My BMW 507 project | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My BMW 507 project

Discussion in 'Other German' started by A12pilot, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    H Dave, great project!

I also believe the Buick aluminum block was used by Land Rover at one time if this helps you source parts.

2. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Chip. Yes, it became the Rover V8 in later years used up until the 90s I believe.

Making progress. I cleaned up the welds and reassembled the suspension. The rear axle was sent with the wrong parts so they're sending the correct axles and brakes in another week or so. They sent the wrong bolt pattern, but an easy fix.

I'm starting first on the engine bay sheet metal then will move onto the floors. I need to get the engine in before I do the main floors and tunnel so I can get the transmission crossmember installed sheet then route the exhaust. It's a puzzle with one part needing something before another part can go on. So much fun!!

More to come...

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, tritone, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  3. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Been working on getting the front sorted out. Engine bay side rails fabricated, dash installed, and steering wheel and column mocked up.

I used my zero turn seat (similar in dimensions to the seat I'll be using) to verify column and steering wheel position before I welded in the mounts. So much fun!!

The engine should get here at the end of the week and I'll get that installed for mount installation, then send it out for the rebuild.

More to come!

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, BJK, Tenney and 1 other person like this.
  4. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A very novice question, but is BMW manufacturing any help to you? Im guessing they may not be thrilled with a reproduction, but did not know if they would help with original dimensions, plans, molds, sketches etc? Great thread and fantastic to watch.

5. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, Paul. This is all me with books, models, and measurements from a few 507s along with a couple hundred photos from a few being restored.

No help from BMW and I’m pretty sure they haven’t a clue I’m doing this. I actually think if they knew they’d be thrilled that someone was so enthused about one of their classics that they took a model of one and made a real car out of it! Maybe I’m wrong, who knows? No plans on mass producing this, and the build is so much more fun than I thought.

Although I can say that I am excited to pull into the local BMW dealer with it when done and see the reaction!

BTW, I see you’re in Chicago. I do plan on bringing it to the Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals next year completed. More to come on that!

cheers
    Dave

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Indeed; given previous responses from Ferrari and Mercedes, of seizing and destroying individuals' reproductions, the further one stays away from them may be for the best......
    (a good friend scratch-builds Bugatti Type 35's just for the joy of fabricating; even he gets sideways looks from the BOC)

7. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, but you have to look at the logistics and such of those that were sued and financially ruined. Those were copyrighted designs (the 507 is not) and they were selling reproductions as actual, in this case, the Mercedes 300SLs if I’m not mistaken. An enthusiast making one, not going to raise any eyebrows unless it’s starting to be sold as whatever it is. I’m only making this for me and not for anyone else. I’m more inclined to believe it would be welcomed with enthusiasm that angst. The guys I know that own real ones are chomping at the bit for my updates. More enthusiasm about a car most don’t know about and the added brand recognition is always a positive thing with fan clubs . Haven’t had any lawyers contact me yet!

My plan after I’m done with it is hopefully enter it into the Hagerty Great Race. My wife wants to do it, so I think that would be a hoot!

cheers
    Dave

atomicskiracer and tritone like this.
  8. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Will look forward to seeing it completed here on the thread and hopefully next year in person!

9. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Moving forward, the NOS Buick 215 is here along with the T5 transmission. I got this installed and am in the process of getting the mounts welded in. Eerily similar to the factory motor which is perfect! The 2x2 intake really completes the package. Lots more details to do since this is only the initial mockup.

My pedal box is also here so I can mount that too. Once the motor is set I'll route exhaust and lines then finally I can move onto the floors and mounting the rear skin.

Exciting!

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, Nativetroy, ChipG and 5 others like this.
  10. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Windshield frame is fabricated along with some rear body panel supports in the trunk. I also got the rear wheel wells installed and have final trimming of those to do. Door hinges are here so next up will be for jambs. Engine mounts are in along with transmission mounts too.

Now that the motor is installed I'll start on the exhaust. Floors will get formed and installed after that is in. I'm chatting with a guy that makes driveshafts so I can get one made up. I am still thinking by the end of the year I'll have the metal work on the body structure done.

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, tritone, clandestine and 4 others like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    New Old Stock Buick 215? British Rover? could you you elaborate a little? Thanks :)

http://aluminumv8.com/Home/Technical

technom3 likes this.
  12. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Be glad to! I purchased this block along with other NOS parts (timing cover, water neck, pushrods, etc) from a person who bought a trailer full of engines and parts from one of the gentlemen on the development team of the 215. My block still has factory paint markings on the side and is fitting with pistons. Matter of fact, it was still in the shipping crate! It started by buying the 2x2 intake which is believed to be prototype to the Edelbrock intake, but not really sure. No part numbers on it but an inscribed hand written number. It has threaded ports on each runner with a very small plug installed. Possibly for flow testing?

I have Mark's bellhousing (website you listed) for the T5 I'm using and will probably send all of these parts his way for a build of the motor when the time comes later this year unless I find a shop here that I trust.

Cheers
    Dave

Dave

tritone, ChipG and BJK like this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    wow, very cool. :cool: I knew there had to be a story there. ;) :D

curious, what was plan B? find an old 215? was a Rover engine a consideration?

14. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Original plan was a SBC, but axed that. Then I was contemplating a 4.0 BMW V8, then an early straight six, then ultimately decided on the Buick since it's really similar to the original engine and almost nobody knows what it is. I just happened to stumbled across this one from the guy I bought the intake from and lucked out. Had I not of found this one, I would have just found a core to rebuild.

Cheers
    Dave

tritone, ChipG and BJK like this.
  15. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    mcimino likes this.
  16. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Haha! I am! I am! Although I don't know what for. :p

Yes, I saw that when it happened. I know the owners of that car and have photographed their other one being restored for my archives. Its helped me immensely on the build and they are excited to watch my project develop.

Only one exterior panel left to form and that's the trunk!

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, BJK, sainthoo and 4 others like this.
  17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Great progress Dave! Looking a lot like a real car!

18. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you! I’m tickled to death to death to see this sitting in my shop when I walk in. Very motivating to say the least!

cheers
    Dave

ChipG and tritone like this.
  19. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Awesome project. About a dozen years ago (maybe it was twenty…who knows), I saw Elvis’s 507 at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas…white if I recall correctly.

I was at that “museum” four or five times over the years it existed and saw some pretty significant cars.

20. Akg200

Akg200 Karting

Mar 10, 2022
    The States
    This is an awesome project you have embarked on. I bet the final product would be absolutely beautiful. Kudos!

21. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, guys! More progress photos this week! Hopefully outside for a few photos in the sun. Major metal work I still need to do is the trunk lid and floors. This is a fun project in not only forming the metal, but figuring out things like door locks, handles, wipers, heater, gauges, pedals, parking brake, etc. It’s all on me to do that and it’s quite the thought process. Fun stuff!

More to come….

Cheers
    Dave

tritone likes this.
  22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  23. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    mcimino, BJK, tritone and 3 others like this.
  24. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    mcimino and BJK like this.
  25. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    mcimino, BJK, tritone and 2 others like this.