My 83 QV Resto | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My 83 QV Resto

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by wilkrod, Oct 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Wiring harness complete, and tested with mockup interconnect board. Everything works. Next fill motor up with break in oil, and spin it over to get oil pressure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    =AZVE9ZhGODgTAbiu-a_XrOMPatygtHqXowJXzlWNq-vi8Lw8w51FwjJHsqz68Wdc5UobSEKFdofMFve9KtuwVz7wm4c9FYrOrYee6yTmYf0ovQ&__tn__=EH-R']
    =AZVE9ZhGODgTAbiu-a_XrOMPatygtHqXowJXzlWNq-vi8Lw8w51FwjJHsqz68Wdc5UobSEKFdofMFve9KtuwVz7wm4c9FYrOrYee6yTmYf0ovQ&__tn__=EH-R']

boatr2001, MvT, rob and 2 others like this.
  2. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    I looked through your thread and couldn't see much mention of the suspension.
    These don't look like the adjustable Konis available from Carobu.com.

Is this a QA1-based setup?
    Where did you source it?
    Thanks in advance,
    -g

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    At least you are still smiling , its a big project given the detail you have gone too.

4. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  5. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
  6. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    Q: in the instructions this line item is mentioned:
    Verrells QA1 Bushing kit for the lower mounts from UNOBTAINIUMSUPPLY.COM

In looking at their parts/price list here http://unobtainiumsupply.com/UnobtainiumSupply_Product_List.PDF

What is meant is the part# SHOCK-KIT for $378.51 which includes the end points for all four coilover assemblies (2 front and 2 rear), right?

7. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Sorry, can't answer your question. For the top mount I used the QA1 stud mount, and for the bottoms, I made my own from delrin/steel. You cut out the QA1 rubber bush , and then use a lathe to make the steel core, and two piece delrin bushings.

8. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    NP. What you suggest is straightforward enough and i may just buy the parts as a fun project..

Did you find the dampening and spring rate too harsh for street use or because you are rebuilding the motor you havent taken the car out yet?
    - i put Bilstein B8 dampeners off a 3000GT on my tvird and while it was great on the track, tue ride would be almost too brutal for a DD car.
    - Also, did you stick with this guya 350/300 spring recommendation?M y mondial when EV'd will have more weight up front when stock but the overall weight will be ~100LB vs stock.

Im curious what you chose.

9. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    So when I bought my car someone had left the trunk open, and of course it rained. The OEM insulation was soaked, the first thing I did was pull out all the wet fiberglass, what a mess. Now that I am ready to install my new electronics I decided to mount them in the trunk. So had to put the trunk back together. Scraped off the surface rust, treated it, and applied POR to the entire trunk floor, that **** is great. Hear are the rebuild pics. Just the last top cover to put on, and the wing covers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. FerrariofAlberta

Feb 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott McMonigle
    What a cool thread, enjoy all the pictures. Great work!!!

11. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    I am not a welder, but I pretend to be one on Facebook. This is Fredos header, I cut off the air injection fittings, and needed to weld up the holes in the header. Next will soda blast, and do a high temp. coating. Then, wait for it.... the drive train goes back in the car after more than a year!!!
    =AZXf7o1erq3vdBmNFmJ70-4m0ItYrtf01R25bbLQnGinEaOgpKGjF_5ZdPyjnJsI3w7jDu-63QQpx6FjEfE5Xn2ZY8jXn-gBU6nIWiufp71wJg&__tn__=*bH-R']
    =AZXf7o1erq3vdBmNFmJ70-4m0ItYrtf01R25bbLQnGinEaOgpKGjF_5ZdPyjnJsI3w7jDu-63QQpx6FjEfE5Xn2ZY8jXn-gBU6nIWiufp71wJg&__tn__=*bH-R']

hyenahf, rob, MvT and 2 others like this.
  12. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    You might have been joking but someone is doing that to a jalpa here with the same ford drivetrain… the car was a runner in great shape!

The project began about ago year. It just got running.

Like your wonderful project here btw , be interested on the power gains once it’s completed

Warm regards

ps unable to post up pics here with my phone ?

13. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Pulled the radiator today along with the central coolant hoses, radiator goes to the shop on Monday, will install new hoses tomorrow along with new battery cable. Waiting on some new 20mm banjo fittings for the new oil cooler to add oil, and spin over motor. So getting close to drive train install. Only thing left to do is everything else.

JLF and davem like this.
  14. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Hoses, and battery cable installed. Suggest putting silicone grease on the first few inches of the hose/cable, slides right in!!
    I have an 8 ft. length of hose left over if anyone needs it.

15. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    Everything works better with lube.
    -g

16. Brooklands

Brooklands Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Great that the hoses pulled easily for you. CanI ask where you were able to source the longer lengths of hose for the tunnel? Most sites seem to only have 4’ lengths. Did you use the metric size?

Great project, enjoying following your progress and hope you are able to fire that beauty of an engine up soon.

17. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    WWW.Hoseshop.Net, yes they are the correct metric size. You have to specify the 8 ft. length.

18. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    So rad is out at the shop being cleaned, refurbed. Next were the fuel tanks. Sweet Jesus, the smell of 10 year old gas is enough to give up the old car resto gig.
    Anyway, both tanks are out, need to be cleaned, inspected, bungs for the evap system removed, install with new hoses, etc. I have to say if your motor is not out I would not recomend trying to remove the tanks, they are a ***** to get out. And here is also the new toy in the garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Brooklands, afterburner and Ademir 70 like this.
  19. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  20. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Be very, very carefull welding fuel tanks....even without gas, dangerous !!

21. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Agreed, I always fill them with water.

davem and afterburner like this.
  22. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  23. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  24. Renren

Renren Rookie

Aug 18, 2022
    France
    Full Name:
    Renaud
    Hi Wilkrod,

I've just read your complete topic, you're doing such an amazing job!!!

I personally bought the same Mondial QV (Euro spec, I'm french) in April, with a broken engine due to a wrong belt timing...(+ many many other stuffs to do...). Didn't start the job yet but when I see yours, it really makes me impatient.

One question: how did you do for cylinderhead disassembly? And how many time did it take?
    It seems to be real pain to do on QV due to bolts location.
    Keep doing me dreaming!

Envoyé de mon SM-A528B en utilisant Tapatalk