My 458 Italia Kline Innovation exhaust | FerrariChat

My 458 Italia Kline Innovation exhaust

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Agostinho, Oct 20, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    I purchased and received my 458 Italia Kline Innovation exhaust and it will be installed within the next couple of weeks. I went with the Kline stainless steel, Valvetronic system with decat/test pipes, and headers. The quality of materials, welds and finish is excellent, and the amount of packaging used to protect the parts was top notch. I'm having the ECU updated as well. I'll post some video after it's installed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    Yes, please post videos and impressions!

I am considering ordering the same system. My friend just put a Kline on his R8 V10 Plus last week and loves it.

Any reason you went with stainless steel over inconel other than cost? On mine, I will get the high flow cats to avoid messing with ECU or having catless smell.

3. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    My priority was improving exhaust sound as much as possible, and I especially want the F1 sound at higher RPMs.

I also wanted a Valvetronic system so I could control exhaust sound volume levels.

I asked myself if I would ever try to sell the car without the stock exhaust, and the answer was no. My plan is restore the exhaust to stock if I ever sell the car, and running new exhaust with cats hurts exhaust sound quality. I know some people say they smell gas with a decat, and all exhaust systems are different, but my research says I shouldn't smell gas. I'm also updating the ECU.

Performance improvements were secondary, since I'm happy with the performance of the 458, so adding headers was something that I was hesitant in doing because it's expensive, but I didn't want to wonder what performance or sound improvements I was missing, and since I didn't want to have any regrets, I decided to go with headers too.

Inconel is a lot more expensive than stainless steel, and I don't care about more weight reduction, and if there really is a sound improvement of Inonel over stainless steel, I don't believe it's worth the added cost.

4. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I have Kline inconel headers and exhaust with 200 cell cats, on my 991.2 TTS, and love it. The sound is awesome.

My 458, stock exhaust with valves always open, sounds very good to me, in fact amazing! No need to change the exhaust.

5. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

I agree that the 458 stock exhaust sounds good with the valves open all the time, but a 458 with a good decat exhaust system with the valves open sounds better than amazing! There's no comparison to stock, so I disagree.

6. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I believe you! I would love to hear it, if anyone lives in the Scottsdale area...

The hard part of picking an exhaust system is listening to video's, they don't really represent the real sound

7. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

I agree that it's not easy deciding which exhaust to pick based on Youtube videos. Do your research, then go to local car shows, Ferrari get-togethers, etc, and listen to cars and ask owners which exhaust they have. I did all this and narrowed my choices to IPE and Kline. Kline is a WAY better deal than IPE, and bang for the buck, hard to beat.

Boston George likes this.
  8. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I agree with your choice of Kline, their Inconel headers and exhaust fo the 991 TTS is not cheap, but it turns a vacuum cleaner sound into a high pitched race car sound, which changes the driving experience like night and day, I'm sure they make a good sounding exhaust for the 458 too

9. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

Why do you think the sound difference you're hearing is the Inconel, and not the exhaust itself? Are you saying that if you swapped your current Kline Inconel exhaust for the same Kline exhaust in stainless steel, that you think you could hear the difference? I really doubt it.

10. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I'm not saying that at all.

I was just describing the type of Kline exhaust I have.

I really don't know if there is a difference between SS and Inconel, as I have never heard them side by side. However, I trust Sam (By Design), who told me there is a noticeable difference, a higher pitch sound with Inconel vs SS, so I decided to get Inconel, just so I would not regret it later. Also, other owners were very happy with their Inconel exhaust from Kline.

But if you ask ME if I know there is a difference? No, I don't know.

11. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

I've never heard Inconel and stainless steel side-by-side either, but I assume most, if not all of the sound comes out of the tail pipe. If Inconel exhaust walls are thinner or less dense it could sound different, but with as loud as a decat 458 is (valves opened or closed), I can't image being able to hear that will all the noise that comes out of the tailpipe.

12. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I agree, and if you are happy with it, end of story :)

13. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    My Kline stainless steel, Valvetronic system with decat/test pipes, and headers are installed and it sounds incredible. I need to get the car outside and on the road to take it for a drive, but in the shop with the valves open it's LOUD. It has a low growl at idle, and wicked, high pitch scream at high RPMs. Videos really won't give you any idea how it transforms the sound of the car, but I'll post videos in the next couple of weeks.

veilstylez likes this.
  14. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I 100% agree....458 stock sounds eh ok when its new, but a 458 with a decat'ed exhaust sounds F'ing amazing theres no comparison. The scream of the exhaust changes the driving experience to a point you don't need the radio...you constantly go up and down the gears like you're playing a musical instrument. I can never go back to stock sound its to boring. Kline sounds good....I have a few friends with this system, sounds close to a novitec but quieter and not as loud..sounds amazing when following behind. Headers definitely makes the car louder and the pitch higher, Im in the a spider with IPE decats and not sure If I can go louder with the top down, Im afraid it might get TOO loud with the top down. If I had a coupe I would do the headers. But YES do the exhaust!

Agostinho and Ash Patel like this.
  15. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    So far I love the Kline exhaust on my 458 Italia. I have the stainless steel, Valvetronic system with decat/test pipes, and headers. I thought it''d be too loud to drive around town with the valves open all the time, but it's not. I like it so much with the valves open, that's the way I've been driving it most of the time. Never any interior drone at all, and never any gas smell. At idle and lower RPMs it has a deep growl, and at higher RPMs the high-pitched, F1 sound. Never tinny sounding. It's a great exhaust system and I highly recommend it.

16. squires

squires Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    do you get the CEL light on the dash? Since you have decat pipe

17. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

Yes, there was a decat CEL, so I added the Capristo ODB Wizard which took care of the problem. I don't have any decat check engine lights.

The car sounds so good with the valves open that I drive around with the windows open more often just to listen to the exhaust sound.