My 488 is just too damn fast.. | FerrariChat

My 488 is just too damn fast..

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SlickMurphy, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Yep, I said it. 660hp has proven to be far too much for roadwork and I just don't have the balls to rash up this $300k+ car at the track. I'm tired of driving this fast car slow and would like to revisit driving a slower car fast.

In your opinions, what was the sweet spot for horsepower, sound, modern amenities and a visceral driving experience with Porsche's and Ferrari's (or other) built between the 90's and today? I'm leaning towards a 996 or 997 GT3.

Thoughts?

David

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've heard the 488 is just unbelievably fast.

I'm loving the 991.3 GT3 with Sharkwerks. The power is very linear and usable on the street. The car has such good handling and feel that you don't feel out of control. In the Cali T a few times there isn't as much feel and the power/speeds creep up on you to point you look back wondering if you were in control or not. I really didn't know if I had been in control or not because there was such little feel.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    You should reconsider the option of tracking :)
    A 458 is very modern and has lots of qualities but you may still consider it too fast for the road...
    Older Ferrari are dated, because they have either a manual gearbox or a robotised F1 that's no match for a DCT. It does not mean they are a bad experience, but it depends on what you're looking for.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    2017 fiat 500 abarth is the most enjoyable car i own for street driving!

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Get yourself a nice 599 David ... that reall is a gentlemans GT 12 cilinder.

Fully available and not to expensive to buy imo :D

Go for a test drive at a dealer !

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My 458 spider is plenty fast. I like that l can pass easily on two lane mountain roads. Would not say it’s too fast on the street. Best car l have ever owned. Love the sound. I see no need for a 488, but then l don’t track the car.

458 is my sweet spot.

7. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I had one and totally agree with this statement. It was the most fun in a car I've had in a long time. Mine was black/red/stick. Great little car. Shame I got rid of it.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's true! our Abarth was the most fun town driving car and actually sounded the best until I got the Sharkwerks GT3.

uhn2000 likes this.
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I’m biased, but I would say a 360. Or a 430. Cars earlier than that don’t have enough power (308, 328), or the maintenance requires engine out (Testarossa, 355). The 430 improved on the performance over the 360 and had improved interior, etc., and they went to timing chains over belts, so less frequent maintenance. But the added power and torque may take you to too fast for the road territory. The 360 does not have the torque of the 430, so you rev it more. Not as fast, but more fun! 360s are still not as solid as the later 458 and 488, but much better than the older cars. That said, the single clutch F1 gearbox is clunky compared to the DCT of your 488, so you might consider a 3 pedal manual.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    they're dirt cheap and pretty bullet proof - get one back! intake, eurocompulsion ecu and short shifter and it transforms the car.

uhn2000 likes this.
  11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Try 458 or GT3. I have both and they are the sweet spot for me, a 49 year old who felt the same about the 488 as you do.

12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    hard to beat a 997

TheDiffuser likes this.
  13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just a day ago I was talking with a lawyer friend who has had 355, 360: I drive aggressively enough on the street wringing out my 355 to redline (basically 2nd and 3rd gears) that even though I keep looking for a newer model, I don't know if its worth the money... There's nothing like getting in the zone with some trance and zooming around on-ramps, interchanges and desert canyons. He agreed and said he's sticking with his C7 for now instead of the Z06 or ZR1, since he has little self control even with that.

I suppose when push comes to shove what I think about is getting something with [relatively] more reliability for peace of mind - which my local service guys keep telling me is at least an '08 F430 or '11 458. But I remember when I drove the 458 I thought that was already a little too much.

14. polishhammer83

polishhammer83 Karting

Sep 30, 2012
    This! I finally feel qualified to make a recommendation on here. I actually own a 2013 500 Sport, which is literally the Abarth with its balls cut off. Even with only 101 Hp on tap the Sport is wicked fun to drive daily and it takes being roughed up and flogged around for work surprisingly well. Take my Sport and add a turbo, sport exhaust and suspension and you get the Abarth. My biggest regret is not getting the Abarth instead.

I can't speak for the driving character of a Ferrari or Porsche, I doubt I'll ever get a chance to drive one, but IMHO the Fiat 500 is the most fun and practical daily driver out there now.

PS: Fiat is having a rough time here in the US, so prices for both new and used have fallen and if you are not worried about flipping the car for a profit (you won't) it's a good value. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4rextc, anunakki, colamclean and 3 others like this.
  15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Really interesting and thanks for the comments. All my life I thought the highest HP was the best solution, but when I traded my C7 Stingray for my Z06, I realized that I could only use the extra 190 HP at the track, and on our local (fairly tight) track, it was really no advantage. So when the decision came of whether to buy an available 458 or wait for the 488, I chose the 458 and am happy with it.

"They" say that the Corvette Grand Sport is the optimal mix between the StingRay and the Z06, if you are into Vettes. Others could be a Gallardo, the Fiat Abarth as others have mentioned, or the Alfa Quadrofoglio

16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    If I had to have only one car then I go for the fast car all day, every day.

If I already have a fast car then second car decision would be different with regards to H.P.

Way2fast likes this.
  17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

GT3 or 2007-2009 porsche turbo

18. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Used cayman not worthy? Mid engine and comes with pdk or stick...

SV

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've heard great things about it and think it is a great car. I think the Cayman often look better than the 911. However, as a Ferrari person putting their toe into the Porsche waters I think only a few options and it is 911 all the way since CGT/918 are out of my budget. :D

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    never say ever - if ur even in NY ill let you drive one of my ferraris

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i agree 355 and 360 are still pretty fun on the street. 430 is borderline. stepping on the gas in second for a cple seconds can get you into trouble. a 456 or 612 is enjoyable on the street as well.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You want visceral fun even at 6/10ths?
    I think Scud/16M or Porsche GT3 are just about right at ~500hp and raw.

Shark01, Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  23. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Totally agree.....I loved my Rosso Scud.....optimal combination of exotic looks, raw sound and feel. It is fast while still maintaining a mechanical feel and being totally involving.

Shark01, Afonsolaw and uhn2000 like this.
  24. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Tdf is the car which modern sports cars should aim for.
    Italian big engine poor tire car which will throw you sideways all the time up to 4th gear and scare the hell of you every time.
    You never ever put you foot down anytime on the road yet you cry for more seat time.

Compared to that 488 is just fast no drama.

25. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A great thread, I have never had a GT3 but have heard it's takes the cake for usable, city, track, etc. I have a CaliTHS which I think might come a close second and is also a convertible, has rear seats, a boot to store stuff. Very usable car and I think it sounds fantastic!