My (Bob) Norwood Experience | Page 16 | FerrariChat

My (Bob) Norwood Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Russ Gould, May 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Statler, correct me if I am wrong but I thought that an attorney was not allowed to drop you in the middle of a case?

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I'll send a bottle of scotch along with Matt.
    Depends on state and type of case...Before anything filed in court it's very easy to just sever the relationship, mostly depending on the retainer agreement compliance and/or lack of payment. Once appearance filed, the Court needs to agree unless it's a strike and enter with new lawyer. (general stuff... lots of exceptions here). The usual standard once case is rolling is if it would prejudice client for attorney to leave. Again... just a general overview.

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I have a lot of respect for attorneys as the ones I use are pretty good but my buddy has been getting royally screwed. He just had one dump him last week as they took a small case on for 1/3 of what they collect and they now see it's exceeding the efforts they initially estimated so they are walking. Terrible business IMO. You finish the job even if it's a loser - shame on them for under estimating it. I've lost a lot of money with machines we designed and built that were under estimated - I completed them all with a smile as it's good business to do what you said you would do.

4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I absolutely see the pros and cons of contingency fees. While they do get access to cases for those who otherwise would not have the resources, they are rife with problems, especially with punitive damages. If the case lost in court the attorney and your friend would get nothing anyway... so if he's not out of pocket yet he got a lot of initial legal work done for free despite not going to Court.
    We should start a new thread.

paulchua and Dave rocks like this.
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Just punch some air holes in the box!

:)

Matt

wax, paulchua and davemqv like this.
  6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    hahaha

paulchua likes this.
  7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't want to get sidetracked into a Mondial discussion, those Mondial guys are pretty thin-skinned and quickly get their backs up if you criticize the model and won't let it go.

Suffice it to say the only thing that the two experiences shared was the fact that the cars were knowingly bought long distance with the motors out of the cars. The difference was McCann did what he said he would do (rebuilt the motor, put it back in the car and got the car ready for a long drive) for something close to the price he quoted, he handed over the car when I showed up to collect it, he stood behind his work (there was a problem with clutch shimmy that he paid to have fixed). I paid another guy to paint the car (something I knew it needed when I bought it), something I plan to do with this car as well. And after that I had twenty years of normal ownership experience. I decided to sell the car because I never really warmed up to the model, son had gone off to college, we were moving to Texas from OR and that was just one more thing to move, and I got my full asking price. I did not sell it, as Paulchua states, because I had "problems with the car" due to lack of maintenance. And the person that flipped it merely replaced the belts which we both knew needed to be done at that point. The car did not need anything else. Well it did have an intermittent instrument ground problem but the flipper did not fix that. When he advertised the car, he touted the extensive maintenance records that I supplied with the car, and also stated that I was a Ferrari Club board member, the original owner, and made other false claims. So much for his character. The buyer got a well-sorted driver and paid 50% more than he should have due to some pretty clever photography and said misrepresentations. The car has disappeared although I have seen some fake advertisements for the car since it was sold (one from South Africa). 38099 was the SN if anyone knows the rest of the story.

As for my character, calling me "the boil on the ass of the hobby" and other personal attacks is not exactly "spillover" Paulchua. So if we are going to talk revisionism, let's be honest.

To insinuate that the condition of the current car, as purchased, excuses Norwood is fuzzy thinking. First, Norwood had almost 3 months to go over the car before he estimated and commenced the work, so he knew or should have known what would be entailed; second, when he started work he told me the car was "a good one" and that the body was on straight, but later he placed the blame for his mess on Jim Carpenter, which is ludicrous as Jim Carpenter never touched this car and the problems we ran into were largely of Norwood's own making; third, this dispute is not about the work that was needed to get the car sorted mechanically and electrically which is what Norwood signed up to do, it is primarily about the fact that Norwood presented me with a final tally in accordance with what we had agreed, then after I settled it he reneged and moved the goalposts, and when I showed up to pay him what he demanded he added other demands that I sign a release and bring cash. This is about as clear a case of breach of contract as one could come up with. It is also about the fact that a good deal of the work he did is faulty by his own admission, and that he damaged the car in the process. And finally it's about the many dubious charges in the invoices, which I brought to his attention as we went along. At one point I had to tell him I am making payments in good faith, I am not paying your specific invoice. He blamed his accountant and promised to scrub the invoices. When the final "scrubbed" invoices were presented to me, I found them full of questionable stuff, as many here have concurred. And rather than respond to my questions in good faith, he is still trying to add charges to the invoices.

As an entirely separate matter, Buckley did pull the wool over my eyes and I am dealing with him. But that has nothing at all to do with Norwood. Norwood was dealing with a known car.

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Russ, I'm going to give it one more shot, because I really feel for your situation (even though you've been officially excommunicated by us Mongo's, and should thus be dead to me...;) )

The common theme running through all of your posts is emotion, thinly veiled by a logic of your own making. That is really a recipe for defeat if ever there was one.

Sometimes analogies help, so let's try this. I don't know if you're a poker guy, but if we were playing against each other, I'd be thrilled right now. You're showing as a guy who players love to get a hold of. A guy who, while sitting in a weak position, decides he likes his hole cards, even though they're not that great, and pre-raises the flop big time (buying a car sight unseen/continuing with Norwood after early signs he was going to overcharge). So now you've got a bunch of money on the table with the expectation that everything will work out, even though there's little to no evidence that it will. The flop comes and it's no help (Charges running up, problems with Norwood developing). You should fold but instead you get raised and call the raise! You're just giving away money at this point. Same thing plays out on the turn (about where you are now in real life, analogously - things just getting worse and you're realizing that you somehow aren't likely to win). Again, you should fold! Again you don't! The chances of you winning this hand are nil at best, and it's likely you're drawing dead. But you're not only talking about calling (paying Norwood), you want to go ALL IN (aka lawyers/the courts) in the hopes that you will "get lucky". You keep pushing chips into the game thinking you're going to beat it, when in reality, you were beaten several rounds ago. You're just drawing dead and making the rest of the table richer.

I really do feel bad for you. I'm also a sucker for a car project, and I understand the urge to bite when you see one. And your story about your Mom's money is certainly rough. But you are in the worst position possible now. You are acting purely from emotion but you think you're acting out of reason and logic. You're going to get fleeced.

Really, even if you win big...how will Norwood pay you? My guess is he's padding the bills because he needs the money himself. Where are these triple damages and pain and suffering payouts going to come from? Let's say you somehow get away with paying only 50k in legal fees, and "win" 400k (which is fantasy land but just for kicks, let's say that happens). If Norwood can't pay, or won't pay, or appeals, you still have to pay your lawyer. Then what? Maybe you get your car back? So then you're an extra 50k in the hole plus whatever it takes for you to make your car usable and meet your expectations (fixing the chassis, brakes, more engine work, paint, interior)....that's another 50k at least.

I'm done now. My posts have been well intentioned. I think you're crazy if you proceed. My prediction is you'll end up much poorer, fighting with at least one more attorney, dealing with an even more upset wife, and at best have a useless car in your garage, feeling even more embittered by the whole process, cursing those of us who urged you to walk, and posting about it all here, but I wish you luck nonetheless.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #384 paulchua, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    This is a well written and excellent post. I don't think anyone could have presented the situation any better. The poker analogy is spot on. Russ, many including myself sympathize with you, I personally think you got taken advantaged of. That said, Dave and others bring up great points, sometimes it's better to take one's lumps and move on - instead of trying to fight an uphill battle. I seriously hope you get some closure here, and if I were in your shoes - I would be in full damage mitigation mode, and try to salvage everything the best I can. Settle with the parties somewhere in the middle, (yes, you'll take a hit) - liquidate the parts, and buy yourself any number of already made replicas available here and enjoy it! (Be sure to do a PPI though!)

I wish the best.

davemqv likes this.
  10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    OR, let's take the money that would go to legal fees, buy every single one of those replicas, and crush them together into one big cube. A Mitzvah!

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    oy vey! As the saying goes - there is a seat for every butt, considering that Russ was okay with a 308 ala 355 turned 288, I figured he would be okay with any number of these 'inspired' vehicles. Of course, personally, I would shun any 'replica' no matter how poor I was, I understand many do not share this sentiment; more power to them - whatever brings others happiness. Personally, however, given the choice, I would always choose an authentic 'basic' model than the 'best' fake model of anything. That's just me.

davemqv likes this.
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Same here. The only reason I brought it up in my arguments to Russ is the value issue, otherwise while I'm not a fan of tributes or replicas, I say different strokes for different folks.

paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    well said Dave!
    Cheers

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Accepted.

I'm bowing out of this thread. I used to be subscribed and the only reason I dropped it is I would find myself going in forums like P&R and some other general discussion one. I found myself getting involved with crap I didn't even care about. I guess now those forums are extinct anyway because I don't see them listed now. I do miss the business forum, but that's gone now too.

15. MellyVille

MellyVille Rookie

Jul 27, 2010
    USA
    Russ, your arguments are correct, you are in your right and Bob messed up, at least according to your stories. But what does it matter now. Stop it. Pay. Take that tiny extra loss, at least have the car and have another shop fix everything and drive the car THIS YEAR. Stop wanting to be right. Even if you win without court and Bob honors your arguments, you still have paid 50k or more for 5k worth of work. I.e. Overpaid big time. Just pay what he wants, drive home, fix car, then start discussions with Bob.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  16. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

I'm of two thoughts on this. 1. I think it's pretty cool to recreate a car that isn't available to most -- especially if everything used is genuine Ferrari. Sort of like how Ferrari did originally with the 288. I view this as a cool project that I would like to try -- the difference being that I would do all the non-computer work myself. 2. I don't really like what I'll call "fake" tributes. A-la Fiero based recreations.

I do think the thread on the Pur Sang Bugatti is enjoyable. I think that is a very, very cool car. Way beyond a "tribute" car, as that is an exact duplication of everything the original had.

Having said this, I'll probably never do a recreation or tribute car. I think my next endeavor, once I retire, will be to restore/resurrect a project TR. Sort of like the "Ratarossa" (go see the Boxers/TR/M forum).

I think this thread needs a little humor injected. Here ya go: (and this is not a dig at Russ. I think what he's doing is cool).
    https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-worst-replica-cars-ever-built-464801529

Sid

paulchua likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good points and I know what you mean. There is a situation where one can reasonably create the 'same car' as a famous legend. Shelby Cobra replicas come to mind. They are pretty much the same thing as the originals, sometimes even better!. I hope my last post didn't come off as facetious - I do subscribe to the personal philosophy of doing what makes you happy as long as you don't hurt others. My replica comment is most definitely in the context of Fierroari. Or in this case, the now infamous '358'

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope.

19. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Naah. Not even close. I knew what you meant.

Besides, I think you are one of the most reasonable, levelheaded guys here on FCHAT.

Sid

paulchua likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks, Sid, the sentiments are mutual my friend.

21. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    They're all still here. You have to be subscribed to see them.

I have no dog in this hunt. Quite frankly, no one does except the OP. But what I think is that he got taken advantage of and was WAY too late to start questioning things. This is not the first or the last tale I will hear about Norwood (I live in the Dallas area), so he and his business practices will always get the side-eye from me. I also agree that airing all of this on a public forum before it is legally settled makes things much harder for any attorney taking the case.

My bottom line on it is that there's plenty of information out there about all the people involved. Do your research before you spend a lot of money or buy a lot of BS. I am sorry for the OP and absolutely think he's getting screwed, but this entire mess could have been avoided.

Texas Forever and davemqv like this.
  22. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    So Dave, appreciate all the effort you are making. If I understand, you now no longer think I should just sign over my title and walk away? But rather I should pay Norwood more money to retrieve my car sight unseen?

Curious, under what circumstances would you pursue legal action, if not to recover your property and be made whole for damage to same. Following your chain of thought, one should never sue because lawyers are all out to fleece their clients and even if they win, you don't get anything. If that were true all lawyers would be out of business.

Having said that, we did some research.

ENTITY NAME : Norwood Autocraft
    Mark Filing Number Name Entity Type Entity Status Name Type Name Status
    77205500 NORWOOD AUTOCRAFT, INC. Domestic For-Profit Corporation In existence Legal In use
    64768200 NORWOOD AUTOCRAFT SALES, INC. Domestic For-Profit Corporation Forfeited existence Legal Inactive
    44312100 BOB NORWOOD AUTOCRAFT, INC. Domestic For-Profit Corporation Forfeited existence Legal Inactive

Apparently "Forfeited" does not mean the same thing as declaring bankruptcy though. It means he failed to pay the annual franchise fee.

Also have learned that I can sue not only Norwood, the general contractor, but also his subcontractors to the extent they had a hand in this affair. I think his guys are subcontractors not employees. And his partner Tim also had a hand in this mess. He did all the CNC work as best I can tell. Hate for it to come to that, they are nice guys who have been nothing but polite and respectful, but legal action is war.

What's a "Mongo"?

showme1946 likes this.
  23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Russ, as I said prior, you can sue him but have a very detailed discussion with a good lawyer first. If the lawyer doesn't tell you that the legal fees will be prohibitive, I'll buy you a beer. And, once you are done with the legal action and the reality becomes the fees are prohibitive, please buy me a beer ;)

Sadly, the legal system is very flawed for cases over small claims limits and hundreds of thousands of dollars. It just sucks.

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Russ,

When you say “we did some research” who is the “we”?

Matt

25. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Russ
    I read the thread beginning to end, clear to me you were taken advantage of, however, why let this saga drag on as its clearly affecting your personal life and the loved ones around you. Pay him out collect your car, show up with a bank draft and a sheriff, sign his waver and be done with it.
    Far too many lawyers in my family and this will end up costing significant money, which will be the easy part. The family turmoil will only continue, so why put yourself and loved ones through something like this, as it may drag on for months possibly years.....my 2 pennies worth
    Best of luck in whatever choice your family makes
    Ron