. So she will stay put because I still love her immensely!

One of the hiccups I ran into was a serious buyer who wanted to make sure we had a good leakdown/compression test. The results were dissapointing because all cylinders were great at less than 8% except #2 which was almost at 60%.

Upon further investigation, it can be fixed and the valve guides are still good but they are worn and this is a good opportunity to get it all done now that the engine is out.

I decided to go with the high quality manganese bronze from SI Valves in California. waiting for my order to arrive.

Got the service kit from Ricambi as well as new wires (mouse chewed up my current kingsborne wires unfortunately) I love that it includes all that is needed including the Hill Engineering Tensioner bearings (which I did not know about last time around).

Photos and updates to come!

desmomini, Targatime and f355spider like this.
  22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You're doing it right! Keep us posted. :)

treedee3d likes this.
  23. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Who are you using for the head work?

24. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    A reputable local shop here in Montreal, Canada who has done many Ferrari jobs.

25. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You do a great service to the FChat community with this thread!

treedee3d likes this.