My 77 308 may be totalled..Houston repair facilities? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My 77 308 may be totalled..Houston repair facilities?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by greg328, Jan 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Greg,

My car (1982 308 GTSI) had very similiar damage to the front end when I was hit last year. It also had a little tweak to the front tubing on the frame that needed repair similiar to yours. Mine was perfectly repairable and now the car looks fantastic (even better than new). If you want more details PM me your phone number and I would be happy to share my experience.

You can see the pictures on the Georgia regional thread.

Good luck and hang in there, it can only get better from here on out!

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Andy,
    Thanks for the message--sent you a PM..

Looks like your car took a hit to the bumper and crushed it back, along with the front clip body panel...

My damage is a bit different--my car took a hit to the lower section below the bumper--valance was shattered, and the front box frame/radiator was crushed. My front clip/bonnet creased a bit but is repairable, bumper was not touched.

Curious to know about your frame damage, if any, and how it was fixed...

Greg

3. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yey! She is being fixed! Superb. One more saved from the parts department.

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Mike...

Now if I can just tolerate the wait..

Who knows how long it'll take? :(

Greg

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Slight hitch ( I hope it's only slight) yesterday. Allstate halted the proceedings, because a supervisor saw the car, and since framework is involved, needs to be convinced that there is no liability in doing the job.

I explained that the section to be replaced is NOT load-bearing, it just supports the bumper, radiator, and sheet metal/valance.

He said he just needs a statement from a Ferrari authority indicating this job will not decrease safety/increase liability.

I'm lining up some experts, including the country's foremost Ferrari/Maserati appraiser. Once he hears the experts, the green light should be given....

These insurance guys see a Ferrari and they think they've seen an alien from outer space!! No idea what they're looking at!

If they try to total me out, I'm heading to court....

Greg

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ok, Allstate just gave the green light.

Now, Ferrari Parts Exchange has to cut the front end off the donor 308 and ship, which will take a week.....

"The waiting is the hardest part..."

Greg

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist....It's the Beavis in me.

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I know, when you enter their web address it looks like

"Ferrari Part Sex Change"!

Pretty funny, Beavis!

Greg

9. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    PM me Greg. We have some happy Fchatters that we have repaired similar damage.

Glasurit, frame straightened, fenders rewelded, valance rebuilt, etc., etc We do all work in house except for paint, we send that to our restoration shop.

I sent you an email earlier too.

d

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    David,
    Got your e-mail, thanks.

Unfortunately, the car is already at a shop here in Houston, Prestige Collision.
    They do very good work, and have experience w/ exotics.

I'm going to send you an e-mail..

Greg

11. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Did you need that front end from me or no? Remember it's black boxer trim and a Euro spoiler (deep).

Thanks

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sean,
    You're talking about the valance only, right? I already ordered one as part of a parts package coming from Ferrari Parts Exchange-Lyle Tanner. He gave me the option of going with a Euro spoiler also, but I'm sticking with the USA one. I LOVE the deep Euro spoiler, but I know I'll crack it on the streets of Houston in no time......

Thanks,
    Greg

13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Update--my parts package won't arrive until mid-late next week, so I'm playing the waiting game!

The front end is torn down in the shop right now, and the frame damage is now better visible. As I thought, it's limited to the front box-section. The main rails behind it are fine.

I hope they can weld it in properly. There are some plates covering the joint that has to be cut. (on the bottom, just in front of the main lower rails).
    I guess they'll weld in new plates...

Greg

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's not hard AT ALL, to surpass Factory welding quality..........Mr. Blobby was a factory welder for years!

The racing work at Speedmore would have been fine as well, I'm sure......

Have you considered any further modifications to your brake balance???

Sean, change your mind on the deep spoiler fitment, or just offering?

15. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    BigTex,
    Glad to hear that the welds can be re-created even better...

Funny you mention brake balance... I believe part of the reason I had this accident is because of improper brake balance. As you may know, I installed my big Willwood calipers/rotors in the front, but have NOT installed the rears yet. I was (still am) hoping to find a solution to the parking brake problem.

My fronts lock up easier than ever now, and I believe if I would have had more rear brakes I may have been able to save the skid...

One thing's for certain--when I get her back I'm putting the big rear brakes on right away. I'll figure out the park brake thing later. I'll probably machine the bosses on the other side of the upright and hang a spot caliper right there. Finding one that pulls laterally has been the problem--they all pull fore/aft. Maybe a cleverly-designed pulley system.... :)

I sure miss my 308.....

Greg

16. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Just offering. And I haven't had time to even attemp to put it on. My carbs are all over the work bench right now and the ignition will be off to California this week for a rebuild and fitment of some Pertronix units to rid my self of the points. I'm pretty sure that the carbon build up on the plugs has to do with several factors;
    1. Poor spark
    2. Poor advance
    3. to much around town driving and not enough WOT

I've tried to lean out the fuel some, but as soon as I turn the screws it starts to caugh and spit. If it's too rich I should be able to lean it out, but I can't without the caugh/spit out the carbs. BUT, my plugs are slightly fouled and that tells me too rich. If my ignition is wrong then that will cause problems with what I'm seeing. Once I get that right, I'll start again with the carb balance and see if it doesn't run better.

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hello Greg,
    Just took a goog look at your car's pix & scanned the thread.

As you've already found out, the damage is quite repairable, looks really bad, but it isn't truly serious damage. It didn't get anywhere near the main frame or even significantly bend the truly expensive upper sheetmetal.

I'm sure it'll come out of the shop looking better than when it was new.

18. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Verell,
    Thanks for your vote of confidence. This whole thing just makes me sick, but I hope that I'll come out better than ever.

Glad the main frame wasn't damaged...

Time will tell!!

Greg

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, 6 to 8K for that front clip, baby...

And shipping costs would KILL ya!

Drive safe!

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
  21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Post the pictures of the tear down and repair, that would be intreresting......

I just bought an extra front grill and amber lens "over there".........any spares hanging on the garage wall will NEVER be needed! LOL!

Yea both fenders and the front upper valance panel are all ONE PIECE, if you go factory OEM...I'm sure lots of them have been cut and welded over the years though.........

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll do my best to post progress pictures. Depends on how often I can get over there.....

Greg

23. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Update:

My parts package from Ferrari Parts Exchange-Lyle Tanner-

...should be in tomorrow.....

This is taking a long time--and they haven't really even begun!

Greg

24. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Greg, you need to understand on a job like this it could be months until your car is properly repaired, there maybe also supplemental damage that is not known at this current time. I've seen a 77 308 like yours hit a cinder block back 2003, it damaged the front spoiler, lower core support & radiator. We later found out the customer attempted to drive it home & then to the repair shop. The result was a blown head gasket, warped head, etc.. from no coolant flowing to the engine. It was a complete mess.

I hope everything works out, just have some patience. Good things take time. Thanks for keeping us updated.

25. 348 spy

348 spy Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2002
    LEWISVILLE
    Full Name:
    JANO
    thats right will.