My 360 & a Gallardo test drive. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 360 & a Gallardo test drive.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Russ Birch, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    That's great Allan, that's great. But if you stopped 2 seconds instead of speeding trying to overtake every other car on the road, and stepped out of the Gallardo and looked at it from the rear you would see that the car is ****ing ugly, that's why it get's bad critics all around the world, and that's why we don't like it hear. You say that all newer Ferrari's don't look good, well, the Gallardo is uglier than all new Ferrari's together if you ask me. And I like Lambo's.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hmmm nah, i dont think so.

3. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    The looks of the Gallardo don't bother me. Sure, the rear end could be better. One thing that would put me in a Lambo before a 360 is the fact that every 5th car you see out here in Los Angeles seems to be a 360. Every 7th is a Spyder. I simply want to be in something I don't see coming at me from every direction. A 550 or 575 is every 20th car.

4. modenaboy

modenaboy Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Gordie
    I've got a lot of seat time in a 360 and recently drove a 911 TT a few times (a modified one that is super fast), and a 911 GT2. Also test drove a Gallardo recently, I got a good drive in with some twisties and highway, got to feel it through smooth corners, bumpy corners, and on the brakes hard while getting ready for turn in.

I love the Modena. I also really liked the Gallardo. They are two very different cars. The Gallardo seats did not bother me that much (I'm pretty thin, 6' and around 160), although I will say the interior is a little bland, but still functionally gets high marks. The Lambo is heavier and has four wheel drive, so no way it will feel like a 360, but it is planted and handles great, and is closer to the 911 TT in feel than to a Modena. Not as exciting as a Modena, but I thought for a four wheel drive car it felt pretty good, and it was a blast to drive with decent road feel for 4wd, if not the enthusiasm and direct connect feel of the Modena (but a very very planted and secure feel).

By the way to PSK (who said he has yet to drive a German car that feels as attached the road as an Italian car), have you tried a GT2? I thought that car had awesome feel, I was extremely impressed, much different experience then the regular 911 TT in terms of a more raw, visceral feel.

The Lambo is getting lots of mixed comments, but I don't think it is trying to be a Modena clone - it is designed differently, somewhere in the middle of Modena and 911 TT.

And I think it is gorgeous.

I am just chiming in to balance things since this thread started off with a negative review - a lot of this is personal taste, so I am not disputing what other people say, but I did dig the car a lot, and this is from someone who absolutely loves the Modena. I would definitely put a Capristo exhaust on the Gallardo as soon as one is available (or a Tubi/etc. if no Capristo), that would add a bit of spark to it.

There is also a sport suspension option for the Gallardo, I haven't tried it, but it might give the car a more connected feel. I would love to see a 2wd lighter Gallardo, but I'll tell you I could drive the current car all day rain or shine, highway or twisties, it is very versatile, yes, a sensible supercar (except for the lack of storage space, but you can fit a laptop and an overnight bag behind the seats, that's all I need).

Did I mention I love how it looks? Can't wait to see the clear engine cover option.

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    German influence is never a good thing, I am the prime example, born and raised....and never look at my curves :)

6. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yep. One of my best friends had a TT quattro, put around 30k on it in a couple years and it was a nice car. He was big-time enthusiastic about it, autocrossing, member of driver's groups, everything. He never understood why I didn't care for it, how in the world I could think it didn't feel "alive."

Just recently he sold it and bought an M3. Now he calls the TT a fat pig. :)

Mark

7. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Listen guys, I think passion and the facts can muddle the brain, but I really think we should put this into perspective. Although having only driven the Murcie so far, i am sure, reading a very wide range of tests around, that the Gallardo is an excellent vehicle. I am also sure that the engine is "meatier" and more substantial than the 360 and also performs differently-meaning in a different rev bandwith,more torque etc. Sure looks are subjective and you're gonna get people who like it and others that don't. Same for the interior. Steering feel will be different because the lambo is 4wd and therefore will probably be somewhat duller than the 2wd 360. But then again I am sure that overall traction is superior than the 360. It swings in roundabouts. So you can go back and forth forever with silly comments on both sides, and you know no one will have the final word or answer, because these cars are different answers to the same question and neither are wrong.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mako
    890 produced is not 1000 sold.
    What part of that can't you understand?
    After several years of production you,(unlike me who can) can't walk into a Ferrari dealer and buy a 360 at msrp. for delivery in 9-12 months.
    You could walk into a Lambo dealer and do that.
    That's a difference.
    As far as you're iditoic posting on how the euro/$ is a "short term" problem (A few years isn't short term to those of us who have approx. a Billion $ under management.) it is a VERY serious problem for VW who lost over 1 Billion $ because of it unlike other mfg.'s such as Porsche who are hedged through 07. (That's what LONG term means.)
    Smart people read "tea Leaves".
    The "tea leaves" of posters who own, test drive, look at, consider and compare these car's for PURCHASE not for MAG Racing are what interest me.
    That's what this thread is about.

9. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I like it when people say every fifth car is a 360. What with a total annual worldwide production of 2,000 or so, every 5th car in a city that has 15 million cars is a 360. LOL. I live in West LA approx 2 miles from BH and I dont see a 360 everday, not even close.

10. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Everyone cant be ferrari homers. Its good to have an alternate perspective and he is sometimes amusing.

11. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch

Andrew,

I stood and stared at the Gallardo for almost an hour and started to fall in love with the whole thing. The butt is not real pretty, but the rest is quite attractive. The whole car had a very strong draw...That is when I thought, "hey what the hell, I will trade the 360 (there was a guy there, a customer, who was anxious to buy my 360 on the spot for more than I paid for it, including the mods!) and move on to a 3 year newer, more technologically advanced automobile. I like Lambos, and thought I could always get another 360 next year if I ended up not really liking it.

The point I was trying to make in my original post is that the Gallardo is so much the opposite of what I think a sports car should be. It feels heavy, numb, dull and disconnected. The driving position feels like you are in the back seat of a station wagon. I used to put my Audi TT turbo up on two wheels frequently and LOVED that little piece of junk. I could FEEL the road and how the car was tracking. The Gallardo has NONE of that feel. There was a noticable delay in the steering response. Yes, I had it in SPORT mode.

Go carting? Wow, sounds like fun. Tracey and I went for a great ride in the 360...top down...the ultimate go cart!

Say hi to everyone up there, and keep the rubber side down.

Russ

12. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    Dealing with the visbility problem with the Murcielago, A gent at Lamborghini Dallas said that the engine on future Murcielago's will be lowered and weigh less than the current Murcie. This is supposed to improve on visibility as well as improve on the drive. he did not say when this improvement will take place.

13. modenaboy

modenaboy Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Gordie
    Well said!

(I actually like both answers too, but I seem to be rare in that...)

14. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Oh my little friend Napo, lol. I grow weary of endlessly debating with you over this, you've shown no capacity to listen and learn from those that have something to teach you, particularly about the effects of SHORT TERM cyclical movements in the valuation of the dollar.

As far as your magic F-car buying ability, I actually am a family relative to a Ferrari grey marketer, I assure you when I choose to pull the trigger on the Stradale or a 360 Evo, it will be in my garage no later than a month out, so I'm good there thanks.

As far as my "idiotic" posts go, all I can do is literally laugh at your responses, try not to get soooooooooo angry at an internet message board. Go beat the wife or kick the dog, which I'm sure is your usual M.O. :)

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm sure the VW board will be happy to hear that the billion they lost is no big deal and the your def of short term is correct.
    If you don't mind I won't mention your thesis to my arb. dep as by considering short term to mean something dif. then you they've managed to do fine. Luckly they also haven't followed your advise that the euro/$ is a temp. problem that will soon reverse itself. Hey a 26% short term move may not mean as much to you as to those of us who make billion $ bets on the dollar/euro every bussiness day.
    Besides spouting how about some driving impressions? You gonna buy a Gallardo?

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #41 Texas Forever, Jan 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Napolis, I'll give you a little love here. I can't give you any driving impressions, but I just got back from the Detroit show, and I can give you some "seat-of-the-pants" sitting impressions (ha!) and a dollar figure.

First off, being 6'2" and long waisted, I don't fit. ;( No matter what I do, my head hits the roof.

That said, the car is definitely a looker. The Gally ended up being about 20 yards from a red Stradale, and if you want to impress folks who are typically impressed with such things, the Gally is the way to go. I watched the crowds for a while from the top of the Ferrari exhibit and most folks were lined up in front of the yellow Lambo and had their backs turned to the red Stradale that was right across the aisle.

Don't misunderstand me. The Ferrari exhibit had the typical crowd with their tongues hanging out on all sides. Even the new big Maser was getting a lot of oohs and aahs.

However, if you are looking to stand out on Rodeo Drive, the yellow Gally would be hard to miss. Personally, I'd take the Stradale in a heartbeat. (Actually, I prefer to think of it as the Spradale, but that's just me.) That is, I prefer the softer round looks instead of the hard edged Matrix style.

We did get a price on the Gallardo. According to the Chicago sales guy, the silver one was sold, but he quoted my bidness partner the yellow one for only $15K over sticker. We were headed to the airport when we ran into the Lambo people so we didn't really get a chance to see how proud they really were. But, I got the feeling that that we could get them down to sticker pretty quick, if that was something that we wanted to do.

My partner may go to Dallas to drive one to see what he thinks. If he does, I'll post his thoughts on driving the car.

Me, man I'm waiting till I sit in the Ford GT. If I fit in that sucker, I'm toast. That is a beautiful car... I can just see in it in white with two big blue stripes down the middle, oh Momma come talk to Daddy cause I'm in love! I'll continue this thought in another post when I have time...

DrTax
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Dr. Tax,

Do you have a picture of the silver Gallardo by any chance you can post?

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dr
    You will fit in a Ford GT and if you want some more headroom I'll pop a mold off of my Gurney Bubble for you.
    Lambo's def have more flash. So much that I was truely surprized with how great the Murcie felt to drive. I was expecting something less refined. I spoke to VW about the lack of interior storage space, no glove box or door pockets and they said they'd look into it. The RHD also is misssing a dead pedal but the LHD isn't. The only other thing I didn't like was the feeling of the clutch. The hydro pedal felt weird.
    The Ford guys got it right. If you go for one let me know.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #44 Texas Forever, Jan 19, 2004
  20. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #46 Texas Forever, Jan 19, 2004
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #47 Texas Forever, Jan 19, 2004
  23. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Thank you Dr.

24. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The italians don't have a franchise on "road feel." My GT-2 is so much more involving to drive than the more modern ferraris i've owned.But, its also not very comfortable. Ferrari has achieved an extraordinary level of comfort and convenience for a high performance sportscar/GT but, there is a price to pay for that in the combination of power assisted steering, comfortable suspension and weight. I know some contend that ferrari lost their way in road cars after the Daytona, but the Boxer still had it.I haven't driven a Stradale, but that concept is, to me, what its about. Pity ferrari hasn't done the same thing with a modern 12: strip it down, make it all about performance but don't make it so exclusive that only 399 people can have one. Dunno about the new Lambos. I liked the fit and finish of the Murcie but it seemed like a big, big car. I have not had a chance to drive it, or the Gallardo, but it sounds like the chief complaints are the same ones that have plagued ferrari for quite a while: too refined to be considered a true sportscar. Then, again, maybe road feel and discomfort don't have to go together, but i haven't been in too many cars that achieved the former without the latter.

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Man, you have got that right. Ford had a silver with black stripes on the floor, and it was the best car in the whole place -- bar none. I can't wait. Even the new Mustang looked good, very good. The Stang is supposed to come with a 4.6L V8 with 300, no, 500 ponies! Somebody at Ford is paying attention. Come on Chevy, step up to the plate. The new Vette is great, but it looks like a Viper. Why not go for it?

A Gurney Bubble, eh? Only problem is that my wife, who is a lot smarter than I am, sez I can only have one toy at a time. Thus, the Maranello would have to go. But maybe after my planned trip to Pebble Beach this summer, I might be ready for a change...

Seriously folks, I don't care how many of you gripe that you'll never spend $150K for a freaking Ford, blah, blah, blah. This car looks like the real deal. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one.

Oh, and yes, Napolis, I did fit in the Mercie just fine. Talk about a space ship! But for now, I'll stick with my hopelessly retro, out of date, underpowered, overblown Supra style, front-engineed, Italian Camaro! :)

DrTax

ps I'll post more later about my take on the 612 and other cars, but first this brief commerical break...