My 360 & a Gallardo test drive. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 360 & a Gallardo test drive.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Russ Birch, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    I had a chance to drive a Murci last June with my 11 year old daughter. (she loves Lambos...go figure) I know the dealer Sales Manager and he knows I have a bunch of cars including my F355. I was shocked at the rattles and other quality problems with the car. Also, I did not feel like I was in control...my 355 gives me that feel. Got to admit that a fifty something bald headed guy does get stared at in a yellow Murci and if I were 25 years younger...oh well...but I am not a rock star...and it does get to 125 very quickly...but...I would rather drive an F car any day!

2. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    The problem is a week before the GT comes out, you'll see 90% of the production run for sale in the back of Autoweek for $300k. I gues it's a legal way to make a buck. I just hope the guys who buy these things to make a killing take a bath on them and then people who really want the CARS can get them at a decent price. I remember the ZR1, PT Cruiser, Daytonas. They all came crashing down. The 360's are next I'm afraid/glad.

3. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Interestingly in LA, the Lambo display did not have quite the same effect. There certainly were the usual oglers (sp?) but the Ford GT got far more attention. Almost more than any car on display. The Ferrari display was quite large in relation to the Lambo display and the 360 spider still was drawing crowds and photographers (and it has been at that show for 4 years!). The Lambo display was next to the Bentley one and the Brabus one, so maybe that took a little away from Lambo. The Bentley GT was drawing em in - I think it looks nice.

Russ - I like the looks of the Gallardo and respect its performance. But to be honest, if it were me, I would never trade in your 360 spider on a Gallardo. No ifs ands or buts. Your car is beautiful!

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! Rattles in a Murci. You should drive my Spider. As for rather driving a 355......

5. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    the long term test of the merci in EVO magazine where they did 5000 miles of motoring; apart from the gearshift comming of in their hands the comment was.

A great car, pity that after 5000 miles the engine was rattling and there were numerous noises and cockpit sqeeks- it seeems as if the engine needed a rebuild let alone a service- bit worrying if youve just paid all the money for it!

And this equested with the car that P1 club have which a previous poster commented on, new engine at 7K new clutch at 2 K they rate it as the MOST unreliable car they have on theior fleet. and they have ALL exotica

6. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    I had a chance to drive a Gallardo a few days ago. I really liked it, but had two main gripes. First is lack of visceral experience, much like my 911TT. But, I think a proper exhaust can alleviate some of that issue. The second gripe was cheap plastic center console dashboard.

I do like the looks of the car, I am still undecided on the rear end. One thing for certain is that the car looks much better in motion than sitting. I got a short (though big!) movie clip of my test drive. Beware, it is 10 megs and only about 8 seconds long, but it is full-screen full-motion:

http://www.rolexfaq.com/Misc/GallardoMike.MPG

The handling of the Gallardo felt great to me, very planted. The Gallardo handled better than my 911TT, but I felt the 360 handled better than the Gallardo. This is just "seat of pants" feel, the 360 is just awesome with super-crisp handling. I attribute much of this to the AWD of the 911TT and Gallardo.

-- Michael

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Please understand that I didn't mean to imply that the Ferrari exihibit was the ugly step sister who lives in the attic. There were people 2 and 3 deep at the wall. Indeed, the 612 was beautiful!

It is just that the yellow Gallardo really stood out and Lambo only had three cars on display. Whereas Ferrari must of had 4 or 5 Ferraris and 4 or 5 Masers, which were either red or silver or blue.

Now if the Stradale (or Spradale which I think is its correct name) had been in yellow with some spinner hub caps and blue neon lights under the car, the yellow Lambo wouldn't of had a chance! :)

BTW, the crowd at the Detroit show is mostly UAW types and rice 'r roni wannabes. Most people were cool with my Ferrari cap; but if I had been wearing a Lexus or Nissan cap, things might have been different. I'm sure the local folks aren't real happy about the huge Nissan billboard on the way to the airport advertising its new pickup truck which is a F150 killer.

DrTax

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I thought the same thing when I saw the GT here in Boston - only I want mine in blue with white stripes...

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Funny how you are so quick to point out faults in 2 test cars. Gee, i wonder if the people who get into the Murci at the P1 club drive the way a normal person would, or attempt to do 0-60mph awd launches on every corner? Please, get real.

Try reading the new Forza magazine, where they tested the 360 and Maserati. Seems fcars have minds of their own, and do things when they want to, not when you do.

10. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

Well alan

I always like your posts!! I am trying to get real as you call it!!

however in the case of the P1 club do you think that the customers treat all the other cars as though they were cotton wool and its only the lambo that gets it??

for your information they have

5 astons, 8 ferraris, 6 porches. 2 lambos, 15 other exotica and the stock constantly changes. I can only confirm that they say lambo is the MOST unreliable car they have. Ok this is 'only 2 cars' lets just say then these were friday jobs and that keeps everyone happy!!!

For our info ive never liked the 360 very much and masserati is crap anyway, many dealers in the UK have given up the franchise because of masser

anyway no ill feeling!!!

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well, i have no doubt, that ultimately a Porsche will take more abuse than any Lambo or Ferrari. The Astons are most likely autoboxes, and not really a car to beat on. The Ferraris are so underpowered there is nothing to break!

My point is, there is always a bad car in the bunch. I can admit that, but people here, constantly point out other manufacturers defects, yet hide behind their own.