My baby returned home - the long soap opera | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My baby returned home - the long soap opera

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AZ-Giallo, Sep 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Agreed. The bumper subframe is aluminum. That doesn't change my original comment. FTA asked how the subframe was bent and creased and your licence plate was not. I'm saying it buckled at its weakest point and not where it was hit. FTA was suggesting some possible foul play, and I was disagreeing or saying not likely.

2. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    I think you got screwed.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    These prices are such a rip off. I just replaced the rear bumper cover on my GF's Lexus and the part cost was $409. Total repair for the dealer's authorized body shop: $890.

4. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    And while I admit that anything is possible, including the deformation you describe, i would go the other way and say THAT is less likely to have happened than someone messing around with claim to create more profit for themselves. While I"m not an accident reconstructionist I am a state licensed professional engineer and on the basis think its unlikely that the bumper creased as shown given the damage (or lack thereof) anywhere along that height/level of the bumper cover. What I DO think is more likely is that parts that have a retail cost of $7k probably have a wholesale cost closer to $5k (or less) and so the more claims of damage, the more profit to the repair shop.

finally, being an independent, self-employeed engineer, i know that if i had a project that i bid $6500 (and made 'x' profit on) but then some advocate for some third partty got involved and i was suddenly able to quintuple my bid (and my profit) I would probably be very appreciative of that advocate -- to the point I may have to return the favor, or some portion thereof. Happens a lot I would suspect.

5. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    whats even more amazing is that a lot of these parts are cheaper on a 458 than they are on a 360. look up cataylic converter prices on Ricambi and they are over $8k for a 360. I think the muffler is over $4k (without tips)

6. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    ?Older car therefore more difficult to get parts?

7. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I, too, am a self employeed professional engineer. Before going out on my own, I worked for an insurance company doing forensic engineering, albeit not automotive.

The company that originally quoted $6500 didn't get the work, because the buckled sub member required the car to be sent to a shop in California.

8. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Plus a 360 has a single muffler - not two.

9. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    360s stopped production 6 or 7 years ago -- i don't see how that could affect Ferrari's cost or ability to produce parts. i think its more nefarious -- i think they inflate the prices every year because as the cars get older the parts are more likely to be needed and so they sell morre of them and therefore make more profit. the flywheel on my 360 was like $700 whenn it was replaced about 4 or 5 years ago (according to the service receipt). when i just replaced it again (at the same dealer) the price nearly tripled to over $1800. the dealer confirmed that Ferrari dramatically increased the cost of this part in recent years. i doubt the part costs that mcuh more to make now - i think they just like to test the boundaries of what clients are willing to pay to see how much profit can be had. in fact, i think very little in the way of pricing cars or parts has to do with actual costs but rather has to do with how much Ferrari thinks its clients are willing (or able) to pay

10. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    how about the cat then? why are they 3k less?

11. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    i don't think who got to do the work is especially relevant to the facdt that the damage to the cover and the estimated velocity of the other car seem inconsistent with the damage to the bumper. my point is, it seems suspsicious. if you or anyone else thinks i'm mistaken or beiing a conspiracy-theorist that's fine, but the pictures, the circumstances, and the data support an an alternate view just as much as any other. as i said a few times now, i could be mistaken. i have however, been involved in claims in the past and know there is a lot that goes on with them and that opinions and costs regarding repairs vary greatly.

12. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    what did you spec out in the new one? what kind of build date and delivery?

13. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A guess. There were several cats made for the 360. The European 360 cats are the same price as the 458 cats. The North American cats are more money. Ferrari has figured out how to make one cat that satisfies all markets.

14. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Totally, 100% agree.

15. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It seems that exotic car repair is a decent business to get into if you have the expertise. I wonder how they get on board with Ferrari SpA to get the restricted parts.

16. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    The kicker is anything frame related. My Scottsdale dealer said they looked into it, but decided it was too expensive to get into the business because of the upfront investment. They can do body parts, but can't touch anything on the frame.

17. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    The build was July/August. I'm not sure it made it out before the plant shut down for August. The dealer said to expect it around the fourth week of September.

I went crazy on the options. Got the Giallo Triplo Strata paint, racing package, pretty much all the CF, camera/sensors, yellow brakes, grigio wheels.

New one has the CF rear grill, and rear diffusers, this repair would have been more.

18. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    could only imagine what that would have cost!!! Spider or coupe?

19. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Coupe

20. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    David, in one of your earlier posts, you said this:

"...Lance never saw the car, he's based in California. All of his advice was free..."

is that true? You paid him nothing?

21. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Holy C..P! The poor woman who hit you could be faced with potentially losing everything over what was thought to be a $6,500.00 collision. Perhaps this explains the low miles on F-Cars. There is something fundamentally wrong when a cracked diffuser could escalate to a loss that exceeds the price of a new car, not to mention the inflated price of parts to repair. I have to wonder if the Tustin collision, perhaps, may have taken an incorrect approach. Wouldn't the car have a lesser IDV if more of the orginal parts had be left on the car?

BTW, the color combination of your car is stunning.

22. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    If he gets engaged and does a formal appraisal or writeup, you're going to pay. In my case we didn't need to go that far. I guess I was pretty lucky.

23. FTA

FTA Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2011
    Phila., PA
    Full Name:
    Frank T
    if you didn't pay him anything then that's what also makes me suspect something else could be going on here. while its true that any good will he extended to you could be revisited back upon him in the form of referals and new contacts -- just as has been exhibited by this thread -- its also been my experience that people generally have to earn a living and do things for money, so if you didn't pay him directly he may have gotten some compensation in some other way, from some other person (or business).

24. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    I agree. One of my exotics (not the Ferrari) was keyed by some punk and it cost almost $12k to repair it at the dealership. It was sent to an "authorized repair facility" where they apparently had to disassemble half of the car to paint it correctly. My insurance covered it but the cost was shocking. Needless to say, the punk is going to have to pull a lot of espressos to reimburse them if the cops ever find him. A buddy of mine thinks they price these repairs based on the value of the car, not the actual materials and labor cost. This would be supported by the earlier post confirming $46k in damage to another 458.

I inquired about Ferrari and the facility confirmed that, while lots can paint aluminum, body damage MUST go to an authorized Ferrari body shop and that there is only 1 in California. However they claimed that this authorized shop has a Beverly Hills address, not Tustin. Are you sure this in an authorized facility?

25. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho

Both parties are happy, there's no reason to flip out over this when you have no dog in the fight!